Stefan Audio Art: Voice Cable, $1,400
May 28, 2009 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

mbd2884

Headphoneus Supremus
Now that the HD800 are being shipped, let's talk about the Stefan Audio Art Voice cable which will be sold at $1,400!

Now it's not the price that bothers me most, even though it's just ridiculous.

Let's look at their marketing description of the headphones and the reasons why the stock HD800 cable which apparently replacement be a little over $200.

Quote:

The Stefan AudioArt [size=medium]VOICE[/size] is the new state of the art ultra high-end headphone cable from Stefan AudioArt and conceptualist / lead designer Kristof Rodzon. This collaborative effort has produced the most exotic and technically advanced headphone cable consisting of the finest material from around the world.

Master designer, Kristof Rodzon and Stefan AudioArt took the "nothing held back" approach and set out on a two year program which resulted in a signal transfer device which delivers the audio signal from a headphone amp. in the purest, most musically engaging fashion possible . The SAA VOICE internal and external architecture insures the purist electrical signal reaches the Sennheiser HD800 headphones. The conductive surface consists of a new proprietary copper material which is surrounded by a series of proprietary material yielding close to zero dielectric absorption. This approach combined with the use of a variety of selected wood for the split point and connectors is a major factor in keeping the signal resistance extremely low. With these parameters in place, the signal transferred to each driver in the HD800 headphones is translated to a much higher level of overall musicality and this is something no other headphone cable in the world can accomplish.

Ergonomically, the Stefan AudioArt VOICE is far beyond any other headphone cable on the market. The soft proprietary material hybrids provide comfort and noise free listening. This merger of comfort and perfect sound allow the most pleasurable and intimate musical experience possible.

The Sennheiser HD800's do not reach true world class sound with the accompanying stock headphone cable. The fidelity absorbing material used in internal and external structure of the stock cable considerable raise the signal resistance. This along with the use of untreated connectors (the molecular structure of the connector material still in a formation that restricts the flow of the electrical signal) and signal restricting material on key areas of the cable all result in degrading the performance of this state of the art headphone. Thus, the rich engaging characteristic of music which every true audiophile demands in the listening experience is lost.

With the proper cabling (power and interconnect) and vibration control applied to each component in your system, the HD800's and the Stefan AudioArt VOICE will elevate the performance to the highest possible level.

This is why SAA get's my vote as the ultimate snake oil company among the well known headphone recablers. Gross

New copper material apparently they designed. Yeah right... And specially chosen wood is key to keeping signal noise low. And somehow SAA knows the secrets of how Sennheiser constructs their cables also. I wonder if Sennheiser gave SAA a special tour. Shame on those untreated connectors. And you will be happy to pay extraordinary price for cotton sleeving. cause that is truly a proprietary and secret material!

Channel matching! Yes they make sure there is a signal in each connector to your headphones. Cause somehow they hand select each single wire used in their 4 conductor braided cable!

Earlier in the year SAA mentioned that their wire is soaked in oil? As if that is supposed to improve the sonic sound of your cables. Let me go grab some olive oil and pour it all over my cables!

Did I mention that these cables are also made for the HD650? Yes a $1,400 cable for your $320 headphone!

May 28, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 53
Ohh! Can I get #001. Can I pay a premium to have it? I know it will sound the bestest ever. Will I need an amp with it?

May 28, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 53
Well here is my take. No doubt it will be an excellent cable, but $1400? That's just stupid in my opinion. I'd rather have a second HD800 that I could mod. Now how in the world could he have spent 2 years perfecting the cable to yield the perfect sound with the HD800 when the HD800 WERE JUST SHOWN AT CES THIS JANUARY!?!?!?! You could spend 2 years on a cable but have no clue how well it will perform with the HD800 until you actually have an HD800 in your posession! Even if he got a pre-production unit in January, he did not spend 2 years making sure it worked perfectly with the HD800.

May 28, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 53
The cable hasn't been developed with the HD 800 in mind. Two years ago the HD 800 was just a dream. It's «just» meant to be the best headphone cable ever and usable for any headphone. Their marketing slogans aren't the most serious thing in the world, though. In SAA's defense I would say that their pretension of the Voice bettering the HD 800 stock cable in the mentioned aspects is based on the certainty that no headphone manufacturer would ever care for the «molecular structure of the connectors» and «close to zero dielectric absorption» before they touched an HD 800 themselves.

I'm curious about the «raise of the signal resistance» they attribute to the stock cable and pretend to fight successfully with their own creation, especially what this means for the resulting signal shape. They seem to be on to something.
wink.gif
I definitely would insist in corresponding measurement documents for the price of $1400 (Fafner, do you read me?).

However, it's fruitless to discuss a cable which nobody has heard so far. Sure, the price is debatable/ridiculous (depending on the point of view), but maybe you get a true counter value? After all the Equinox has a good reputation, and it's justified in my book. So SAA still hasn't become a snake-oil company in my book.

May 28, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 53
If people are willing to pay $1400 for a headphone, then surely a small percentage of those people will cough up $1400 for a cable.
That is SAA reasoning and stratergy. I have no respect for them
as a serious company any longer.

There are other companies who are doing a great service for the headphone community. Apuresound comes to mind, there are also a few head-fi MOT's that do great cables.

SAA make legendary cables, they thought with this reputation they could charge what ever the hell they wanted.

They thought wrong.

May 28, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 53
"The fidelity absorbing material used in internal and external structure of the stock cable considerable raise the signal resistance."

So if Sennheiser removed this "Fidelity absorbing material" they could make their cable both cheaper and better! What a stupid company, to deliberately incorporate a fidelity absorbing material into an audio cable, whatever were they thinking? Someone at Sennheiser needs to be sacked or at least put in a soundproofed room so they can laugh as loud and long as they want!! Let this be a lesson to other companies, if you are designing a high quality audio product, try to avoid Fidelity Absorbing Materials!!

I'd like to say that I've never seen such blatant rip-off marketing in the audiophile world but unfortunately ....

G

May 28, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 53
I had Signal Cable build me a cord for my 650's. I sent Frank my SAA Equinox so he could do comparisons. The cord he built for me was indistinguishable from the Equinox, at least to my ears. I've since returned it to him and he reterminated it in 4-pin XLR so I can use it on my new LD MKVI, which hasn't arrived yet. So I can't comment yet on how it sounds balanced.

He hasn't gone into production with the cord at this point, but I think he does plan on it some time. I won't comment on pricing, but let's just say it won't cost as much as the Equinox....

Cardas Senn connectors, and a Neutrik XLR. I'll post a picture of it once I get to listen to it on my balanced rig.

$1400 for a headphone cable is an insult to my intelligence....

May 28, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregorio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if Sennheiser removed this "Fidelity absorbing material" they could make their cable both cheaper and better! What a stupid company, to deliberately incorporate a fidelity absorbing material into an audio cable, whatever were they thinking?

You don't get it. There have to be some materials in the internal and external structure of the cable. Unfortunately non-fidelity-absorbing material has its price – that's why fidelity-absorbing material was used (not to raise the HD 800's price to $2800).

May 28, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 53
I thought my cables were thick, but these are monstrous. And he claims they are the lightest on the market.

3374055008_f0fbba96aa.jpg

Check out the humongous connectors, like that's what I want hanging from HD650s. Cardas connectors with extra massive padding on em, rofl. For $1,400 those had better be the Cardas 1/4" plug, and not some cheap nickle plated, not that they are bad, but you know, $1,400.

Also they use the same price $1,400 for both SE and Balanced. So they offer the Furutech XLR, which I think are like $75 each or about $145 per pair. Meanwhile the Cardas 1/4" is about $20. Hmmm...

3373238559_10d8ca25cf.jpg

May 28, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregorio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The fidelity absorbing material used in internal and external structure of the stock cable considerable raise the signal resistance."

So if Sennheiser removed this "Fidelity absorbing material" they could make their cable both cheaper and better! What a stupid company, to deliberately incorporate a fidelity absorbing material into an audio cable, whatever were they thinking? Someone at Sennheiser needs to be sacked or at least put in a soundproofed room so they can laugh as loud and long as they want!! Let this be a lesson to other companies, if you are designing a high quality audio product, try to avoid Fidelity Absorbing Materials!!

I'd like to say that I've never seen such blatant rip-off marketing in the audiophile world but unfortunately ....

G

That's freakin' hysterical. You almost made me spit out my fudge bar.
beyersmile.png

May 28, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #11 of 53
That cable will go great with a nautical decor. Plus that white fabric will stay nice and clean forever and ever.

May 29, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't get it. There have to be some materials in the internal and external structure of the cable. Unfortunately non-fidelity-absorbing material has its price – that's why fidelity-absorbing material was used (not to raise the HD 800's price to $2800).

I can't believe your answer, Jazz.

Are you actually supporting all that BS?? Do you actually think anything written in that paragraph comes even close to reality?

Now anyone who buys that stuff, please, send me $1000. As you are willing to give away money, you can also give it to me
regular_smile .gif

Or are you being ironic?
confused_face(1).gif

May 29, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you actually supporting all that BS?? Or are you being ironic?
confused_face(1).gif

I won't reveal it.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back