Stax SR5?
Feb 27, 2006 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

skyline889

Headphoneus Supremus
Who here has heard the SR5? Is it decent? It looks really nice but how does it compare to something like a Sennheiser HD650 or an AKG K701? Go team vintage
lambda.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 31
you mean these?
sr5.jpg

They were great on the end of Naim CDS3/555PS/552 and using a NAP300.
icon10.gif

What's even better was the SRX Mark 3. But these really need a top notch front end source otherwise they can sound too analytical and bright.

An SR5 is a good all arounder.
Really surprised the heck out of me how great they did.

Feb 27, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #3 of 31
Thanks, I couldn't find much info on these, if I can get them for a reasonable price I'll probably buy them, I just want to test out an electrostat before I plunge into the higher priced realm of Stax. Anyone know how much these are worth?

Feb 27, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #4 of 31
I"m gonna be shot to hell for saying this, but I prefer these older vintage Stax fones than the Omega II.
eek.gif
( I did a mini shoot out between the SRX, RS5 and Omega II using the same electornics )
They are flat earth earspeakers in that had a better ability to carry a tune than thier current higher end models.

I am curious how much these go for. I don't mind the SRX around and sure my friend is not willing to let his go!

Feb 27, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Could you tell me how I would hook these up if I bought them? I saw a picture of the back and am kind of confused.
confused.gif

You need an SRD 7 Energiser. ( it's an adaptor )
srd7_front1.jpg

It's an active transfomrer type of thing that hook up directly to the amplifier.
On the back side, it has a power cord, speaker terminals and four speaker leads.
srd7_back.jpg

srd7_banana.jpg

These banana plugs go directly to the regular amplifier.
I would not recommend using these for your speakers, but it is pretty nifty device for a Stax 'fones as you can choose any amplifiers to you liking.
When he bought his Stax 'fones, since they did not make a dedicated amplifier for them, all Stax fones came with these *energisers* is my understanding.

Feb 27, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

The one I was looking at comes with a SRD-6 adapter so would I still need to buy the SRD-7 Energiser?

The 7 for sure worked well.
You should check with a Stax distributor to see if SRD 6 works or not.
My friend has three SRDs and they all work with various different Stax 'fones.
But the one we used was SRD7 and it worked with RS5, SRX and Omega II.

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

The one I was looking at comes with a SRD-6 adapter so would I still need to buy the SRD-7 Energiser?

The SRD-6 will work. I still haven't found _anything_ about the differences between the SRD-6, SRD-7, SRD-7 pro and SRD-7 MK2 (sonically) over the last 4 months.

Quote:

What's even better was the SRX Mark 3. But these really need a top notch front end source otherwise they can sound too analytical and bright

Eh, I thought the older SR-5 was a better phone overall
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh well, at least it'd suit my not-quite top notch front end. Go go team vintage
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
Eh, I thought the older SR-5 was a better phone overall
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh well, at least it'd suit my not-quite top notch front end. Go go team vintage
biggrin.gif

I like the SR5 quite a bit, actually.
It sounded quite nice over the SRX with a CDS3 sans the 555PS and 552.
It's interesting that I didn't mind the SRX so much with higher end source and pre infront. ( besides, they look cooler
tongue.gif
)

IIRC, an SRD 6 only had one 'fone input where as with the 7, you can drive two cans simulteniously.
My friend told me that the 7 came with the SRX or higher end Stax models.
Altho, I don't quote him on that since this was almost 25 years ago!
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:55 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

These take up the speaker connections? Since I only have a 2 channel amp would I have to decide between these or my speakers? Or is there another way to hook them up.

Not to worry.......The Energiser has a control for selecting either speakers or 'phones.
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Oh okay, so the plugs for the adapter go into my amp and my speakers run out of the SRD-6?

skyline,

Correct.
If you take a look at the pix of the 7 i've posted, the knob switch between 'loudspeakers' and 'earspeakers'.

Altho, I usually do not care to have it for my speakers. Almost always, extra switches/parts degrade audio signals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back