Stax Sr001, Have some thoughts and opinions.
Oct 5, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #16 of 34
I have just received my SR-001, and its lovely. Enjoying it.

I am really itching to find out how it would sound (ok SR-003, or the 001 with the regular cable) with a real amp. Would love to hear reviews from those of you lucky enough to have an EA-1, or Woo or KGSS or KGBH, or ES-1, or any other full scale stat amp. So Andy, would love to hear your extended listening notes.

I remember reading that Mikhail has tried it with the ES-1, and would be interesting to compare with the Omega II (sounds like David vs Goliath? The signature is similar...more so than with the 4040 et al).

Of course, even better, the long awaited KG portable would be even more interesting. I also remember reading he bought a SR-001 too...

Kevin, if you are reading...:), we are a ready market for your portable amp.

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by pchong
I remember reading that Mikhail has tried it with the ES-1, and would be interesting to compare with the Omega II (sounds like David vs Goliath? The signature is similar...more so than with the 4040 et al).

They're both made the same way, out of a PCB, by the same design team, so they should have a similar character.

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
I also read that Kevin Gilmore's portable amp design is in the same price range as the KGSS/BH >.>

wow, where did you read that? Since KG doesn't sell any amps, would be interesting to hear his thoughts on the cost...are you saying the parts are similar price ballpark? But what does that mean, considering the spread between KGSS and KGBH is a big spread...from Headamp - $1400 to $2500...

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

wow, where did you read that? Since KG doesn't sell any amps, would be interesting to hear his thoughts on the cost...are you saying the parts are similar price ballpark? But what does that mean, considering the spread between KGSS and KGBH is a big spread...from Headamp - $1400 to $2500...

Well, the KGSS will set you back somewhere between $400 and $800 depending on how scummy the parts you want to use, so that sounds pretty reasonable for a portible amp too, considering it'll need a rather big battery pack.

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
I also read that Kevin Gilmore's portable amp design is in the same price range as the KGSS/BH >.>

Must be some expensive parts if that's the case? A portable tube amp perhaps?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu
very_evil_smiley.gif

Portable tube? hmm...must be transportable type...some of you may not be old enough to experience the first generation mobile, um transportable, phones...those which came with a suitcase.

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

Nah, it'll almost certainly be solid state, use BJTs, and have a small amount of negitive feedback. Although I'd love to be wrong.

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Portable tube? hmm...must be transportable type...some of you may not be old enough to experience the first generation mobile, um transportable, phones...those which came with a suitcase.

Well I was just speculating about tubes as a way to guess what parts could make a portable cost a similar amount to build as the KGBH. I've certainly not seen a single tube amp remotely portable although I have been tempted to try and build such a device. I suspect getting enough gain without sacrificing sound quality or needing a massive battery pack would be the main problem.

I'm not a spring chicken but I haven't seen the earlier transportable phones myself either.

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Nah, it'll almost certainly be solid state, use BJTs, and have a small amount of negitive feedback. Although I'd love to be wrong.

Indeed, my tube comment was facetious.
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Well I was just speculating about tubes as a way to guess what parts could make a portable cost a similar amount to build as the KGBH. I've certainly not seen a single tube amp remotely portable although I have been tempted to try and build such a device. I suspect getting enough gain without sacrificing sound quality or needing a massive battery pack would be the main problem.

I'm not a spring chicken but I haven't seen the earlier transportable phones myself either.

eh, maybe giving my age away...though I have never owned one, but I have seen them in use...came in a suitcase, and a handset connected by a short curly wire...the first mobile I owned was a brick like (really like a brick in size and almost the same in weitght) Motorola, with an antennae sticking out about 5 inches, and battery life of about an hour talk time, standby maybe 7 hours. Compared to my Blackberry now, while not small by today's standards is way smaller, lighter and the battery lasts 5 days on standby...don't even know how much talk time.

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

eh, maybe giving my age away...though I have never owned one, but I have seen them in use...came in a suitcase, and a handset connected by a short curly wire...the first mobile I owned was a brick like (really like a brick in size and almost the same in weitght) Motorola, with an antennae sticking out about 5 inches, and battery life of about an hour talk time, standby maybe 7 hours. Compared to my Blackberry now, while not small by today's standards is way smaller, lighter and the battery lasts 5 days on standby...don't even know how much talk time.

Oh, you mean literally "phones". I was thinking you were talking about "headphones" in the days before IEMs and earbuds. Yeah, I remember brick like cellphones, no need to feel old.
wink.gif

I'd actually be happy enough with a portable Stax amp the size/weight of one of those. Just something I can throw in the bag and take to work. Of course something smaller that could fit a pocket or hang of a belt would be better.

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

I've certainly not seen a single tube amp remotely portable although I have been tempted to try and build such a device. I suspect getting enough gain without sacrificing sound quality or needing a massive battery pack would be the main problem.

Considering most micro minature tubes have either medium or high gain, it's entirely doable. Of course, most such tubes are intended more for current amplification than voltage amplification, so short of a rather devoted application of Ohm's law, they'd be hard to make a portible electrostatic amp out of.

Quote:

Indeed, my tube comment was facetious.
wink.gif

Get outta town!

Oct 5, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #29 of 34
heya guys

i've been happily jamming away on my portable stax for a while now. so good. what's this upgraditis everyone keeps mentioning?!?

i've never tried them using external power, only batteries. some rechargable ones that a bought from some company on someones recommendation (hey - give me a break: to tell you the brand i'd have to stop listening, open my bag, turn off the amp and open it up! if you really want to know you're just going to have to wait till i get home and check the charger!
tongue.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back