Stax SRM-717 wont power up
Mar 1, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #17 of 22
i've had a browse around online, looks hard to find an exact match.. can find a 0.8A fast blow fuse at maplin but its only 20mm, and its more like 30mm for this fuse..

Maplin > 11/4in (31mm) Quickblow (F)

is the closest i've seen, but not THAT close.. perhaps slightly bigger by a mm or so

"Glass tube, fast acting fuses with nickel-finish brass end caps, overall size 31.8 x 6.35mm (11/4 x 1/4in.) diameter. Designed to IEC127. Rated at 60Vac. Supplied in 12 different ratings in packs of 10."

crucially this is 60Vac, not 250V. And also its 1A not 0.8A .. should i only try to get a perfect match? Or can you be a bit more generous so long as you're fairly close.. the 60Vac doesn't sound encouraging though, they have others that are 250Vac and i think i'll be happier getting equivelant ones.

Anyone got any ideas for a UK source, or even international if need be.

Cheers

Jim

Finding

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #19 of 22
For fuses there are two main features to look at:

- If it's slow blow or fast blow. When they're used to protect a circuit from excessive power demands, I'd use fast blow always.

- The product of the rated voltage times the rated current. In your case it's 250V * 0.8A which is 200VA. You can match that power factor with any other fuse yielding that product, so it might be 125V 1.6A, 100V 2A, etc.

It shouldn't be that difficult finding a suitable replacement.

Regards

Mar 11, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #21 of 22
After a mixup with the ebay seller i brought the fuses from i finally got some fuses through today... slotted one in tonight (rather ingeniously (i thought) wrapping it up in 3 plastic bread bag ties and using that to be able to manouvere it under the PCB of the transformer and then pull it back in to the clips) ..

Fired it up and power again.

Moved it back to its home and powered it up, reconnected the cans and its all fine.. listening right now... louder than perhaps i should but its needed to get over the slight noise of the PC.. still only at around 3.3 on the scale...

Phew!!!

I'll certainly probably NOT leave it powered on all the time now, although i'm not sure.. it had lasted for over a year or more in that mode. I'll also not be afraid to maintain it by taking the top off and blowing dust bunnies out of the heatsinks and casing.

Thanks for the help everyone... Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back