Stax SR5?
Mar 2, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #16 of 31
The SR-5s aren't really comparable to modern Staxes, they sound very different.
The tonal balance is different, especially they are lacking deep bass plus they are more lower treble heavy.They are less tending into the direction of diffuse field equalization.
The modern Staxes are more effortless, but compared to most dynamic cans the SR-5s are still very "fast".
The main difference is the headstage.They are kind of gradoish electrostats, very lively and close to the action.

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #17 of 31
I can't vouch for the source requirements for the SR-X Mark III. Out of my Denon DVD-2900 the phone is amazing and unlike anything I have heard before. Out of the emu-0404 it sounds good, but not great. However, I think that is the difference in source quality not the temperament of the phones.

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
Great photos, Kuma. Mind telling us which camera/lens?

wualta,

Thanks.
It's a Nikon Coolpix P2.
I just got this and still figuring out how to use it.
Tried to upload the pix wirelessly but I have been unsuccessful thus far.
frown.gif

This one turned out ok, tho.
biggrin.gif

omega1.jpg

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

The modern Staxes are more effortless, but compared to most dynamic cans the SR-5s are still very "fast".
The main difference is the headstage.They are kind of gradoish electrostats, very lively and close to the action.

I agree.
It was surprising how different those Stax fones are.

Also, one thing still missing from all the Stax earspeakers to the RS1, W5000 and W2002 was the transient impact. In fact, both the SR5 and SRX reminded me of an AKG K1000 without a kick. Would have been an interesting comparison for sure.

When a kick drum comes in, the latter fones give a better impact than all of Stax. The Omega II being the most benign and slowest.

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #24 of 31
The last auction for an SR-5 gold (a relisting) ended at $177.50,but it went for $210~ in its first listing, lol. In ebay.de I see it going for 150-200 euros, most of the time.

As for the white SR-5 (thicker diaphragm at 5 micrometers)... I think $120-150 is the current going price. Could be a lot cheaper than that, depending on your luck =P

the SR-5 gold skyline889 was looking at came with an SRD-6/SB which is supposed to work perfectly with the phones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...y=40137&fkxs=1

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #26 of 31
Self-Biasing, which means it won't need a wallwart to work, if I remember correctly. (plug em into a battery-powered amp like the T-amp, and wala, you now own a semi-portable electrostatic setup
biggrin.gif
)

I've seen the SR5 gold go as low as $88 euros (buy it now), once. (seller accepts paypal and ships worldwide, too) AND I COULDN'T BID ON IT T_T

Mar 2, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #27 of 31
I picked up my SR-X Mark III with SRD-7/SB for $100 off ebay. I have no idea how that fits in though.

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #28 of 31
The SR-5 Gold is really a sweet sounding headphone. Nice mids like the K501, very quick, with a little more warm sound and a little less soundstage compared to the Lambdas. The perfect can for ambient, rock and chamber music (string quartets and the like). For bigger orchester music (symphonies) I prefer the Lambdas.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmatrix
I picked up my SR-X Mark III with SRD-7/SB for $100 off ebay. I have no idea how that fits in though.

It fits in as a freakin' steal, period. You got the best deal on a Stax anything that I've seen in the past two years-- about half the going rate. I know this places a heavy moral burden on you, but I'm sure you'll live up to it, hee hee. Start saving for that killer amp.

Consider this: it's taken the dynamic headphone world 30 years to catch up, and only at triple the price you paid and above.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #30 of 31
Well me picking up deals seems to be the order of the past few weeks. I picked my Denon DVD-2900 for $250 from Crutchfield. That plus the Sr-X headphones equals a killer setup on the cheap.

Vintage E-stats I think are a good way to get into hi-end headphones and I would recommend them to anyone who asks. Although I would pair them up with a modern source becasue that is where a lot of progress has been made in the past years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back