Stax SRM-1 - two headphones at once?
Sep 19, 2012 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JonJeffman

New Head-Fier
Sorry if this has been answered before but have been searching around and can't find an answer.  I have a Stax SRM-1 MkII, with both the normal and pro bias sockets.  I just recently purchased a set of SR-202's to go along with my Sigma normal bias.  

Can I plug both sets of headphones in at the same time to do some A/B comparisons?  And if I can safely do that, would it cause any sonic issues (i.e. would they reduce power available to the other, making both sound less dynamic), or would they each sound identical to when they were plugged in alone?

Thanks

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Sorry if this has been answered before but have been searching around and can't find an answer.  I have a Stax SRM-1 MkII, with both the normal and pro bias sockets.  I just recently purchased a set of SR-202's to go along with my Sigma normal bias.  

Can I plug both sets of headphones in at the same time to do some A/B comparisons?  And if I can safely do that, would it cause any sonic issues (i.e. would they reduce power available to the other, making both sound less dynamic), or would they each sound identical to when they were plugged in alone?

Thanks

During a quick search of the forums I found a post by Contributor "edstrelow" which said:
Quote: http://www.head-fi.org/t/171873/stax-sigma-high-vs-low-bias-phones/15#post_5532653:

I have since obtained a Stax SRM1MK2 amp which has both a high and low bias socket. I should add to the above review that with the SRM1 MK2, where I can run both simultaneously on the same amp, rather than the high bias set running from a tape loop, the advantages of the Sigma pro are greater. Some of the weakness of the Sigma pro in the prior review was evidently due to being in the tape loop.

I'm sure the "High-End" forum has more info on the questions you pose.

While I've never, simultaneously, connected a high and normal bias set of Stax ear speakers to my SRM1/Mk.II, I'm fairly certain it will work and it's safe. I don't see anything in my owner's manual that cautions against it.

Sep 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the info.
As long as it's safe and won't damage the phones or energizer, then I'll likely try it to do some initial A/B's but I won't make any final conclusions (or any dedicated listening) with them both plugged in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back