Stax SR-X9000
Jan 22, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #2,821 of 3,018
I think the transformer boxes work excellently and people really should spend some time trying out different combos with them. The STAX crowd is restricting themselves to 5 or so main estat amps when there's an entire world of excellent "standard" amps out there. That's sad! Listening to To Zanarkand on my 007 Mk1 via my Holo Bliss with a (lightly modified) SRD-7 adapter as I type this and it's beautiful. Flying Lotus Tiny Tortures was on shuffle earlier tonight and even that track with its constantly pumping deep bass background came through the adapter box just fine, very impactful. They really sing on my 48wpc 300B+805 tube amp! Want to hook them up to my 100wpc receiver? Yeah, that works perfectly too with a simple banana to XLR cable. So many options.

I implore STAX fans to try more amps! I'm having a lot of fun over here getting to try any amp I want with my STAX :)
And it's only going to get better, a box of three gigantic (like 5lbs each) Lundahl transformers just recently arrived at my house and I'll be building my own adapter box...

Same happened to me at the last CanJam NYC. Nothing really caught my ear since I'm already pretty spoiled but sitting down at the BHSE + X9000 at the headamp table I immediately knew it was something different I didn't have. And at the top, different is more important than "better" imo. All these $3k, $4k, $5k TOTL headphones are excellent but the X9000 did something different that made me perk up. Two months later I found myself still thinking about them and pulled the trigger on a pair.

Having said how much I like them, for those that hunger for an X9000 but it's out of budget, just get a CA-1a or 007 MK1 honestly. Value per $ on those shames the X9000. Yes I like the X9000 most but honestly those other two get you most of the way there.

EDIT:
Just switched over to the X9000 + SRD-7 adapter + R800i (the 300B+805 tube amp with 48wpc) and man, I think anyone who finds the X9000 dull hasn't heard it properly because what I'm hearing now is so dynamic and impactful. 48W of high slew rate (very important) current wakes these the F up!
Thank you for sharing this information, this helped a lot :wink:

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #2,822 of 3,018
This is the thread for it. If you search this thread, you'll find plenty of discussion on which amplifiers work well with the X9000. Some people say the Mjolnir Audio Novem pairs really well, others say a Megatron. Personally, I've heard the X9000 on 4 different amps (BHSE, Eksonic Aeras, Grand Cayman prototype, and LTA Z10e), and it sounded great on all of them.
Very interesting. Was the X9000 clearly better with the Grand Cayman than with the BHSE?

Jan 22, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #2,823 of 3,018
Very interesting. Was the X9000 clearly better with the Grand Cayman than with the BHSE?
I only listened briefly on the GC (that spot was in high demand at CAF), and with songs that I'm not that familiar with (it was a setup with a pre-loaded set of tracks). It was hard to determine if it was better or not, though the X9000 seemed to have very good and impactful bass with the GC. I can't honestly say that the GC was better without a private demo side-by-side with the BHSE.

The only two amps I was able to directly compare the X9000 on were the BHSE and the Aeras, which were placed next to each other at the table so I could quickly switch between them. I liked the BHSE a bit better, as it sounded a bit more open and with just slightly larger soundstage. Not a big deal, the X9K sounded great on the Aeras too, but it seemed a bit less open in the direct comparison. Maybe a bit warmer on the Aeras too, but not dramatically so. For me, I index heavily on the sense of openness in the sound, so I preferred the BHSE. For those who want a warmer, "thicker" presentation, the Aeras would likely be preferable.

The LTA Z10e was in a different section of the show that I needed to walk 5 minutes to reach, so a direct comparison is out of the question. The X9K still sounded great, and it was clearly preferable to the DCA Corina on that amp. On a second, longer demo a few weeks later, I was able to do a rematch of the Corina and X9K on the BHSE and I still liked the X9K more, though the Corina put up a better showing on that amp. Since the Z10e can also drive standard headphones, the X9K also bested the Empyrean 2 in a chain-equivalent comparison with snapper/punchier bass and smoother yet clearer treble. The X9000 doesn't seem to require top-tier amplification to sound its best in my experience.

Jan 22, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #2,824 of 3,018
I only listened briefly on the GC (that spot was in high demand at CAF), and with songs that I'm not that familiar with (it was a setup with a pre-loaded set of tracks). It was hard to determine if it was better or not, though the X9000 seemed to have very good and impactful bass with the GC. I can't honestly say that the GC was better without a private demo side-by-side with the BHSE.

The only two amps I was able to directly compare the X9000 on were the BHSE and the Aeras, which were placed next to each other at the table so I could quickly switch between them. I liked the BHSE a bit better, as it sounded a bit more open and with just slightly larger soundstage. Not a big deal, the X9K sounded great on the Aeras too, but it seemed a bit less open in the direct comparison. Maybe a bit warmer on the Aeras too, but not dramatically so. For me, I index heavily on the sense of openness in the sound, so I preferred the BHSE. For those who want a warmer, "thicker" presentation, the Aeras would likely be preferable.

The LTA Z10e was in a different section of the show that I needed to walk 5 minutes to reach, so a direct comparison is out of the question. The X9K still sounded great, and it was clearly preferable to the DCA Corina on that amp. On a second, longer demo a few weeks later, I was able to do a rematch of the Corina and X9K on the BHSE and I still liked the X9K more, though the Corina put up a better showing on that amp. Since the Z10e can also drive standard headphones, the X9K also bested the Empyrean 2 in a chain-equivalent comparison with snapper/punchier bass and smoother yet clearer treble. The X9000 doesn't seem to require top-tier amplification to sound its best in my experience.
Many thanks Solar.

Jan 22, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #2,825 of 3,018

Interesting you found it less open/thicker on the Aeras (which is supposed to have a similar character to T2) and I also found it to be less open/thicker (compared to Novem and my Lundahl adapted monoblocks) on the T2 I tried.

Jan 22, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #2,826 of 3,018

From my brief experience, even not having the BHSE to directly compare, I felt it was clearly a bit better with the x9000, although not by some really large margin (this goes for the T2 as well, you're paying a premium for the last squeeze at this level).. but I say that having owned the BHSE for a long time with a lot of stats and now having the T2, which is also a clear improvement. Mainly the improvement in timbre and tone, while having all of the resolving and spacing qualities the BHSE has. I would need more time with the amp to be much more specific than that, but it immediately struck me as on the same playing level as the T2. I also felt the same way trying my SGL Sr. out of the Cayman (and I heard it on two different days). And although I say it's a clear improvement, again we're not talking about major, earth shattering differences at all. For most stats you could get either a BHSE or Aeras and be totally happy as well.

This is spot on, on their differences imo. The BHSE is a bit more open and the Aeras is a bit warmer, and to me, also with a bit stronger bass response. I would be one of the people that would go with the Aeras because of the warmth and the 009 already being really open. And with something like 007, I'd probably go the BHSE route. Both really good amps with different flavors.

Interesting you found it less open/thicker on the Aeras (which is supposed to have a similar character to T2) and I also found it to be less open/thicker (compared to Novem and my Lundahl adapted monoblocks) on the T2 I tried.

I can't speak for the Novem, but the Aeras does have very similar character, but the (eksonic) T2 is more open than it, along with a bit better bass extension and subbass (not by a whole lot). Both are really open and spacious. I don't think I'd give the nod to either over the other as they're really good in that regard. The Grand Cayman was spacious as well and less clear on whether it was more open than the BHSE for the same reason, all 3 are really good. The timbre on the T2 definitely is weightier on the Aeras and T2 for sure than say the BHSE, and it is maybe a smidge warmer than the BHSE (but definitely not as warm as the Aeras), so I do understand if someone finds it a thicker tone or even too thick a tone. Again though, I haven't heard the Novem at all so I can't speak on comparisons on it, but have heard it pairs nicely with the x9000.

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #2,827 of 3,018
From my brief experience, even not having the BHSE to directly compare, I felt it was clearly a bit better with the x9000, although not by some really large margin (this goes for the T2 as well, you're paying a premium for the last squeeze at this level).. but I say that having owned the BHSE for a long time with a lot of stats and now having the T2, which is also a clear improvement. Mainly the improvement in timbre and tone, while having all of the resolving and spacing qualities the BHSE has. I would need more time with the amp to be much more specific than that, but it immediately struck me as on the same playing level as the T2. I also felt the same way trying my SGL Sr. out of the Cayman (and I heard it on two different days). And although I say it's a clear improvement, again we're not talking about major, earth shattering differences at all. For most stats you could get either a BHSE or Aeras and be totally happy as well.

This is spot on, on their differences imo. The BHSE is a bit more open and the Aeras is a bit warmer, and to me, also with a bit stronger bass response. I would be one of the people that would go with the Aeras because of the warmth and the 009 already being really open. And with something like 007, I'd probably go the BHSE route. Both really good amps with different flavors.

I can't speak for the Novem, but the Aeras does have very similar character, but the (eksonic) T2 is more open than it, along with a bit better bass extension and subbass (not by a whole lot). Both are really open and spacious. I don't think I'd give the nod to either over the other as they're really good in that regard. The Grand Cayman was spacious as well and less clear on whether it was more open than the BHSE for the same reason, all 3 are really good. The timbre on the T2 definitely is weightier on the Aeras and T2 for sure than say the BHSE, and it is maybe a smidge warmer than the BHSE (but definitely not as warm as the Aeras), so I do understand if someone finds it a thicker tone or even too thick a tone. Again though, I haven't heard the Novem at all so I can't speak on comparisons on it, but have heard it pairs nicely with the x9000.
what will be the price of the grand cayman? Sorry if I missed it?

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #2,830 of 3,018
Justin would be well advised to disclose, at last, the price of the GC. Or possible buyers will get tired of waiting...
Justin would be well advised to disclose, at last, the price of the GC. Or possible buyers will get tired of waiting...
If you are from Europe, then, as in my case, you have to pay sales tax of 20% when importing devices. There are also customs duties, but they are only 2.5%. This means that a device costs e.g. the BHSE $6,995.00 when it arrives to me about €8,500. It is more or less the same with all of them, as the prices are equal.

The Stax T8000 cost me in Europe with a warranty €6,500, I would get it for €6,000. The T8000 I heard, compared it to an old used Stax, not the money worth, maybe some 2,000€ but the difference is not so huge. Yes, the stage was a little bigger, but so flat. It sounded less stressful, but on top level it is let's say 25% more musicality then an old STAX SRM MK2. The conditions were the same for both. This brings me to my conclusion, the components from the T8000 are very cheap. E.g. poti is about 20€. Circuit vise good but cheap parts. Upgrading no option as the amp is to expensive.

Another option would be to have an amplifier built here in Europe for less then all of these amplifiers. The more I think about it, because yes community wise I couldn't do anything wrong with the BHSE or the LTA Z10e, but for let's say 5,000-6,000€ I could let someone build an amp, there are enough circuit board schematics online for electrostat amplifiers .

Is there someone here (maybe from europe) on head-fi who did something like that?

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #2,831 of 3,018
If you are from Europe, then, as in my case, you have to pay sales tax of 20% when importing devices. There are also customs duties, but they are only 2.5%. This means that a device costs e.g. the BHSE $6,995.00 when it arrives to me about €8,500. It is more or less the same with all of them, as the prices are equal.

The Stax T8000 cost me in Europe with a warranty €6,500, I would get it for €6,000. The T8000 I heard, compared it to an old used Stax, not the money worth, maybe some 2,000€ but the difference is not so huge. Yes, the stage was a little bigger, but so flat. It sounded less stressful, but on top level it is let's say 25% more musicality then an old STAX SRM MK2. The conditions were the same for both. This brings me to my conclusion, the components from the T8000 are very cheap. E.g. poti is about 20€. Circuit vise good but cheap parts. Upgrading no option as the amp is to expensive.

Another option would be to have an amplifier built here in Europe for less then all of these amplifiers. The more I think about it, because yes community wise I couldn't do anything wrong with the BHSE or the LTA Z10e, but for let's say 5,000-6,000€ I could let someone build an amp, there are enough circuit board schematics online for electrostat amplifiers .

Is there someone here (maybe from europe) on head-fi who did something like that?
I could use some advice :)

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #2,832 of 3,018
Jan 29, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #2,833 of 3,018
Without outing one specifically here... I'm seeing a lot of people in this thread that have not heard the amps they're talking about.
I owned a x9000 for close to a year and owned/heard these amps with it:
Z10e
Stax srm-25x , 313, t8000
Headamp BHSE, Headamp Aristaeus
Mjolnir Carbon, Mjolnir KGSSHV and Mjolnir Novem
DIY T2

I have also separately owned the KGST (but not at the time of the x9000) and currently own a Megatron (but no longer have a x9000).
The z10e, 25x, 313, Aristaeus were too weak to power the amp to 100% but otherwise my experience is that the x9000 will mostly sound the same on most amps, unlike the Stax sr-007. That said, for me, it sounded best on the tube or hybrid tube designs.

My recommendation would be BHSE or if you can tolerate a long wait and cost the Megatron.
I have not heard the Eksonic Aeras, but from an engineering perspective and based on the BHSE comparison posted here - that would also make for a good fit.
Thank you Chefguru for sharing your opinion. Can you explain little bit more what you mean with ... Is it that the X9000 need so much (amp)power that you hear the difference, or that the X9000 starts to shine?
were too weak to power the amp to 100% but otherwise my experience is that the x9000 will mostly sound the same on most amps

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #2,834 of 3,018
Thank you Chefguru for sharing your opinion. Can you explain little bit more what you mean with ... Is it that the X9000 need so much (amp)power that you hear the difference, or that the X9000 starts to shine?
The lower power amps like the srm-252, srm-313 and Aristaeus had issues with just simple gain/ output to make the x9000 work. These amps are more suitable for the lambda line.

However, unlike the sr-007, the x9000 doesn't need some extremely powerful amplifier to drive it. Instead, I found that for my preferences, the topology was more important to get a suitable sound. My general consensus was that tubes helped deal with the sterileness the x9000 sometimes exhibits.

That said - I ultimately tried a lot of systems with the x9000 because I could not find a fit for me with it. I prefer the sr007 & Sr-omega and may be steering people the wrong way because of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back