STAX SRM-T2 "Staxs greatest electrostatic amp ever made"
Feb 27, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #31 of 33
The part of Stax problems with original T2 is, I will be betting, related on the final production to cost efficiency as a company by itself.

Judging by T2, and factor in the XXX to keep a company production running, the KG T2 would be sitting in the range of 25K easily....LOL!

From the posts over the years at the other place, I remember comments from KG and Birg about the heat, unreliable nature of the design and other matters that added to the problems of the Stax T2. The 4 x EL34 tubes inside that compact case along with the other tubes was not great. Stax don't seem to like putting tubes on the outside..... Looking at the underwhelming T-8000 I would be very surprised if they ever produce such a complex amp again. Which is a pity as regards pushing the 007 and 009 to there limits sonically. So it is left to other hero's to do that, the DIY community and KG. I heard the Trilogy at Can-Jam and it seemed incrementally better than the T-8000, well behind my Carbon at home, and also the BHSE that was sitting on the head-amp stand.

So IMO the interesting stat amps are coming via the DIY community, and I can't see that changing anytime soon. The high end stat market is small, and building a T2 level amp is not something a smaller company would try to do, but you never know....

Apr 22, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #33 of 33
I'm in the process of building a custom T2 from scratch. Needless to say it's the craziest build ever, lots and lots of measurements and trials. The casework itself took so long to get things in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back