Stefan Audio Art: Voice Cable, $1,400
Sep 11, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #46 of 53
I've also heard they are manufactured in outer space. Is it true?

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #47 of 53
I see why this thread was 'dead'. Its full of childish people who would rather attempt to amuse each other than actually do anything productive, or have an actual discussion rather than a comparison of bad humor. What a waste of time.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #48 of 53
I see why this thread was 'dead'. Its full of childish people who would rather attempt to amuse each other than actually do anything productive, or have an actual discussion rather than a comparison of bad humor. What a waste of time.

Where is your sense of fun? There is truly nothing more wonderful in this world than the laughter of children cable doubters.

If you want to get all serious for a minute. I have firsthand experience of heavily corroded/water damaged cables working perfectly. Twisted pair for RS-485 serial, 3.3mm^2 figure 8 for 24v AC power and RG59 for video. The video from a CCTV camera was then proven and tested to be working both subjectively by viewing it and objectively by measuring it with a waveform monitor.

The logic then follows that if a cable is that bad and yet functions as well as a brand new or even a better quality cable(it is obviously not ideal at all, but was still functional), how can you logically make the leap to conclude that exotic materials and pseudo science somehow are a huge difference over a perfectly fine and good quality cable that is affordable, especially given that I have myself witnessed no difference between said good quality and knowingly damaged/faulty cables.

Just something to consider. I know there may be some flaws to this logic but I think my main point is clear enough.

Oh and I did replace those cables of course as such cables even if working sufficiently well now, may fail in future

I

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #49 of 53
I've always thought that the search for a really bad cable would be a worthwhile method of examining the question of cables effecting sound without the high expense of boutique cables.  

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #50 of 53
Quote:
Now it would be a lie for me to say that the price of the VOICE is by any stretch of the imagination 'fair', however, assuming anything SAA writes is to be trusted, here is my take on why the company is to some extent reasonable: All headphones sound different, and each one 'needs' a different composition of materials to sound their best when it comes to cables. Such as some dark headphones being better with silver than copper to make a simple example. This is where I think SAA is doing something right over other companies. Most manufacturers of cables, have an array of cables they make from a given material, and thats it, so basically a aftermarket-stock-cable if you will. What SAA claims to do with the E-series and Endorphin series, is to take each headphone, and then test an array of different conducting materialt and treatments of said materials, until they find the one that complements it the best, which is why you select which headphone to buy the cable for specifically. This concept I strongly support, and I think the price of their calbes up to the Endorphin is fair, given the effort that is put into it. As for the connectors, they are all cryogenically treated and Rhodium plated as far as I'm aware, which for example costs several hundred bucks from Furutech. And you're ofcourse paying a premium for the nice wooden parts and so on, like it or not. As for experience and knowledge about sennheiser, the founder of SAA worked for sennheiser for many years, so he should know a thing or two about their cables. Now when it comes to the VOICE its their most extensive piece of kit yet, and it is taking it to the extreme, where most common head-fi'er will jump off the train. The're is most likely a reason for it being more expensive than the other cables, but I cant think of much that would justify this pricetag, without knowing the specific manufacturing process and materials. I'm not going to defend the honey coated writing they present, but the idea that they work from is the right way to go in my opinion, now the price is the only thing they need to get right. And with the E-series I think they're entering the market for more average-joe hifi'ers... Just my two cents

Until they are able to prove that their cable makes an actual difference in a peer reviewed study, or hell - a well done DBT even, no one here is going to do more than scoff at this.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #51 of 53

You're right. It probably was funnier when people were copy/pasting big chunks of pseudo scientific mysticism from the wire's web site. No one can compete with the wild imagination of the real deal when it comes to expensive cable justifications.

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #52 of 53
I guess I shouldn't have said anything, now I cannot do this:
popcorn.gif

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #53 of 53
Quote:

Well, here's the serious stuff. I don't think you really wanted to know this.

Quote from their web site:

[size=small]To better understand our approach, we took a look at the cost of producing a typical high-end headphone amplifier. We were very surprised to find how little the parts and assemble costs of most of theses amps. were in relation to the $2000.00 to $10,000.00 selling price. In other words, it has become acceptable in audio to purchase and high-end amp. for these prices but it is still considered by many unacceptable to purchase a high-end headphone cable costing considerable less [/size][size=small]which will offer greater improvements than the amps.[/size]

[size=small]Translation: If people are willing to pay big bucks for cheap amp, why are they complaining about  price of my cable.[/size]

[size=small]Here's their technology (from their website):[/size]

The conductive surface consists of a new proprietary copper materialwhich is surrounded by a series of proprietary material yielding close to zero dielectric absorption. This approach combined with the use of  a variety of selected wood for the split point and connectors is a major factor in keeping the signal resistance extremely low.

Their claim is to have a newly invented copper and with a wood connectors (two types of wood to choose from). The conductivity is greatly improved. This is probably a better ??? than electron lubricant another cable guy invented. But it must quite a feat to invent (not discover) a new kind of metal. This guy must be almost like Tony Stark. The wood connector improving "signal resistance" is incredible.

There is more stuff in that web site, if you care to read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back