Stax SRE-15N Extension Cable, will they work?
Jul 15, 2008 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ze-ant

100+ Head-Fier
In my search for an extension cable for my SR-3, I came across the SRE-15N, which has a 6-pin in/female & 5-pin out/male.

Has anyone tried using this particular cable between a pair of Normal bias earspeakers and the Normal socket of an active powered energizer?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should work fine, as long as you don't plug it into a pro-bias socket.

Thanks. Would however be interested in hearing from someone who's actually tried it. Last thing I want is to get the cable and find out later that it doesn't work
redface.gif

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #4 of 7
Well, I got one of these with my SR-5NB gold edition, and it works, but now you have me wanting to dig it out to make sure it really had only 5 pins male, and not 6 on both ends...

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 7
Just checked, and mine is the same as yours - 6 female plugs on one end, and 5 male prongs on the other - and I haven't had a problem with it with SR-5NB and SR-Lambda on my SRM-1 Mk2 Pro normal bias jack. I don't use it much, because I sit right next to my amp, but it's nice to have.

Jul 15, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just checked, and mine is the same as yours - 6 female plugs on one end, and 5 male prongs on the other - and I haven't had a problem with it with SR-5NB and SR-Lambda on my SRM-1 Mk2 Pro normal bias jack. I don't use it much, because I sit right next to my amp, but it's nice to have.

Thanks so much, you just made my day!

Now hopefully I can get one and don't have to sit right next to my amp any more
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #7 of 7
Sorry to come in a bit late guys but a little further info.

They are generally modded versions of the original 'Normal Bias' 6 pin-2-6 pin extension cables, with the 6th pin at the plug end removed (which is one of 2 normal bias pins in a 6 pin arrangement) and the cable for it attached to the single bias pin of a 'Pro' bias arrangement.

This then allowed the modded extensuon cable to be usable with both 'Pro' and 'Normal' bias Stax. The risk, as HDAddict correctly indicates is ensuring you don't inadvertently try to run a Normal Bias headphone off a Pro Bias socket
eek.gif

They work quite well with both Pro and Normal bias headphones, though are not as good as the later wideband Stax extension cables (which are only Pro bias).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back