STAX SRM-T2 "Staxs greatest electrostatic amp ever made"
May 7, 2017 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

protoss

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello audiophile enthusiasts,

Today we have Staxs greatest electrostatic amplifier they ever created!

The one and only Stax SRM-T2.

High-end Driver Unit for Earspeakers

The T2 was Staxs legendary flagship tube amplifier created for the original SR-Omega in 1994. Stax SR-Omega really needed a powerful amp to really get it going and the one amp that gave it to him was the T2.

The SRM-T1 S had a maximum output voltage of 300
The SRM-007tA / SRM-007tII have a maximum output voltage of 340V
The SRM-717 and SRM-727 have a maximum output voltage of 450V.

The SRM-T2 had a maximum output voltage of 630V

Stax SR-Omega was released in 1993. The T2 was released in 1994. It included a hybrid design in which two triode tubes of the type 7308 shielded with a metal tube in the first stage, MOS-FET Hitachi 2SK 216 in buffer + 2
stage, per channel in the preamplifier and 4 tubes of the type EL34 (6CA7) in the output stage are connected in triode was installed in the power amplifier. It also features Pro Bias outputs as well as a balanced input. Another special feature besides the high performance is an external power supply the SPS-T2. And finally the maximum output voltage of 630 Vr. ms at 1 kHz and more than twice the SRM - T1 S (300 V Vr. ms) at that time

------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT**
"Problems"

The build was really bad. Almost everything inside the amplifier was unstable and unwarranted. The T2 had known hum issues, over heating and power failures. It was also not properly safe for safety to keep on all day.

The T2 was Stax best attempt but failed to properly conceptualize it actually. Probably due to infighting within the department and the foreshadow bankruptcy soon follows.

Because of all the problems and A/B'ing the T2 vs 717 and others. The T2 is somewhat a hype machine that is completely flawed. The greatest thing the T2 did was getting the DIY community together and build their own amplifiers based off the ideas of the T2 and also creating a better version of a T2 called DIY T2.

After years later (2022), I concluded the greatest STAXs amplifier ever build was the 717, follow by the 313. The other amps are good with mods such as CCS mod.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical specifications:

Frequency Band:
1 - 70,000 Hz (100 r, m, s, output, when using one SR - Ω)
Amplification degree: 60 dB
Harmonic distortion rate: 0.01% or less / 630 V RMS output (1 kHz, when using one SR - Ω )
Input impedance: 50 kΩ  
Maximum output voltage: 630 Vr. ms / 1 kHz
Bias voltage: 580 V × 2
Power supply voltage: AC 100 V 50/60 Hz
Power consumption: 200 W
Weight Main body: 6.0 kg Power source (SPS - T 2) 12.0 kg
Size Body: W262 × H162 × D438mm Power supply W212 × H138 × D420mm
Remark Input circuit: 4 lines (one of the balance is the balance 3 HOT)
Output circuit: Balance / RCA each 1 line
Amp Units: # 50 to 250 (Expensive to produce and there is actually less than 50 out there!)

Introducing: THE LEGENDARY STAX SRM-T2

20200508_104454.jpg

This Amp is extremely rare and expensive.
11224046.jpg

The resolution that this product for the Omega was unheard of. It gave the Omega superpowers on another level.

Por%C3%B3wnanie_11.jpg

The amp had a nice transparency sound. The bass gets better, deeper, and higher. And the highs extend to unknown territories.

e.jpg

The T2's Voltage Swing of 650V was the secret weapon of why it was amazing. It provided a faster acceleration and deceleration of the headphone’s diaphragm.

f.jpg

l.jpg

INSIDE THE T2 - Warning only 18 years or older to look inside!

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

This amp really boils up! You can cook bacon and eggs on the grills here.

o.jpg

Because of the overheating and failure of the wires and parts due to technical difficulties of this amp, Version 2 was secretly was been made to address all the known issues.

index.php

This was the prototype of the revision of the first T2. Introducing T2 V.2

This model was supposed to fix all the issues.

This project never has seen the light of day because of what happened in 1995.

Number of units # Unknown - 1 to zero made

Nonetheless, this is the greatest Stax Amp ever created. The 2nd best Stax amp ever created is the DIY T2. And the 3rd and onwards are all the inspirations and admiration from the T2.

stax-srm-t2-4-3af8ac13.jpg

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 33
Did you mention it was incredibly unreliable and a disaster as regards heat and parts failure.....

May 8, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 33
You've forgotten the unregulated character of PSU, and how prone to toasting PCB was because of weak heat dissipation. Two things addressed in DIY version.

And Vpp is only part of the story in estat world, current is another one, at least as relevant regarding slew rate. Oh, and some pictures belong to Pierre Paya, french reseller in Nîmes.

Did you ever visit the other place ? Though informative for newbies, there's something a bit naïve in your writings, especially looking at all the very solid intel that already stands on head-fi (and elsewhere). Have you ever seen we are now on the third "all things Stax" thread ?

Ali

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 33
Did you mention it was incredibly unreliable and a disaster as regards heat and parts failure.....

No i did not mention the faults of it. Yes many problems with it. I am not writing about the failures of the product

May 8, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 33
🍻

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #7 of 33
But you guys made me remember one thing I did wanted to post but forgot to.

index.php

This was the prototype of the revision of the second. T2 V.2

This model was suppose to fix all the issues you two were describing.

I will note, YES many problems with the T2. But STAXs knew that. and was planning to address that with the T2.V2

This project never seen the light of day because of what happen in 1995

cheers

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #8 of 33
Hence KGHV T2 is the ultimate Stax amp :) and will be !!

Yes its very nice indeed. But i have to argue that all inspiration came from the T2 and such.

cheers

May 8, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #9 of 33
Yes its very nice indeed. But i have to argue that all inspiration came from the T2 and such.

cheers

It absolutely is, but KG is a genius himself, and thank to Kevin that we , mortal, can achieve the better T2 :). Not to mention other brilliant designs that we are so grateful for.

Now, we need to see how the T8000 compare lol!

May 8, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 33
While the SRM-T2 is undeniably an excellent sounding design, it's hard to accept its description of "greatest" given its known propensity to self-immolation due to poor electromechanical design - i.e. enclosing 4 6DJ8 and 4 EL34 tubes inside a small box, leading to overheating. Reminds me of Ike Eisenson's comment that the most important specification of a piece of audio equipment is its weight - because that tells you how much it will cost to send it back for repair! The DIY T2 solves that problem, and has an excellent regulated power supply to boot, that allows the circuit to fully demonstrate its qualities.

May 9, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #11 of 33
I wonder if the 'myth' surrounding the Stax T2 is partly the fact it was the high point of sound for Stax, and they never got to that level since? It may not be the fact it was 'the best' electrostatic amp ever made, as to get that award, it surely needs to work as expected for a 2 year warranty period for example, not fry the amp or headphones.

Stax still seems stubborn about sitting the tubes outside an amp. No idea why. Maybe child friendly, or they perceive it would be more socially acceptable and more robust? The new T8000 probably puts out a small increase in heat over the 007t or 727, so that is not an issue I imagine in that case.

May 9, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 33
Stax still seems stubborn about sitting the tubes outside an amp. No idea why.

Sure, they make stuff for the mass market, they want it to be 110% safe and user friendly. With exposed tubes a kid could theoretically poke a knife at the base pins and see hundreds of VDC, for example. So we'll probably not see another big tube system from them, they seem comfortable with the 9 pin in the chassis approach they've used so many times.

May 9, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #13 of 33
I think we need a little "The Greatest Amp Stax Never Made"
IMG_5294.thumb.jpg.a8962cf87f487fb5aa0dbbcef066bb99.jpg

As noted, without noting it's true history including inherent flaws, this article was boring.

And no reasonable consumer would buy a Stax SRM-T2.

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #14 of 33
🍻

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #15 of 33
Hi,

Looks like I should of went deeper into this article than any other.

I will say this.

1994 Staxs release the SRM-T2 at a price of $4200.00 cutting into their own profits. Less than 12 months. If its correct I believe it was 8 months the T2 was discontinued and forgotten. The SRM-T2 was not what everyone thought its was. It was actually a rushed product. People called it Beta Prototype SRM-T2. During time of the Omega and T2, 1993-95 there was serious disagreements with engineers and others about the items they were releasing. To my understanding not verified and most likely be impossible to verified some people hated the Omega and T2. And the indication of that showed through the lack of support to them afterwards. Now that's not boring. Well to me it isn't.

Also there was actually a final release version of the SRM-T2. Fully made most likely 1 or 2, documented and photograph but never seen the light of day. The final version fixed every issue everyone had with the T2. And of course I will bet the final version would of had issues but not massive ones overall.

You said 'no reasonable consumers would buy the T2'. Yes I agree %90, why should they? I will encourage everyone to go and buy the HeadAmp Blue Hawaii Special Edition or HeadAmp Aristaeus or KGSSHV! Hands downs you can not go wrong with those!

Now here is something that will tickle people the wrong way. Those 3 amps I listed will depreciate and depreciate in value. No question or argument around that! Just check headfi or any other place you easily get a massive discount of those from time to time.

T2 was released in 1994. And costed $4200.00. And unit created less than #50
2015 from a legit EBAY seller sold the T2 for US $19,411.50 !!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301431308798

I have to rest my case here.

cheers

Whole lotta wall conveying nothing.

I don't even believe you've heard an Omega or T2. Which makes your writing curious.

I also don't know how verifiable your information is. I'd rather Arnaud post a piece on the T2, then again, he wouldn't have presented some amateur hour BS for viewing pleasure.

So one sale of a SRM-T2 two years ago proves what point? You are arguing against fully available commercial products.
I bet my exotic less than #50 T2 DIY could be sold for $20k.

I bet once Justin stops manufacturing the BHSE its market value will increase.

Use some logic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back