STAX SRM-Xh + SR LAMBDA PRO CLASSICS
Jun 14, 2007 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

esuko

100+ Head-Fier
Hello to everyone

I'm new to this forum and also to quality headphones
rolleyes.gif

I wanted to ask about STAX SRM-Xh + SR LAMBDA PRO CLASSICS combo. What kind of sound charasterics i'll be getting with this kind of combo?

I realy want to try electrostatic earphones, but just wanted to know beforehand a little bit.

I listen to almost every kind of music. I'm fond of dynamic and soft sound.

So if you could help this beginner i would be so happy.

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 22
Welcome to the forums and sorry about your wallet.
biggrin.gif

This setup is the first of the Stax Basic line that is still available today even though it wasn't called that at the time. There is an ongoing discussion here on the newer models and this one is much the same. The SRM-Xh amp isn't all that good and the newer models are quite a bit better but if you can get this setup cheap if might be worth it. The newest edition can be had new from Japan with warranty for less then 500$ so keep that in mind.

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 22
As far as I'm aware the Lambda Pro Classic had an identical driver to the Lambda Pro, which is more than can be said for the current basic model, the 202.

Anyway, it's a nice basic setup, but don't try and convince yourself that it's a higher end setup than it actually is. I think you'll be happy with its sound signature.

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 22
I've never been able to get any proof that there are Lambda Pro drivers there but it could be. They aren't their best work and on top of it they used the cheap Gamma headband, cheaper plastic in the housing and the phones don't have the fiber glass inside the cups so they will sound very different.

Jun 15, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 22
Thanks for your replies.

I'm bidding this kind of combo at the moment prize is 180$. Three years old but only used for few hours.
I hope it's worth the money
plainface.gif

Jun 15, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by esuko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basic Stax system SRS-2050II cost here in Finland >940$. If i would buy from Japan 500$ after customs duty and other fees would be around 640$.

Street price in Japan is about 42000 yen tax inclusive, or about $350.

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

That cheap
eek.gif

Could you please give me a link for this kind of shop in Japan that you would recommend.

According to Kakaku, it's cheapest at Tantan. 39847 yen, tax inclusive.

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #11 of 22
Thaks again for your help.

Basically STAX SRM-Xh + SR LAMBDA PRO CLASSICS combo is the same quality as SRS-2050A Basic System?
Realy difficult for beginner to know the difference between Stax systems because there are so many of them.

Jun 15, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Basically STAX SRM-Xh + SR LAMBDA PRO CLASSICS combo is the same quality as SRS-2050A Basic System?
Realy difficult for beginner to know the difference between Stax systems because there are so many of them.

Well, they aren't identical at least, but are close enough.

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

If the Pro Classic uses the 1982 2um drivers they will have a slightly recessed midrange compared to the current SR-202 but the sound is fuller with a bit more bass "slam". The newer phones have a bit more sparkle and air but it's easy to live with either one. These are my impressions when I transplanted old Pro drivers into a 202 housing.

The drive unit will make a much bigger difference because Stax has improved the design with two revisions since the SRM-Xh. I'm not saying it is bad but the SRM-252 should be better.

Jun 15, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #15 of 22
Well there are many revisions but I really meant models (I stopped making sense after the 15th hour at work today). The SRM-212 is an updated version of the Xh which was in turn an updated version of the X. With the 212 there were at least three or four big revisions during it's lifetime. Stax redid the PCB layout a couple of times and tweaked the circuit as well. They did the same for the 007t and other amps but never announced it.

The Stax Basic System has to be one of the best bargains ever in audio. Build a nice beefy PSU for the amp and upgrade a few components and it will be killer for under 500$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back