Stax SRD-7SBmk2 + Accuphase E-302 or SRM-1/Mk2?
Dec 29, 2008 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

VIrak

New Head-Fier
I've got my Staxes driven by an Accuphase E-302 integrated amp
( http://www.accuphase.com/cat/e-302en.pdf ), via an SRD-7SBmk2 energizer.
lambda.gif

My question is: Would I really gain anything by driving the staxes with e.g. an SRM-1/Mk2 from the pre out of the amp?

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi,

Not sure, but maybe you will gain some resolution power and micro dinamics details, though this could be also partially achieved with an upgrade of the crappy speaker wires mounted on the SRD7 if it is a stock unit.

On the negative side, you might loose power (dynamic) and control over the stax (especially bass).

I would personnally try to get the best out of the SRD7 with such a nice speaker amplifier, before considering moving to a regular Stax dedicated amp.

Oh, and if you decide one day to go down the O2 route, you will be much better prepared with you E-302 & SRD7 than with a SRM1-mk2

Regards,

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks!

Sacrificing dynamics and bass control is the last thing I want to do.
I'll look into modding the SRD-7SBmk2. I've actually got two identical units, so using one of them as a guineapig is not big risk, IMO.

Dec 30, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 5
Yeah, the general consensus are that direct driven amplifiers (like the SRM-1/MK2) let more micro details and sound stage through. While the transformer route (like the SRD-7), when matched with a nice speaker amplifier, have the potential of more power and hence control. Especially noticeable in the lower frequencies.

There are of course direct driven amplifiers capable of the power as well, but they cost $$$$

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would personnally try to get the best out of the SRD7 with such a nice speaker amplifier, before considering moving to a regular Stax dedicated amp.

Oh, and if you decide one day to go down the O2 route, you will be much better prepared with you E-302 & SRD7 than with a SRM1-mk2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back