Steak-Fi
Jan 17, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 10
That's because there's only one steak worth talking about: rib-eye, prime grade (bone-in vs. boneless a valid discussion, though).

Warmed to room temperature for at least an hour before cooking and seasoned only with salt and pepper.

Jan 17, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 10
Very well marbled. I just finished some scotch fillets (rib-eye) a day ago or so, but they were way too thin so I chop them up for stir fry (what a waste)

Other cuts from the sirloin/tenderloin area are great too. T-bone used to be something I always wanted to get when I was much younger, going to a restaurant.

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 10
Jan 17, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
That's because there's only one steak worth talking about: rib-eye, prime grade (bone-in vs. boneless a valid discussion, though).

Disagree, always bone-in.  That's just the physics of cooking, the rest is aesthetics and convenience.  Might as well pre-cut your steaks into 1/4's or 1/8s too while you're at it.

Porterhouse (not T-Bone; American version), Chateaubriand are great and often preferred alternatives by many.  I roll Porter>Ribeye>Chateau...

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Disagree, always bone-in.  That's just the physics of cooking, the rest is aesthetics and convenience.  Might as well pre-cut your steaks into 1/4's or 1/8s too while you're at it.

Porterhouse (not T-Bone; American version), Chateaubriand are great and often preferred alternatives by many.  I roll Porter>Ribeye>Chateau...

I'm not a fan of filets.  They just taste mushy to me.  Strip/Shell steaks have a good flavor but even Choice grade can be tough.  So, it's hard for me to like a Porterhouse since I don't like the two components. 

Bones transfer heat.  It's harder to get an evenly cooked steak bone-in.  The bone side will always be more well done and anything more than medium rare is a crime with good beef.  That said, if I go to a good steakhouse, I'll always order a bone-in rib-eye.

I go to Argentina every year and that is beef heaven.  The national cut is called bife de chorizo which, really, is a strip/shell steak.  Their beef is so good that I can literally eat one everyday.  Fantastic!

I didn't notice that the OP is from Oz.  That's some good beef, too. 

It's a shame that it is getting so much harder to get good beef.  Even Prime graded beef isn't as good as it used to be.

Jan 18, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 10
I enjoy Costco's bacon wrapped filets, but their thickness in combination with the bacon's propensity to cause flare-ups makes them tricky to cook to my preferred medium-medium well status! I agree, though, that a good ribeye is hard to beat. For a good NY sirloin, I like Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Mmm....

Has anyone done a serious comparison between grass fed and grain fed beef? If so, what did you find?

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 10

Has anyone done a serious comparison between grass fed and grain fed beef? If so, what did you find?

Columbus' best BBq place does a grass fed brisket which I find softer in texture compared to the non grass fed.  Hard to get a good grip on the flavor because it's a smoked brisket so it has a lot of hickory flavor, then there's the paprika based rub on the outside also.  Not worth the up-charge in my opinion in my situation.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 10
When I eat out it's fancy steak like this 16oz ribeye with tarragon/red-wine reduction

When I eat at home, it's just london broil panseared til medium-rare with beer. The beer costs more than the steak usually :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back