Stax SR-X9000
Nov 3, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #301 of 3,008
Good read Zolkis. The 1% roughness was probably the wrong phase on PS audio power cord to 700S at least it's now absent to my ears, this shows that any subtle change on chain with X9K is audible. I'm sure those who get hands on X9K, it definitely plays better than you expect. A BHSE or Carbon could elevate the X9K further to next level ?

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #302 of 3,008
Side thought for bass-freaks: I have the hunch (actually, I am pretty sure that) if you change the pads to ones with smaller internal volume, for instance the 009 pads or similar, you might well get the bass slam and impact you are craving for, at the price of soundstage size and slightly different tonality. But you might want to wait for the CRBN impressions as well.

FWIW the bass impact of the Libratum V3 is subjectively better, cleaner, deeper, more enjoyable than my modded (cups, damper, pads) TH900, which is a beast. The TH900 puts out more bass energy and subwoofer-like physicality, but actually for some physiological reason (e-stat speed?) the V3 bass feels fuller and with more natural(ly soft) slam. I have the feeling the X9K is totally capable of doing the same. YMMV.

A BHSE or Carbon could elevate the X9K further to next level ?

I don't think it would be very far on the next level (well, YMMV), but I am pretty sure the BHSE would give a natural musical correctness reference, and a Carbon build could max it on dynamic range. I don't know about what a GG, Megatron, T2 or a Frank Cooter amp would do, but the X9K will probably show the full capabilities of these energizers better than anything with Stax Pro bias so far.

Nov 3, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #303 of 3,008
I'm listening the X9K with my amplifier, as shown in photo. I can tell you that the difference with the 700S is tangible.
As I said in a previous post, better chain = better results. The amplifier is essential to drive the X9K at the top.

IMG_5070.jpg

Nov 3, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #304 of 3,008
I'm listening the X9K with my amplifier, as shown in photo. I can tell you that the difference with the 700S is tangible.
As I said in a previous post, better chain = better results. The amplifier is essential to drive the X9K at the top.

IMG_5070.jpg
What amp is this?:)

Nov 4, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #306 of 3,008
I have the last batch replaced STAX original diaphragm SR-OMEGA in 2017.

Compare to X9000, the bass of X9k is better. Others overall SR-OMEGA is better in my headphone system.

Soundstage: OMEGA(10) > X9000(6.5) > Shangri-La Jr(5) > 009s(3)

W7tYEq4.jpg
Interesting to see how both STAX and Sony cannot match their products launched thirty years ago.

Nov 4, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #308 of 3,008
Interesting to see how both STAX and Sony cannot match their products launched thirty years ago.
I’m not so sure it’s this clear cut.
The omega had serious stability issues that the 007 corrected. Many people preferred the mk1 over the sr-omega.

The sr009 provided another degree forward in detail and clarity, and is also often preferred over the sr007 which is a bit too dark/bassy

Full circle.There was someone recently selling their sr-omega stating that they prefer the sr009s.

Personally, having owned sr-omega, sr-007 both mk1 and 007a, and now the sr009s… feel that each model has had a clearer progress than perceived on the board. I recall the omega being very unfocused. To me the 009s is the best technical headphone off the Stax lineup that I’ve heard. That said, I find the 009s too bright/require EQ to fully enjoy them.

So far the only estat I’ve heard that might have had the “ideal” tuning was the CRBN but at the expense of a smaller soundstage and less 3D texture to the imagining.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #309 of 3,008
I have the last batch replaced STAX original diaphragm SR-OMEGA in 2017.

Compare to X9000, the bass of X9k is better. Others overall SR-OMEGA is better in my headphone system.

Soundstage: OMEGA(10) > X9000(6.5) > Shangri-La Jr(5) > 009s(3)

W7tYEq4.jpg
Such beauties... you're lucky! I can't imagine how the SR soundstage is, if the X9K gets only 6.5. Certainly different from the one I've heard.
Does the X9000 go on sale now? :)

Nov 4, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #310 of 3,008
So far the only estat I’ve heard that might have had the “ideal” tuning was the CRBN but at the expense of a smaller soundstage and less 3D texture to the imagining.

Wow, thanks for the CRBN comparison, you're my chef/guru, nomen est omen! :)
More details? I guess I need to go looking for your review in the CRBN thread.

Nov 4, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #311 of 3,008
I’m not so sure it’s this clear cut.
The omega had serious stability issues that the 007 corrected. Many people preferred the mk1 over the sr-omega.

The sr009 provided another degree forward in detail and clarity, and is also often preferred over the sr007 which is a bit too dark/bassy

Full circle.There was someone recently selling their sr-omega stating that they prefer the sr009s.

Personally, having owned sr-omega, sr-007 both mk1 and 007a, and now the sr009s… feel that each model has had a clearer progress than perceived on the board. I recall the omega being very unfocused. To me the 009s is the best technical headphone off the Stax lineup that I’ve heard. That said, I find the 009s too bright/require EQ to fully enjoy them.

Good to be back to reality, certainly there has been a clear progress from each TOTL Stax phone to other ending up to 009 to a hyper detailed transparent phone, some sort of pinnacle
of technical approach, unfortunately they forgot to make it musically inviting.

Zolkis and i A-B compared Omega to 007mk1 and the conclusion was that the Omega as a whole was better. We have with X9K a progress again, this time Stax added musicality to it's repertoire. Listening hours after hours now my brain get's adjusted to X9K.

This time i feel it's brilliant combination of 007/ 009. X9K presents the fullness of 007 and the clarity of 009, the X9K is similarly warmish than 007 with excellent bass response (it may go very deep even head shaking with Carbon).

Add clarity and detail amount like 009 so there you are. Transparency analysis is more difficult when comparing X9K to 009.
How do you perceive transparency when the tone is warm .

The X9K shows that warm transparency is possible, it has same amount of details and much fuller transparent soundscape than 009.

When i listen to X9K i feel relaxed, it's a perfect musical tone to listen hours without fatique.

Today i hooked Abbas Nos dac as source, this is absolutely the pinnacle of musicality

I think Stax made this time 100% right not so with other models in past 10 years.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #312 of 3,008
Wow, thanks for the CRBN comparison, you're my chef/guru, nomen est omen! :)
More details? I guess I need to go looking for your review in the CRBN thread.

I heard the CRBN on two occasions, one being canjam. I think it’s a lovely headphone and while not a clear winner over the 009s (a different but equal scenario), a headphone I believe I could get lost in the “music” of and forget about the technical elements. The fit and weight of the unit is also A+, which can add to the “sudden headphone not existing” magic.

If the x9000 hadn’t released I would have already ordered it… but also kept the 009s around.

Nov 4, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #313 of 3,008
I heard the CRBN on two occasions, one being canjam. I think it’s a lovely headphone and while not a clear winner over the 009s (a different but equal scenario), a headphone I believe I could get lost in the “music” of and forget about the technical elements. The fit and weight of the unit is also A+, which can add to the “sudden headphone not existing” magic.

If the x9000 hadn’t released I would have already ordered it… but also kept the 009s around.
I couldn't agree more. Got completely lost in the music, not analyzing anything. Usually systems like that do come at the expense of detail, frequency extremes and so forth, but it was all there. I think it's a game changer.

Should I get lucky and ever get both, I'd hope for the Stax to have a bit more of that analytical side with a bit more emphasis on detail, maybe for some electronica or ambient music. That would make it a deadly combo, covering all music styles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back