STAX: To charge or not to charge
Jan 12, 2009 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DannyB

500+ Head-Fier
I have a KGSS and SR007 Mk2. I usually leave my KGSS on all the time. Is it best to leave the headphones plugged into the KGSS all the time to allow full charge or to just plug them in a little while before a listening session?

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 13
I have the same combo, and I think the KGSS is Class A, which means turn it off. I leave the 007's plugged in always to save wear-and-tear on the connectors.

When I come home at night, I turn the KGSS on, and give in 20 minutes to warm up. I have tried longer warm-up periods but detect no difference in SQ. When I am finished listening, I turn the vol to zero, and shut the unit off.

My wife listens to the same CDs via balanced pass-thru on our Beta 22 (we come balanced out of our CDP, into the Beta 22, and pass-thru to the KGSS). I treat the Beta 22 the same way, knowing for sure it is Class A and this is the right thing to do since Ying, the bulder/owner at YBM Audio, told me so! We keep the balanced /markl/Lawton modded D2000 plugged in to the Beta 22 for the same reason -- protect the XLRs. The Beta 22 goes on and off right along with the KGSS.

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 13
Do you have it backwards? Connectors are designed to be plugged in and removed many hundreds, thousands of times and still function. XLR connects certainly are, their industry standard for being tough as hell. Leaving an amp on all the time, esp if its class A uses a fair bit of power, but its on/off heat/cool cycling that leads to componant wear isn't it?

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 13
Leave them in all the time, but turn on the KGSS 20 minutes or so before you start listening. For warm-up that is...

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #9 of 13
No, using them causes the most wear.
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have it backwards? Connectors are designed to be plugged in and removed many hundreds, thousands of times and still function. XLR connects certainly are, their industry standard for being tough as hell. Leaving an amp on all the time, esp if its class A uses a fair bit of power, but its on/off heat/cool cycling that leads to componant wear isn't it?

I do turn the KGSS off (said so in my post). The Stax connectors are not heavy-duty XLRs -- I have plenty of those and agree with you there -- but not with this 007 cable. Doesn't look industrial strength to me. With the amp off and the 007's plugged in, all I need to do is turn on the KGSS and let it warm up.

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #12 of 13
AFAIK charge-up is nearly instantaneous. The difference in sound that is usually attributed to charge-up is actually the warm-up of the components.

I'd go one step further and suggest that you discharge the headphones into your hand if you're going to not use them for lengthy periods of time.

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
KGSS + HE60 = pretty sweet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well of course, thanks to your cable! You 'da man!

I must say Senn did a terrific job rebuilding the HE60s. From total eBay garbage (NOT a non-smoking previous owner, ugh!) to 100% brand new, every component, for $400, including new original stock drivers.

But with the KGSS I still think the Spritzer-mod 007a's beat the HE60's on classical and female vocalists. However on the 717 the HE60 comes into its own. That's strange, isn't it?, since the 717 is Stax the O2's should be a better match than the Senns. But I hear what I hear.

So the 007a's live mated to the KGSS, and the HE60's are plugged in to the 717 always. The lambda sigs have married the MkII, and all is well in vintage stat'ville. (Something I posted about the 404s beating the lambda sigs was all wrong and I retract it ... I won't post the details of the mistake I made, but the lambda sigs are superior, no doubt). All three amps and all three phones were purchased used at great prices, my deep thanks to head-fi for teaching me all this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back