Stax SR-X9000
Jan 29, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #2,836 of 3,016
The Eksonic Aeras is made in the EU (i think Greece). My X9000 sounds great with it. Eksonic also makes a T2, but I believe that model is made in the U.S., so could have some import costs if you go down that route.
The T2 is made in Greece too.

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #2,837 of 3,016
will check this thank you so much for the info!

Feb 6, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #2,838 of 3,016
x9k_1.jpg

It's here! A month ahead of schedule as I had planned to get it for my birthday next month but wasn't sure how long stock at my preferred dealer would last. Oddly enough, I wasn't filled with anticipation, but that's probably because I had demoed it twice before committing to the purchase. Even though my setup isn't as fancy as the ones where I demoed it (I'm using my PC setup with a FiiO K9 Pro AKM feeding an SRM-353x right now), I still think it's the single best headphone that I've heard (thus far). I'll listen on my dedicated setup (Ferrum Erco -> modded SRM-006tS) a bit later.

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #2,839 of 3,016
x9k_1.jpg
It's here! A month ahead of schedule as I had planned to get it for my birthday next month but wasn't sure how long stock at my preferred dealer would last. Oddly enough, I wasn't filled with anticipation, but that's probably because I had demoed it twice before committing to the purchase. Even though my setup isn't as fancy as the ones where I demoed it (I'm using my PC setup with a FiiO K9 Pro AKM feeding an SRM-353x right now), I still think it's the single best headphone that I've heard (thus far). I'll listen on my dedicated setup (Ferrum Erco -> modded SRM-006tS) a bit later.
Congrats. One of the most beautifully crafted headphones.

Feb 7, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #2,840 of 3,016
Alas, the X9000 doesn't sit on the Hifiman headphone stand/seat. It's too floppy. I'd like to get the Woo Audio headphone stand, but the black ones seem sold out for a while.

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #2,842 of 3,016
The wooden Stax stand works well. The use of wood and having a wide open gap seems helpful in reducing moisture buildup. Moisture is your enemy with electrostatic headphones. Also the stand has zero sharp edges.
I have a STAX wooden stand that I've been using for my L700mk2. I'll transfer that "throne" to the X9000. I'm just used to Hifimans where hanging them by the headband will stretch it out and make it lose tension.

Feb 7, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #2,843 of 3,016
I can't speak for the Novem, but the Aeras does have very similar character, but the (eksonic) T2 is more open than it, along with a bit better bass extension and subbass (not by a whole lot). Both are really open and spacious. I don't think I'd give the nod to either over the other as they're really good in that regard. The Grand Cayman was spacious as well and less clear on whether it was more open than the BHSE for the same reason, all 3 are really good. The timbre on the T2 definitely is weightier on the Aeras and T2 for sure than say the BHSE, and it is maybe a smidge warmer than the BHSE (but definitely not as warm as the Aeras), so I do understand if someone finds it a thicker tone or even too thick a tone. Again though, I haven't heard the Novem at all so I can't speak on comparisons on it, but have heard it pairs nicely with the x9000.
I have the #001 Novem back when it was 1 box instead of 2 and it's been my favorite pairing for the X9000 so far, with Lundahl transformers on speaker amps a close second. Personally, I preferred the Novem when I compared head to head with a DIY T2. Definitely not saying the T2 was bad, it was just too thick for me compared to the Novem which gave me that holographic open air sound I desire.

Congrats! I knew it was only a matter of time until you got one. I think I even commented as such when you first tried it that once you have that bug, you aren't going to shake it until you get one, that's what happened to me when I heard the X9000 at least.

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #2,844 of 3,016
Definitely not saying the T2 was bad, it was just too thick for me compared to the Novem which gave me that holographic open air sound I desire.
Ah, that's what I wanted to describe in my Aeras vs BHSE comparison. The Aeras was just a slight bit thicker sounding than the BHSE, and I'm all about open and airy sound so that bias towards thickness in the Aeras was enough to make me prefer the BHSE.

And yes, I remember when you said I'd get it. I knew as well after CAF that I would most likely get it. I just had to do my due diligence - or delay the inevitable - and I was able to use my second demo to confirm that it wasn't just first-listen euphoria and anticipation that drew me to the X9000's sound. I had considered a third demo to test synergies and whatnot just to be completely sure I liked the sound before I spent the money, but my wife said, "I'm sure you'll find it fun, but I don't think a third demo would change your mind". And she was right!

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #2,845 of 3,016
Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 9.43.42 PM.png

FWIW, this was my end result between the Aeras and BHSE (pulled from my own impressions thread). Did an entire comprehensive review of the two. As I mentioned then, I get why anyone would choose one over the other based on preference and/or the headphones in question. For me they are on an equal playing field.. both very, very good. But citing this specifically here because I think preferences are extremely important and it highlights it. And I get what both of you are saying in terms of air and why you feel the way you do. Amazing and interesting hobby. :)

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #2,846 of 3,016
And I get what both of you are saying in terms of air and why you feel the way you do. Amazing and interesting hobby. :)
I understand your preference as well; I wasn't trying to convert you. Both are excellent amps and the only differences would be in synergy to preference. My comment was really that I liked the term that gammi used and thought it was better than the terms I used. Looking back, you also used that term, but it must have slipped my mind. Similarly, I thought you provided a good term to describe the oddity I noticed in the X9000's soundstage presentation (lack of cohesiveness).

Feb 7, 2024 at 11:14 PM Post #2,847 of 3,016
I understand your preference as well; I wasn't trying to convert you. Both are excellent amps and the only differences would be in synergy to preference. My comment was really that I liked the term that gammi used and thought it was better than the terms I used. Looking back, you also used that term, but it must have slipped my mind. Similarly, I thought you provided a good term to describe the oddity I noticed in the X9000's soundstage presentation (lack of cohesiveness).

No need to explain whatsoever lol. My post wasn't a response to yours or gammi's specifically at all, and everything you both shared relevant. Just was sharing additional information. :)

The things you both shared just reminded me of the review I did. My findings actually matched mostly what you're both saying from your perspectives :)

Feb 7, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #2,848 of 3,016
Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 9.43.42 PM.png

FWIW, this was my end result between the Aeras and BHSE (pulled from my own impressions thread). Did an entire comprehensive review of the two. As I mentioned then, I get why anyone would choose one over the other based on preference and/or the headphones in question. For me they are on an equal playing field.. both very, very good. But citing this specifically here because I think preferences are extremely important and it highlights it. And I get what both of you are saying in terms of air and why you feel the way you do. Amazing and interesting hobby. :)

Yeah, I think it comes down to whether the person is trying to "neutralize" estats or really lean into their strengths/character. Personally I have my Expanse when I want neutral so when I put on my X9000 I want to lean into that airy estat sound as much as possible. Give me that sparkly holographic air! One thing that's cool about the X9000 is I feel I can push it in that direction of extreme airiness but it still feels real. When I watch live music accompanied by the actual video of them singing it live, the X9000 still feels like I'm there, it's not so extremely holographic that it's artificial, it's just right imo.

Feb 7, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #2,849 of 3,016
Yeah, I think it comes down to whether the person is trying to "neutralize" estats or really lean into their strengths/character. Personally I have my Expanse when I want neutral so when I put on my X9000 I want to lean into that airy estat sound as much as possible. Give me that sparkly holographic air! One thing that's cool about the X9000 is I feel I can push it in that direction of extreme airiness but it still feels real. When I watch live music accompanied by the actual video of them singing it live, the X9000 still feels like I'm there, it's not so extremely holographic that it's artificial, it's just right imo.

100% get this.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #2,850 of 3,016
Was wondering if any X9000 owner EQ his unit, and if so, with what settings?

I find I have good results on my 007A and 009 when applying convolution filters from AutoEQ. If only we had those for X9000....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back