Stax SR-X9000
Oct 27, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #2,656 of 3,060
Well you'll need an SRD-7 (one with a pro output) first but really the Lambdas are so easy to drive I think you could get away with a lot of amps with it. I haven't tried it with my Jotunheim 2 yet so currently the lowest power amp I've tried with my Lambda Pro is the $3k Holo Bliss which is likely overkill.

TLDR anything with a few watts and a low noise floor is probably fine for the Lambdas.
Hell, don't even need a low noise floor because the transformer box eliminates that...
Yeah I’m just looking for something to tide me over till next year when I’ll be grabbing the BHSE + x9000. Don’t know anything about the SRD-7, looks like that could be run off of one of my other amps though? I do have a Wa7 and A90D. I was looking at the D50 or 500T

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #2,657 of 3,060
Yeah I’m just looking for something to tide me over till next year when I’ll be grabbing the BHSE + x9000. Don’t know anything about the SRD-7, looks like that could be run off of one of my other amps though? I do have a Wa7 and A90D
Yeah, if you plan to run your L700 off of an amp with XLR output (like the two you listed) you'll need a transformer box like the SRD-7. Or you could buy the BHSE now and use that with the L700 until you get the X9000

Oct 27, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #2,658 of 3,060
Yeah, if you plan to run your L700 off of an amp with XLR output (like the two you listed) you'll need a transformer box like the SRD-7. Or you could buy the BHSE now and use that with the L700 until you get the X9000
I could but I’m doing a cross country move next year and would prefer just to buy it after I move. Might be better to just wait then till next year when I can get the grail.

Oct 27, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #2,659 of 3,060
I recently had the opportunity to spend 42 minutes with a Stax SR-X9000 and SRM-T8000 brought to the Toronto Audiofest by Headfoneshop.

20231021_160732.jpg

20231021_161030.jpg

Indeed beautiful and huge in person. I believe the outer diameter is comparable to the Susvara and Shangri-La Jr., likewise the Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000 which I shortly heard at the show and can only describe as having sounded properly neutral and hence agreeable as suggested by its measured frequency response.

20231021_160837.jpg

Pleasingly large earpad apertures for someone coming from the HiFiMan Arya Stealth and Meze Elite Tungsten. For context, my documented audio journey starts in https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mez...eadphone-official-thread.959445/post-17509345 (post #4,541) and the chain of posts its links to, post #4,665 of that thread covering my approach to EQ, then post #5,152 showing my latest EQ results as aided by in-ear microphones (includes comparison to the Sennheiser HE-1), my finally combining my outdoor in-ear microphone HRTF measurements with the Reaper DAW and SPARTA's Binauraliser NF, AmbiRoomSim, and AmbiBIN plug-ins, the latter two finally presenting a nigh convincing head-tracked imaging of an orchestra positioned 14 meters away.

Given this, my main reason for interest in the X9000 other than its looks was the desire for an ultra-low distortion (confirmed by ASR's measurements of the 009S) electrostatic headphone with exquisitely sharp and clean transients (which I've found is one thing you can't really EQ), and a frequency response (which you can find in post #1,346 of this thread) that is easy to EQ to diffuse field. Per post #1,346, it indeed looks quite neutral, perhaps with a boosted midrange, then impressively no major treble nulls until around 1.6 kHz which could be beneficial for allowing binaural head-tracking to EQ in the natural treble nulls that move depending on the direction of the sound source. If someone could listen to a treble and top octave sine sweep through their X9000 and confirm whether they can hear any sharp/deep dips between 6 kHz and 15 kHz, that would be great. Otherwise, the shallow high-Q jaggedness of that treble gives me some concerns regarding the driver quality or its control of resonances. Otherwise, the hype did have me working on first saving up for a Mjolnir Audio Carbon CC as a high-power, low-distortion, solid-state driver, after my seeing measurements showing that the Topping EHA5 doesn't cut it.

Comfort:

Finally, unto my subjective impressions, the first thing is that despite my hopes of pleasant earpad spaciousness, the comfort just somehow didn't cut it for me. I was apparently the first person there to complain about a concentration of pressure on the upper and lower parts of the pads, there not being enough pressure around my temples and at the back of the pads. Positioning the pads higher didn't help much and approached the unacceptable case of my lower ear lobes being touched. The HiFiMan Serenity pads on the other hand fit my head perfectly, the Meze Elite despite its flat profile still being very comfortable and managing a full seal with great sub-bass extension, its main flaw being the pads' flexibility having the cups moving around a lot more (else the weight and smaller contact area moving the skin around my ears more) when I rotate my head toward the extremes.

I was really hoping the X9000 pads would fit snugly and be more stable for use in endgame binaural head-tracking, but with this inability to get a good seal, it feels like a deal-breaker. I don't know if third-party pads are or will ever be offered (so long as the bass extension is good, I'm going to EQ it anyways). Maybe I could do a mod that inserts a spacer to shape the pads to better conform at the front and back. At least there was no driver crinkle. I had inside the Headfoneshop shortly tried the Audeze CRBN which was unfortunately driven by the Stax SRM-D10 which could barely get it loud enough (I likewise couldn't properly assess the sharpness of single-sample transients), this being surprisingly the first time I had heard a quite noticeably reduced soundstage or shrunken imaging; the pads though soft were too claustrophobic or unwieldy for me, my finding that pad size and feel can have subjective effects on image size; the driver crinkle was also horrid. I did shortly during the audio show just try on the 009S whose pads were quite more comfortable, having just a bit of driver crinkle, but its measured frequency response doesn't meet my standards. Otherwise, this and my relative satisfaction with the Meze Elite Tungsten may be the deal-breaker saving me $20k CAD.

Sound:

Expectedly from the frequency response, it simply sounded "agreeable" as I had found all other headphones at the audio show that were some form of neutral with sufficient ear gain. There were some points of noise or conversation nearby, but I'd say it wasn't too noisy or busy during my session. At best, the tonal presentation sounded comparable to my final Meze Elite EQ shown in post #4,665, dynamics and bigness (e.g. with Boulez' recording of Mahler 5) likewise being comparable. My Meze Elite EQ was already having excellent recordings like Gardiner's Beethoven 4 sound exquisitely rich and detailed, whereby at best, the stock X9000 sounded similar. Transients in Rodrigo y Gabriela's "Oblivion" sounded clean and sharp. Track after track, it simply sounded "good" or "comparable", my already having a quite excellent sound at home, though I know that in isolation, the main limitation of the Meze Elite is that single-sample transients like in http://pcfarina.eng.unipr.it/Acustica-samples/Dirac.wav don't sound as freakishly sharp and incisive as through the HiFiMan Arya Stealth with its sub-micron diaphragm (though you have to crank them up pretty loud for these differences to be noticeable, the T8000 having not been able to get this transient loud enough for me to tell whether the X9000's single-sample transients did sound sharper or comparably sharp; the same went for the Sennheiser HE-1). Yosi Horikawa simply sounded good, nothing special. Likewise, the panning of the distant sound sources in didn't blow my mind like the Meze Elite did when I first auditioned it (that effect wore off on all subsequent listens). Regardless, there was always the constant nagging of this discomfort with the pads.

Conclusion:

So it's a bummer that comfort has seemed like the big deal-breaker in my selecting the X9000 as an end-game EQing and binaural head-tracking platform, but at least that may save me a lot of money to spend on other hobbies. Meanwhile, the HE1000se which I did try at the audio show with third-party sheepskin memory foam pads was exquisitely comfortable, its simply sounding "good" by my standards, its otherwise having no magical properties for classical music at least when driven with a Chord Mojo 2 isolated with fancy AudioWise RF Stop gear. If the HE1000se or whatever HiFiMan comes up with next manages to have competitive distortion performance to the Meze Elite, then it may be worth it for the faster transients.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #2,661 of 3,060
Look what parts finally arrived from Sweden after many months of waiting :slight_smile:
photo_2023-10-28_16-53-51.jpg

Oct 28, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #2,662 of 3,060
Look what parts finally arrived from Sweden after many months of waiting :slight_smile:
photo_2023-10-28_16-53-51.jpg
Can't wait to hear your impressions compared to SRD-7 😁

Oct 28, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #2,663 of 3,060
Yeah, I'm very curious myself how much (if at all) the SRD-7 is holding back the X9000.

Also worth noting I lightly modified my SRD-7. I replaced the thermistors with resistors and moved the 27Ohm resistor as outlined here:
https://www.linearz.com/stuff/transforming-the-stax-srd-7/

This recovers some lost output level and reduces distortion vs the stock SRD-7

Oct 29, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #2,664 of 3,060
Well, this is as far as I got because one of the leads ripped right off one of the capacitors. On hold for another week or two until I get a replacement shipped.

Attachments

• PXL_20231029_233152080.jpg
    PXL_20231029_233152080.jpg
    926.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231029_233125803.jpg
    PXL_20231029_233125803.jpg
    964.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231029_233240395.jpg
    PXL_20231029_233240395.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 0
Oct 30, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #2,665 of 3,060
Momma didn't raise no quitter so I made it work. Using my SRD-7 for bias lol. It's a Frankenstein but it works. Been listening on my Lambda Pro for 15 minutes now and it hasn't burst into flames yet.
PXL_20231030_052857607.jpg

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #2,666 of 3,060
On a more serious note regarding my previous post, could anyone with an X9000 possibly listen through (turn the volume down first) from 3,000 kHz and up and report on whether you hear any significant dips in volume (called a "null" or "notch", caused by wave cancellations in the ear). Per post #1,346, I would expect a dip around 4 kHz, though I am curious as to just how deep it is. Otherwise, I am curious as to whether the frequency response past 6 kHz sounds mostly smooth without any deep dips or high peaks prior to 17 kHz.

Oct 31, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #2,667 of 3,060
On a more serious note regarding my previous post, could anyone with an X9000 possibly listen through (turn the volume down first) from 3,000 kHz and up and report on whether you hear any significant dips in volume (called a "null" or "notch", caused by wave cancellations in the ear). Per post #1,346, I would expect a dip around 4 kHz, though I am curious as to just how deep it is. Otherwise, I am curious as to whether the frequency response past 6 kHz sounds mostly smooth without any deep dips or high peaks prior to 17 kHz.

Here's what I heard, a trough around 4700 and a peak around 5800.
It started getting quieter around 4300, bottoming at 4700 and then kept increasing in volume from 4700 to 5800 with about 5200 or so being "flat" again (where it was in the 3000s). From 5800-6000 or so it peaked then decreased again until getting back to baseline/flat around 6300

TLDR
4300 start of trough - 4700 bottom of trough - 5200 back to flat
5200 start of peak - 5800 peak - 6300 back to flat

Above that there was a peak around 9000 and a trough around 11500
I wouldn't call the trough at 4700 a null, it was just a bit quieter. The trough at 11500 was a null though, it got very quiet.

Edit: Just went and looked at the FR for the X9000 (I didn't before testing) and it does indeed trough then overshoot with a peak after, not just trough. Seems my impressions are shifted a bit earlier than that FR curve though which shows the trough at 5500 and the peak at 6500

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #2,668 of 3,060
Well, I got some replacement capacitors (Mundorf 0.33uF 630v) and completed my transformer box, I'm listening now off of it. Bias voltage measures 545v so I'll need to go back and tweak some resistors. Variance can get quite high when you're working in the mega-ohm range. Must say, the 007 Mk1 is sounding quite nice right now with the lower bias though.

Anyway, is there any precaution I have to take with the capactors on the output when unplugging/plugging headphones? They hold charge quite a while. I did hear a little crackle when plugging in my Lambda Pro.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #2,669 of 3,060
Could someone please measure the depth of the SR-X9000's pads at the back, front, top, and bottom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back