Stax SR-X9000
Oct 30, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #272 of 3,008
IMG_5072.jpg

Oct 30, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #273 of 3,008
Just some thoughts: this not a review:)

Mesh drivers sound extremely natural and they have certain unmatched sweetness.The difference between XK9 to 009 is remarkable.

When fresh out of the box let the mesh driver charge at least 2 hours before serious listening .

The 009 sounds thin against, all details on 009 sound somehow forced and artificial and you perceive those details as extra "necessary" details, it's supposed to be a flagship so it has to present them.

XK9 present same amount details naturally and as a natural part of the musical work, so the details are not something which turns your attention .

Probably you can fix this detail "problem" on 009 partly with some meaty tube amplifier but it works like a plaster and on long term you begin rolling tubes still leaving you unsatisfied.

This is not the case with XK9 and Omega they are both meaty sounding mesh drivers, it's on their nature to be so and you can drive both with excellent results on SS amplifiers.

Air: XK9 present "real" air , it's there between the two musician you can almost feel it, not so with 009, the air on 009 is somehow "faded" and leaves you only with two separate musician in soundfield, the air how you perceive it in real life is not there with 009.It's not a favorable situation when your concious brain begins to add imaginary air wich is missing.

Balance: The XK9 appears to be harmoniously balanced relaxed with lot of microdynamics wich belong in presented soundfield naturally where 009 is also balanced but microdynamics appear not as integrated.

Bass: XK9 has improved bass against Omega and is well articulated.Bass players,the string snapping, you can follow it easily on XK9 and it never looses control .The bass is much meatier on more controlled against 009 and this again appear in a very easy and natural way.

Grandness: grandness is the ground where legendary phones come to daylight .To keep calm and handling even the most difficult challenges in sovereign way that's the feeling wich i get from XK9 .
Just to clarify 1-10:. On the volume knob, is that about 11:00? 0 would 6:00 while 5 would be 12:00.
yes

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #278 of 3,008
I think Trance _Gott was misunderstood here .
His posting #274 was quite positive .
The insult from maskofkpax #278 should
be deleted by the moderators ,
this statement is naughty and stupid !
Yes, was surprised by the reaction. As I understood it, @Trance_Gott was simply saying that if the X9K has meatier bass compared to the 009, then it is headphone for him. :)

Oct 31, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #280 of 3,008
Now that we have cleared up that misunderstanding: back to the X9K. I have never heard the original Omega but I have heard great things about it. I am now more interested in the X9K. Of course, the backlog in delivery is quite crazy I hear. Well, if the initial reports/impressions are spot on, we are all in for a treat. :)

Oct 31, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #282 of 3,008
I can image when this thread continues one of the main subjects is going to be soundstage imaging.With the right setting and recording i got an strong illusion sitting infront
of huge speakers.This is something wich i have not experienced before with headphones.

The sound is rich and full from bottom to highs wich increases the illusion .Every instrument drum brass ,trumpets, flute are extraordinary real, it's as real as it gets.
This makes comparison to 009 useless, this is a new experience and the word earspeakers really come true.

I had similar memory and reaction from 90's when i got to hear Orpheus first time with Jazz at the Pawnshop, but this XK9 experience exceeds it in many ways.
I had the Orpheus many years but got it never play on this level.

Oct 31, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #283 of 3,008
I try to describe how i perceive the sound coming from XK9.I have Charles Lloyd Sangam on hands.On that recording drums play the main role with audience.

This is what i get.

The drums appear straight in front of me and it's like a three dimensional sound construction of drumsound wich floats in air

The complete silence and absence of drivers and just hearing three dimensional drums is spooky.

source:Luxman D10X, Western Electric cables from Abbas Audio and "just" SRM-700S and XK9 with good ac cables

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #285 of 3,008
The sound signature of XK9 is very very close to original Omega but Stax engineers fixed the midrange liquidness/transparency and also bass wich is very articulate.Soundstage is close and a hint better to Omega wich is wide.Detailed smooth highs like Omega maybe little bit better with XK9.The XK9 is a improved Omega,
so the legendary sound is now available.I get some Head-fier soon at my house and let's see what the consensus is then we can go details

Thanks so much for these impressions @thinker!

What do you mean "fixed the midrange liquidness/transparency"? Is the X9000 more clear than the Omega (I always found 009S having more clarity)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back