Stax SRS-2170 + SR-207 or Mr Speakers Alpha Dog + Fiio e12/ O2
Apr 3, 2014 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hardRocker1423

New Head-Fier
I listen to mainly modern rock, punk rock pop rock, etc. I would be listening to them at home, in a quiet environment. I am interesting in trying Stax, but I've heard a lot of great reviews about the Alpha Dog. If I am to buy stax, I have a couple of questions though, is there any chance a Stat headphone will shock me, is there any need for a normal amplifier in addition to the SRS-2170, and is it possible to play them from an iPad or laptop with no additional devices.

So which is the best for rock, Stax or Alpha Dog?

Apr 7, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 5
I have the same genre preferences as the OP. 

to answer your question about amps... No. Stax have their own amps. The plugs on Stax will not fit any normal amp. There a few aftermarket electrostatic amps though, Headroom makes one for example. You cannot play them from an iphone or ipad.

I had a brief listen to the SRS 2170 system with my ipod as source playing punk and metalcore music. They sounded great! They have sparked my interest to research the system heavily. Researching has led to me similar questions as you. Do I want mr. speakers or HE-400/500 or LCD2? I love the sound sig of an HD600 but want just a tad more bass extension. Everything else it does is near perfect. Unfortunately I have no experience with the other headphones mentioned. And, no where to try in Ottawa.

Apr 7, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 5
I have the same genre preferences as the OP. 

to answer your question about amps... No. Stax have their own amps. The plugs on Stax will not fit any normal amp. There a few aftermarket electrostatic amps though, Headroom makes one for example. You cannot play them from an iphone or ipad.

I had a brief listen to the SRS 2170 system with my ipod as source playing punk and metalcore music. They sounded great! They have sparked my interest to research the system heavily. Researching has led to me similar questions as you. Do I want mr. speakers or HE-400/500 or LCD2? I love the sound sig of an HD600 but want just a tad more bass extension. Everything else it does is near perfect. Unfortunately I have no experience with the other headphones mentioned. And, no where to try in Ottawa.

You can get the he-500s for much cheaper, on the FS. The he-500 sound just like the hd600s, but orthodynamic. Plus for the price, you can get a really nice amp to pair with it. The he-500 fit the bill perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back