Steer me in the right direction - budget closed cans!
Mar 25, 2007 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

spronkey

100+ Head-Fier
My first post here as a registered user! (Long time lurker from down here in New Zealand
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Up until recently I've invested all my thought (and money) into loudspeakers, and amplifiers to drive them with, but now that I spend most of my time at University I havn't been paying my NADs all that much attention!

I only have 3 cans currently:
- Philips SHP895 which I paid US$25 new - my biggest hi-fi bargain ever
- Philips HP250s ($20US)
- Panasonic RP-HT455 ($14US)

I'm quite happy with the 895's for home - I could buy another new pair for $30 US if I wanted to, but they are open ear phones and I'm looking for some closed cans to get rid of the keyboard noises from other uni dwellers, and also stop annoying them with my music.

I'm using the 250's at uni at the moment, but I really want something a bit more.. audiophile. In the last few weeks I've listened to the following:
- Senn HD 212 Pro (bassy... midrange is vacant)
- Senn HD 202 (like a 212 but less bass and more veiled..)
- Senn HD 270 (pretty lacklustre.. worse than the 202's..)
- Senn HD 280 Pro (not as nice as my 895's, but nice for closed cans)
- Senn HD 25 (sound was OK but they feel so cheap!)

My budget (at a big stretch) is $150 NZ - so $100 US. Ideally under $60 US. Unfortunately, because I'm down in NZ, Sennheiser prices are weird. For example:
HD215 = $149 ($100 US)
HD280Pro = $289 ($200 US)

The only ranges I can get here easily are Sennheiser, AKG and Philips - and while I really want a set of 280Pros, the only cans in my price range are:
- HD 201 ($30 US)
- HD 202 ($40 US)
- HD 212 Pro ($80 US)
- HD 215 ($100 US)

What I really want is a full-sized circum-aural closed-ear eadphone that sounds as good, or close to as good as my 895s. I should also mention that this will be used from the headphone port on a laptop, and a desktop computer. Does such a product exist? :| If not, is it even worth upgrading my HP250s to the 201, 202 or 212 Pros considering my very limited budget?

Thoughts?

Mar 25, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 13
I don't know what the 895 sound like, but at least take a look at the Sony MDR-V6. I've seen refurbs around $50 USD, so they'd fit your budget and your criteria. I owned a pair of them for years and loved them. That is, until I bought the HD-650 on a whim and, worst of all, found this place.
k1000smile.gif

But they're a great entry point. I like how they fold up and they're convenient to take with you. I don't know if any of your electronics retailers carry them, but they're somewhat common in this part of the world. If you can find a retailer, take your iPod along and give them a listen.

Mar 25, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #5 of 13
you can get an alessandro ms-1 for $99 shipped
smily_headphones1.gif
they get lots of love here!

Mar 25, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 13
Damn
frown.gif
I can't seem to find anyone who can get Alessandros, the Sonys or the ATs!

International shipping on headphones seems pretty expensive ($30US or more..)

Mar 25, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by spronkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn
frown.gif
I can't seem to find anyone who can get Alessandros, the Sonys or the ATs!

International shipping on headphones seems pretty expensive ($30US or more..)

It's free for Alessandros I think, and around $7 from audiocubes (flat I think), and it should be included in the bluetin price
smily_headphones1.gif

For alessandros, go to http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 13
Well since the ATH-SJ5 hasn't been recommended yet, I guess I'll go ahead and do that
smily_headphones1.gif

SJ5 is said to have better SQ than k81DJ, costs $10 less from audiocubes, and is much, much more comfortable, albeit with a worse seal. I have some SJ5s on the way, they should be here by mid week so if you really care I could tell you my impressions of them when they arrive!
Here's some linkage:
http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Au...eadphones.html
Oh dang... only contention: these aren't circumaural, but they are still very comfy.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by hudsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SJ5 is said to have better SQ than k81DJ, costs $10 less from audiocubes, and is much, much more comfortable, albeit with a worse seal.

You just described the HD201 which is $40 cheaper than the SJ5.

Mar 25, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

I'm listening on my HD201 right now. great cheap cans!

Me, too! (There's synchronicity for you.)

After less than a day's break-in period, these settle into surprisingly enjoyable phones with decent detail and bass that's solid, but clear. They're solidly constructed, too. Adequate comfort - maybe the ultimate budget headphone right now.

Mar 26, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #13 of 13
Yeah, I'm definitely looking for CLOSED cans. Need to keep outside noises isolated - I would consider active noise-cancelling if they weren't so expensive!

How does the sound quality of the HD201's compare to the likes of the 212 Pro? Completely different league, or marginally worse?

Does the 201 do anything *better* than the 212 Pro? I listened to the HD202, HD280Pro, HD270 and PX100 and thought the PX100 was the best (except for bass) by quite a bit, but I also thought the 202 was very similar to the 212Pro.. albeit half the price..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back