STAX SRS-2050II Basic System vs. Koss ESP/950 vs. HD600 w/Dynalo
Sep 17, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #31 of 45

Quote:
Do the Stax have a bad "tone" compared to the HD 600?

Not so much... but... if you value rich, warm, bass and mids, with impact (though, still accurate, and not boomy)... yet... still good detail and treble extension, as well as soundstage and imaging - then you'll prefer the "new version" Senns (forget the "old version" Senns). 

The Stax sound is cooler, and more "pristine," with a bit more detail and clarity - but, without the bass weight and impact.   The O2's are "out of the question" unless you don't mind spending "thousands" on your set up for "a wee bit better sound."  The 507's are great, and can be driven with much lesser amps than the O2's - but, the comments above still apply. 

If you want a nice compromise... get the AD2000's - among the best there is.

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #32 of 45

Quote:

Not so much... but... if you value rich, warm, bass and mids, with impact (though, still accurate, and not boomy)... yet... still good detail and treble extension, as well as soundstage and imaging - then you'll prefer the "new version" Senns (forget the "old version" Senns). 

The Stax sound is cooler, and more "pristine," with a bit more detail and clarity - but, without the bass weight and impact.   The O2's are "out of the question" unless you don't mind spending "thousands" on your set up for "a wee bit better sound."  The 507's are great, and can be driven with much lesser amps than the O2's - but, the comments above still apply. 

If you want a nice compromise... get the AD2000's - among the best there is.

What would be considered a "new version" Sennheiser?

Would the Amazon HD 600 be a "new version"?

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #33 of 45

Quote:
What would be considered a "new version" Sennheiser?  
Would the Amazon HD 600 be a "new version"?

Most likely... all produced since about 1/08, as I recall - they have the white metalic material covering the baffles, rather than the black silk material.

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #34 of 45
Sep 19, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-X MkIII Pro is suppose to be neutral but I have only heard the normal bias version.

SR-X Mk3 Pro is tonally not too dissimilar to the 007 (Mk1), with maybe a touch sharper highs (a bit too sharp IMO). What it is, however, is forward, way more forward than the 007. Combine that with very saturated tone color and impressive resolution and you have a lively, very realistic sounding headphone. The bass is great on the Pro version, not quite as well controlled as the 007 but powerful. Haven't heard the normal version so I don't know how different it is.

If you like Grados especially the forward instrument placement you'll probably like the SR-X Mk3 Pro.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #36 of 45

Quote:

It's too difficult to tell from these pics.  You should probably contact the seller and ask them when they were made, and if they have the white metalic-looking material covering the baffles of the driver housing.  It's not the white felt covering the driver, but covers the baffles around the driver - it's very obvious.  Also - confirm that you can return them, if they aren't the "new version." 

Otherwise, get them at J&R, or B&H, in NYC - they'll let you return them.  But... all theirs are the "new version." 

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #37 of 45
I've owned all three hd600, esp950's and Stax 2020 system.

Here's my opinion
600's neutral sounding good bass but not fast enough so it give's the phones a somewhat sluggish sound.

Koss - decent speed and detail, not the best build quality, bottom basement amp that will be serviceable but you will want to upgrade sooner rather than later

Stax 2020 - does what electrostatics are supposed to do fast, detailed and open but does not have the extension of their upper range models. The amp does stop them from being rated higher, still good solid value for the dollar. Personally I would go with this over most of the $700 choices.

You didn't ask but if I wanted a phone that is exciting and fun to listen too, and don't want to spend a lot then listen to the RS-1i's easy to drive and get good sound.

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #38 of 45

Quote:
I've owned all three hd600, esp950's and Stax 2020 system.
Here's my opinion
600's neutral sounding good bass but not fast enough so it give's the phones a somewhat sluggish sound.
Koss - decent speed and detail, not the best build quality, bottom basement amp that will be serviceable but you will want to upgrade sooner rather than later
Stax 2020 - does what electrostatics are supposed to do fast, detailed and open but does not have the extension of their upper range models. The amp does stop them from being rated higher, still good solid value for the dollar. Personally I would go with this over most of the $700 choices.
You didn't ask but if I wanted a phone that is exciting and fun to listen too, and don't want to spend a lot then listen to the RS-1i's easy to drive and get good sound.

Thank you for the input!

I am concerned over the bass of the Stax 2020. I don't like the AD700 bass at all, and someone told me that the Stax sounded that way.

In your opinion, how much more bass impact does the HD600s have over the Stax?

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #39 of 45
I think in all likelihood, if you are worried about the lower model Stax not having enough bass for you, they won't.  Why are you not considering the Koss anymore?  I haven't heard them but from reports it seems they have more bass than those Stax.  Might be a good middle ground.  And it's great to own a koss product because of the no questions asked lifetime warranty. 

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #40 of 45

Quote:
STAX SRS-2050II Basic System vs. Koss ESP/950 vs. HD600 w/Sheer Audio HA-006++

Which is a better deal? They are all in the same price range.

I haven't heard the SRS2050, but it's a lambda so its going to sound bright or lack low-end weight. ESP950 and HD600 have linear FR and are more neutral. ESP does have a little bit of midbass bump, but rolls off quickly. The HD600 will have the best low-end extension. Both the stats can really do with a better amp than the ones they come with. (you can plug in ESP950 into a good STAX amp with an adapter.) HD600 + dynalo will get you the best performance for the buck. You'll get more dynamics and slam (and possibly more detail), but a little bit less speed.

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #41 of 45

Quote:
I think in all likelihood, if you are worried about the lower model Stax not having enough bass for you, they won't.  Why are you not considering the Koss anymore?  I haven't heard them but from reports it seems they have more bass than those Stax.  Might be a good middle ground.  And it's great to own a koss product because of the no questions asked lifetime warranty. 

I can't buy another amp for the Koss, and the one that it comes with has been complained about, WAY too much.

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #42 of 45

Quote:

I haven't heard the SRS2050, but it's a lambda so its going to sound bright or lack low-end weight. ESP950 and HD600 have linear FR and are more neutral. ESP does have a little bit of midbass bump, but rolls off quickly. The HD600 will have the best low-end extension. Both the stats can really do with a better amp than the ones they come with. (you can plug in ESP950 into a good STAX amp with an adapter.) HD600 + dynalo will get you the best performance for the buck. You'll get more dynamics and slam (and possibly more detail), but a little bit less speed.

Does this mean that the HD600 conveys as many details as the Stax?

Oct 4, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #44 of 45
Look, the Stax system is superior in most every respect to the senn 600. Even bass can be superior. That is, if you get the right combination of source, amp, power supply, etc. Pretty much in that order. Too much $$ for you sounds like. Me too atm lol. 

So, what to do? Simplify things.

Buy something decent and good at everything like the Denon AD2000 or the Fischer FA-002 and then spend the rest of your budget on the very best source and amp that you can get. Each part of the chain should cost about the same. Say $100-200 per.

I would go used here or on audiogon. Do not be afraid to buy old, top end gear. Good stereo products have not changed as much as home theater surround gear. One of my favorite dacs was a 15 year old PS Audio dac that was modded to the gills and only $100.

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #45 of 45
I agree w Tommytune's post. 

I can't even believe they are being compared :D ! Not in the same league.
All day long Stax basic system over any dynamic. 

Detail, speed, clarity, spacial seperation with each instrument, natural, detail in the BASS ! , not just more BOOM. I also have sony xbs 7000 for gaming & portable crappy fun phones, yes they have more boom, but no detail the bass, You get a far better experience with stax in the bass as well as all the other frequencies.

If you want more bass , eq !, I use an EQ & raise 30hz or 40hz or 50hz depending on your preference to get more slam."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back