Stax SR-X9000
Nov 13, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #1,801 of 3,065
For the last several months I have anxiously awaited a Megatron to pair with my x9000s. So far I have listened with a Carbon and a 323x. I tolerated x9000s with 323s...I liked x9000s with Carbon...Megatron arrived two days ago. I plan to post very brief impressions on Head-fi and the other site.

My builder is Soren Brix, and I would not feel comfortable sharing any of my listening experience without first giving credit to Soren. I'm new to the hobby and so I cannot really make comparisons, but my experience with Soren made the amp-building experience personal, intellectually stimulating, and (of course) fun. I recommend him as a builder and as a person without hesitation.

I will keep the 323x as a fallback option in case my Plan A isn't working for whatever reason. It's fine but mushy. It has connectors that the Carbon and Megatron don't. That's nice.

I might keep the Carbon--I don't need it, but certainly I will keep it for the near future. It's as lucid and precise as I can imagine an amp being. I think it's a good fit for any number of headphones due to its clarity. I like it with the x9000s and I'm considering getting a 007 mki, specifically to pair it with the Carbon. It's idiot-proof and much of my classical and acoustic music is having a field day.

I love the Megatron. It rocks with pretty much everything I listen to. I'm not a millionaire--money matters, and I'm nearly out of mine. Of course the Megatron is more expensive than a Carbon. It's worth the extra expense. I won't try to pretend to be technical: the Megatron is FUN. I officially have a bias towards tubes. I doubt I'll ever be able to afford a T2, or any of that Shangri-la business. That's fine. I think I can live without a top-of-the-top-of-the-line because I have a Megatron, and it makes the x9000s a joy to listen to without fatigue.

A few comments about some claims I've read about Megatron:

The Megatron does not run too hot. It's warm and that's it. It is not a hazard or a danger or a space heater, unless you like juggling hot tubes while covered in petrol.

The Megatron does not need an hour to warm up. It takes one minute. I do not understand where this claim originated from.

The Megatron does not need a priceless collection of tubes to roll. Mine are stock Mullards and a pair of Philips E80CCs. A couple hundred euros and you're done for the next 10,000 hours or so. The sound is fresh, full, vibrant, intimate, and, again, fun. I might venture into tube-rolling someday, but not anytime soon.

I might have more to say about the Megatron and x9000s, but that's enough for now. Thank you Soren!
I'll try to post a couple later, but also I know there are photos on head-case and frankly those photos will look more professional than mine.

Nov 13, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #1,804 of 3,065
I like it with the x9000s and I'm considering getting a 007 mki, specifically to pair it with the Carbon.

Have both headphones with the Carbon and can confirm the synergy. The 007mk1 isn’t half as technically proficient as the X9k but it is pure joy on the Carbon, highly recommended.

Of course the Megatron is more expensive

May we ask how much it cost? I’ve considered a Kerry T2 for the future but not sure I want to go there.

Is your Megatron tube rectified?

My builder is Soren Brix

How long did the build take?

Nov 13, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #1,805 of 3,065
Have both headphones with the Carbon and can confirm the synergy. The 007mk1 isn’t half as technically proficient as the X9k but it is pure joy on the Carbon, highly recommended.
It's on my shortlist:)

May we ask how much it cost? I’ve considered a Kerry T2 for the future but not sure I want to go there.
I considered Kerry also. I was super close to pulling the trigger. I could have bought the T2, but I was scared off by the cost--if I were a more seasoned listener, maybe the cost would not be so scary.

I paid 4800 euros for my Megatron, but prices are going up left and right, so I guess I'm 'lucky' to only pay that much. Soren only uses stock components unless asked otherwise; he has his reasons, and those reasons aren't as simple as keeping costs down. I feel that Soren delivers a high-quality product at a reasonable price (for now).

Is your Megatron tube rectified?
Not to my knowledge, but I never asked. Your best bet is to ask Soren directly. In fact, he just emailed me to clarify that the Mullards are "re-issues", my mistake.

How long did the build take?
Mine took around five months. However, this was due to a number of variables that I played a part in. Soren estimated 5-6 weeks, I think. But then life happened--I was out of the country for awhile, this created delays, and we paused the build a few times because of my own questions. Soren is a bit of a perfectionist, and that slows things down in any industry, for better or worse.

A simple response is that good things come to those who wait.

Nov 13, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #1,806 of 3,065
It's on my shortlist:)

I considered Kerry also. I was super close to pulling the trigger. I could have bought the T2, but I was scared off by the cost--if I were a more seasoned listener, maybe the cost would not be so scary.

I paid 4800 euros for my Megatron, but prices are going up left and right, so I guess I'm 'lucky' to only pay that much. Soren only uses stock components unless asked otherwise; he has his reasons, and those reasons aren't as simple as keeping costs down. I feel that Soren delivers a high-quality product at a reasonable price (for now).

Not to my knowledge, but I never asked. Your best bet is to ask Soren directly. In fact, he just emailed me to clarify that the Mullards are "re-issues", my mistake.

Mine took around five months. However, this was due to a number of variables that I played a part in. Soren estimated 5-6 weeks, I think. But then life happened--I was out of the country for awhile, this created delays, and we paused the build a few times because of my own questions. Soren is a bit of a perfectionist, and that slows things down in any industry, for better or worse.

A simple response is that good things come to those who wait.

Thanks for sharing!

That’s not too bad on the build time honestly.

Really excited to hear your impressions of the Megatron vs Carbon when formed 🙏

Nov 13, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #1,807 of 3,065
Thanks for sharing!

That’s not too bad on the build time honestly.

Really excited to hear your impressions of the Megatron vs Carbon when formed 🙏
I hope to avoid posting impressions until I have either 007mki or Sigma 404s. The behinds of my ears are too wet to be useful :) So maybe in 2023?

Looking back at my last post, it sounds like an advertisement for Megatron or Soren. That's not my intention--the Megatron isn't perfect, and neither is Soren. But Hifi is a jungle full of predators and suckers. I'm just piping up about the oasis/meadow/whatever metaphor... about the clarity I found.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #1,808 of 3,065
I hope to avoid posting impressions until I have either 007mki or Sigma 404s. The behinds of my ears are too wet to be useful :) So maybe in 2023?

Looking back at my last post, it sounds like an advertisement for Megatron or Soren. That's not my intention--the Megatron isn't perfect, and neither is Soren. But Hifi is a jungle full of predators and suckers. I'm just piping up about the oasis/meadow/whatever metaphor... about the clarity I found.

In this hobby, all opinions are valuable. It’s all about subjective listening and personal tastes anyway and, aside from ideally demo-ing gear on your own (which isn’t always possible), community members’ experiences are a great source of info. So pls do feel free share freely and frequently. I personally would love to know how you find your X9K with the Megatron compared to the Carbon (as I drive it with the Carbon).

Sharing is part of our collective obsession :)

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #1,809 of 3,065

I wouldn't think about it like this at all. If you had an excellent experience with a custom builder it's totally cool to share, and it's also an intricate process, so you do come out of it with a lot of satisfaction and admiration for the builder if it was a good experience. Before I bought the T2, I never thought I'd commission a custom build because I was apprehensive about it being a daunting task, not knowing as much technically as some others, and worrying about how the experience would go. Kerry put all of that to ease after my first contact with him and it was a tremendous experience. The community should know who these reputable builders are so I'm glad you're sharing.

Looking forward to your more in depth impressions. :)

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #1,810 of 3,065

Initial impression for the prototype:

I was basically just fixed in front of Grand Canyon today before the start of the show till almost the end of the show. I really appreciate it with Jazz, classical, movie music, and folk music. I literally need to walk out the venue to get some air after demoing to process what I heard. It is rather rare for this happening to me.

I think it is perfect match to Empire Mytek and the gap between BHSE and Grand Cayman when mated with Empire is hugeeeeeeee, even though I have huge respect to my BHSE. The difference is day and night as from 2D to 3D, everything is open up to another whole new dimension!

I can’t wait to hear the final product in that this unit totally exceeded my expectations even on its prototype stage.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #1,812 of 3,065
On a slightly unrelated note, is there a reason why there aren't more quality solid-state electrostat amps? So far Carbon and SRM-700S are the only two I'm aware of. Is it because transistors are still bad at handling high voltages (I really don't know how true this statement is, I just remember reading about it from somewhere a while back)?

(On another unrelated note, the legendary DIY T2 thread started by Mjolnir Audio's Birgir / spritzer is still a fun read. I wish I had the skills to assemble my own T2 :smile:)

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #1,813 of 3,065
On a slightly unrelated note, is there a reason why there aren't more quality solid-state electrostat amps? So far Carbon and SRM-700S are the only two I'm aware of. Is it because transistors are still bad at handling high voltages (I really don't know how true this statement is, I just remember reading about it from somewhere a while back)?

(On another unrelated note, the legendary DIY T2 thread started by Mjolnir Audio's Birgir / spritzer is still a fun read. I wish I had the skills to assemble my own T2 :smile:)
There are a few (kinda..)
Kgss
Kgsshv
Kgsshv carbon
Kgsshv carbon cc

Then a slew of Stax offerings which are all considered equal or worse to the standard kgss.

Estats can natively run off tubes , so makes sense more designs use them.

Nov 15, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #1,815 of 3,065
66616C96-176C-4508-A103-EA31A9AF9431.jpeg

Attachments

• 5A135254-151B-43BB-A163-F1D9A0BF0C19.jpeg
    5A135254-151B-43BB-A163-F1D9A0BF0C19.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back