Stax SR-X9000
Oct 18, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #211 of 3,014
Some first impression of SR-X9000

DSC00720_1.jpg

Mine is the first batch in Japan. Serial number is #6. I have it delivered to Australia immediately after launch and receive it today.

As my system is incomplete at the moment. There are quite a few good cables coming (Odin 2, Stealth Dream etc). This is only a brief introduction of my first impression of X9000.

My setting is:

Source: Jeff Rowland Aeris
Power conditioner: ISOTEK TITAN + NOVA GII
Amp: BHSE (Mullard XF3, Philips Metal Base EL34 Disk Getter), SRM-T8000 (Stock Tube)
Reference Headphones: Sennheiser HE90, SR-009S

The build quality of SR-009S is worse than SR-009 which made me a bit worried about the X9000. But when I open the box, the SR-X9000 just look gorgeous, its build quality is to the state-of-the-art standard. The grey and brown color combination looks very good. Here are some details of the X9000.

DSC00673_1.jpgDSC00683_1.jpgDSC00697_1.jpgDSC00704_1.jpgDSC00710_1.jpg

Please make sure you read manual when attach the cable to X9000. There are design to stop you attach in a wrong way, but you could still attach the wrong side. I attached the left cable to right unit at the first try and subsequently correct it after I read the manual. There might be some potential harm to the headphone if you attach the headphone cable to the opposite side.

RELAXED

The main impression of X9000 is RELAXED. Yes, no matter what kind of music you play, it give you a very relaxed sound signature. It is not forwarding sound at all.
Even you play most intense Orchestra works like Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6 by Teodor Currentzis.

You will feel the brass and string instruments hoarse like you are getting fxxked by the Orchestra in climax part when you listen to HE90, but you will never feel that with X9000 even you switch to very high volume. Yes, you can switch to a incredible high volume without getting irritable. However, it is strongly recommended you to control the volume as you wouldn't feel any uncomfortable until you feel pain in your ears. It might cause permanent harm to your ear.

It depends on your taste if this kind of relaxed feeling is good or not. For me, I have HE90 for Orchestra works so it is not a issue at all. But if you buy X9000 mainly for Orchestra, you might need to adjust your source and accessories to fit its style. To me, when playing Orchestra works, the HE90 is like BPO, or even BSO, the X9000 is like NHK. I am not saying NHK is not good, I just prefer BPO as it has some inside spark which can ignite my spirit.

SENCE OF TABLEAU

The second impression of X9000 is sense of tableau.
You sometimes feels that 009/009S is pouring music into your ears like water when there are lot of details, but you will never feel that with X9000. Everything is always well arranged in a good manner, in a relaxed way. It is really a pleasure to enjoy music with it.

Unlike 009S, the X9000 focus on the whole picture rather than details. Each part of music combines together and you even feel the sound is tangible. To me, it lack of the ethereal and diffused sound signature of HE90. It feels more 'real'.

After you listen to X9000, you will find it express music in a more superior and comprehensive way than other STAX headphones. (except SR-Omega, I've never listened to it before)

SOUNDSTAGE

The X9000 offer incredible soundstage compared with SR-009S and any other STAX earspeakers I have.
To me it is even better than HE90 to some extent. It feels like the the sound is emission and diffused in a very neutral way. You will easily forget you are wearing a headphone. (And yes it is very comfortable to wear it)

To compare, when you listen to piano live performance recordings, X9000 is like you seating at the audience seat, HE90 is like you seating on the stage and 009S is like you head is in the grand piano. I am not saying SR-009S is bad. Actually, there are some person prefer to listen to Piano in closest distance to feel the metallic touch of the sound. It's upon your taste.

SOME OTHER FEATURES

Compared with SR-009S and HE90, X9000 is a more neutral sound headphone, it is neither bright nor warmth, but it is still with very significant 'STAX' style.

X9000 is not a bass monster like SR-007. But their bass performance have sort of similarity. Compared with SR-009s, the bass of X9000 is not the rock-firm style. It is a more bouncy, soft yet surrounding style bass. It is more like HE90's bass performance. I personally like it very much. But if you really like lot of very tight bass then the headphone probably is not for you.

I have tried X9000 with all sorts of music, including Orchestra, piano solo, violin solo, chamber music, Japanese POP, Animation music, Chinese Pop, Acapella, electronic music. It fits almost all sorts of music in my opinion.

I prefer to use HE90 to replay Orchestra and Violin works as it is more energetic, but it is after all personal taste. To me, X9000 is too relaxed for some music, it just lack of the spark that ignite my heart. But when I am tired and I would like to listen to music and take a rest, I will definitely prefer X9000.

AMPS OPTION

I compare my headphones on BHSE and I've also tried SRM-T8000. SRM-T8000 can drive X9000 pretty well just as SR-009S. But overall it is even more softer than BHSE. To me I think BHSE is a better option.
Thank you for the well written impression. Please tell us more the treble and imaging.

Oct 18, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #213 of 3,014
really like the review and the tube style watch on the background. thanks

I listen to a lot of genres but my concern is manly regarding orchestra, particularly strings session. In that regard your review compared a lot the HE90 and X9, but not so much with the other stax; judging by the soundstage description I feel the x9 is the better stax for classical in general, would you agree with that?

For reference, Ive heard only the 009S and have the L700ii and 007A and would agree 100% about the 007 (never heard the mk I though) and definitely prefer the L700 for large symphonic music (more precise, transparent, more focused bass - even if less present, it is not anemic at all)

Oct 18, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #214 of 3,014
I've seen a lot of worries regarding the quantity or maybe deepness of bass with this new flagship from Stax on the past dozens of pages between this thread the the stax thread. Please note I respect other's wishes and I see nothing wrong with desiring more or better bass (or any other feature) on any new headphone. Im also not defending the x9 against the susvara. Ive never even heard any planar, and tbh Susvara is on my watchlist for the future anyway.

That said, I don't agree in shaming a company for not making a bass heavy headphone - if that was actually the intention. One, because there are so many alternatives for that - even among eletrostats from other brands there are more bassy alternatives based on other users reviews here and elsewhere. I believe stax has never been about that, maybe even with the Omega, though I can certainly be wrong as I only started reading about Stax on the 90s (and admittedly only heard and bought one 4 months ago). A new flagship, specially a Stax one, is supposed to be more on the neutral side (of course this is just my opinion), and judging from the few early reviews like this one above, Stax did a good job actually.

Surely there is space for all tastes at all levels of equipment. But when I go to a concert, at least in the few halls Ive had the chance to go, even bassier instruments dont sound so deep or loud, even when I was sitting quite close to the drums for instance. Being able to hear a more neutral and very transparent presentation from a eletrostatic hp has been such a great experience this year that I felt the need to "defend" stax for not going any heavier on bass on the x9k. Again, I can agree it looks from these few reviews the x9 may (again?) not be the overall best hp out there across most genres and simply not suited for some, I 100% dont think everyone looking for a totl should listen to mostly classical. But for my 2 cents, Id actually be worried if I was reading the x9 is the new bass king, as I already noted I prefer the L700 to the 007 when listening to that particular genre

People can surely discuss the space for the company introducing new options of products with different sound signatures. I kinda hope it does now it has the support of a bigger company, that Stax doesnt stop here or focus just on flagships. as I just said above I have the 007A, regarded as one of the bassier stax phones, and even then I think it is rather light compared to some dynamic hp Ive heard (let alone the planars I didnt)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #215 of 3,014
really like the review and the tube style watch on the background. thanks

I listen to a lot of genres but my concern is manly regarding orchestra, particularly strings session. In that regard your review compared a lot the HE90 and X9, but not so much with the other stax; judging by the soundstage description I feel the x9 is the better stax for classical in general, would you agree with that?

For reference, Ive heard only the 009S and have the L700ii and 007A and would agree 100% about the 007 (never heard the mk I though) and definitely prefer the L700 for large symphonic music (more precise, transparent, more focused bass - even if less present, it is not anemic at all)

Before I receive X9000, I spent around 70% time listening to HE90, 20% time SR-009S and 10% other. That's why I mainly compare X9000 and HE90.

In short, X9000 is still a typical STAX Headphone, the ideal of sound tuning is not too different with STAX flagships (009, 009S). There is a strong STAX gene inherit in X9000. It just improved a lot on soundstage performance, focus less on details and more on whole picture, which makes me feel that it is a superior substitute to SR-009 and SR-009S. I already decide to put SR-009S and T8000 for sale.

I spent around 80% times listening to Piano recital and Orchestra works, I would say X9000 definitely perform better than 009 or 009S for classical music.

I have not listened to L700 but I know it is a advanced Lambda series, I assume they are pretty transparent and less bass. The 007 with original earpad is just too 'dirty' for replaying Orchestra works, too much bass all over the place and not transparent enough. But it performs pretty well for some vocal recordings.

Oct 18, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #216 of 3,014
Some first impression of SR-X9000

DSC00720_1.jpg

Mine is the first batch in Japan. Serial number is #6. I have it delivered to Australia immediately after launch and receive it today.

As my system is incomplete at the moment. There are quite a few good cables coming (Odin 2, Stealth Dream etc). This is only a brief introduction of my first impression of X9000.

My setting is:

Source: Jeff Rowland Aeris
Power conditioner: ISOTEK TITAN + NOVA GII
Amp: BHSE (Mullard XF3, Philips Metal Base EL34 Disk Getter), SRM-T8000 (Stock Tube)
Reference Headphones: Sennheiser HE90, SR-009S

The build quality of SR-009S is worse than SR-009 which made me a bit worried about the X9000. But when I open the box, the SR-X9000 just look gorgeous, its build quality is to the state-of-the-art standard. The grey and brown color combination looks very good. Here are some details of the X9000.

DSC00673_1.jpgDSC00683_1.jpgDSC00697_1.jpgDSC00704_1.jpgDSC00710_1.jpg

Please make sure you read manual when attach the cable to X9000. There are design to stop you attach in a wrong way, but you could still attach the wrong side. I attached the left cable to right unit at the first try and subsequently correct it after I read the manual. There might be some potential harm to the headphone if you attach the headphone cable to the opposite side.

RELAXED

The main impression of X9000 is RELAXED. Yes, no matter what kind of music you play, it give you a very relaxed sound signature. It is not forwarding sound at all.
Even you play most intense Orchestra works like Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6 by Teodor Currentzis.

You will feel the brass and string instruments hoarse like you are getting fxxked by the Orchestra in climax part when you listen to HE90, but you will never feel that with X9000 even you switch to very high volume. Yes, you can switch to a incredible high volume without getting irritable. However, it is strongly recommended you to control the volume as you wouldn't feel any uncomfortable until you feel pain in your ears. It might cause permanent harm to your ear.

It depends on your taste if this kind of relaxed feeling is good or not. For me, I have HE90 for Orchestra works so it is not a issue at all. But if you buy X9000 mainly for Orchestra, you might need to adjust your source and accessories to fit its style. To me, when playing Orchestra works, the HE90 is like BPO, or even BSO, the X9000 is like NHK. I am not saying NHK is not good, I just prefer BPO as it has some inside spark which can ignite my spirit.

SENCE OF TABLEAU

The second impression of X9000 is sense of tableau.
You sometimes feels that 009/009S is pouring music into your ears like water when there are lot of details, but you will never feel that with X9000. Everything is always well arranged in a good manner, in a relaxed way. It is really a pleasure to enjoy music with it.

Unlike 009S, the X9000 focus on the whole picture rather than details. Each part of music combines together and you even feel the sound is tangible. To me, it lack of the ethereal and diffused sound signature of HE90. It feels more 'real'.

After you listen to X9000, you will find it express music in a more superior and comprehensive way than other STAX headphones. (except SR-Omega, I've never listened to it before)

SOUNDSTAGE

The X9000 offer incredible soundstage compared with SR-009S and any other STAX earspeakers I have.
To me it is even better than HE90 to some extent. It feels like the the sound is emission and diffused in a very neutral way. You will easily forget you are wearing a headphone. (And yes it is very comfortable to wear it)

To compare, when you listen to piano live performance recordings, X9000 is like you seating at the audience seat, HE90 is like you seating on the stage and 009S is like you head is in the grand piano. I am not saying SR-009S is bad. Actually, there are some person prefer to listen to Piano in closest distance to feel the metallic touch of the sound. It's upon your taste.

SOME OTHER FEATURES

Compared with SR-009S and HE90, X9000 is a more neutral sound headphone, it is neither bright nor warmth, but it is still with very significant 'STAX' style.

X9000 is not a bass monster like SR-007. But their bass performance have sort of similarity. Compared with SR-009s, the bass of X9000 is not the rock-firm style. It is a more bouncy, soft yet surrounding style bass. It is more like HE90's bass performance. I personally like it very much. But if you really like lot of very tight bass then the headphone probably is not for you.

I have tried X9000 with all sorts of music, including Orchestra, piano solo, violin solo, chamber music, Japanese POP, Animation music, Chinese Pop, Acapella, electronic music. It fits almost all sorts of music in my opinion.

I prefer to use HE90 to replay Orchestra and Violin works as it is more energetic, but it is after all personal taste. To me, X9000 is too relaxed for some music, it just lack of the spark that ignite my heart. But when I am tired and I would like to listen to music and take a rest, I will definitely prefer X9000.

AMPS OPTION

I compare my headphones on BHSE and I've also tried SRM-T8000. SRM-T8000 can drive X9000 pretty well just as SR-009S. But overall it is even more softer than BHSE. To me I think BHSE is a better option.

Thanks for the very helpful first review.
1. I've asked this a few times - for people that tried the unit but were unable to confirm -
a) does the headband have more fit settings or the same amount
b) is the clamp the same or tighter/looser than the sr009

2. Is the soundstage wider and taller ? E.G. is it like the "bubble" of space is bigger or is it that the depth Left to Right seems to extend further

3. Do you plan on ordering the CRBN? I felt during my quick impression at CanJam it reminded me a lot of the He90 but with more low end. Would be interested to see where this fits against the X9000

4. Finally.... do you think that you will use the X9000 as your primary headphone?

Oct 18, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #217 of 3,014
I've seen a lot of worries regarding the quantity or maybe deepness of bass with this new flagship from Stax on the past dozens of pages between this thread the the stax thread. Please note I respect other's wishes and I see nothing wrong with desiring more or better bass (or any other feature) on any new headphone. Im also not defending the x9 against the susvara. Ive never even heard any planar, and tbh Susvara is on my watchlist for the future anyway.

That said, I don't agree in shaming a company for not making a bass heavy headphone - if that was actually the intention. One, because there are so many alternatives for that - even among eletrostats from other brands there are more bassy alternatives based on other users reviews here and elsewhere. I believe stax has never been about that, maybe even with the Omega, though I can certainly be wrong as I only started reading about Stax on the 90s (and admittedly only heard and bought one 4 months ago). A new flagship, specially a Stax one, is supposed to be more on the neutral side (of course this is just my opinion), and judging from the few early reviews like this one above, Stax did a good job actually.

Surely there is space for all tastes at all levels of equipment. But when I go to a concert, at least in the few halls Ive had the chance to go, even bassier instruments dont sound so deep or loud, even when I was sitting quite close to the drums for instance. Being able to hear a more neutral and very transparent presentation from a eletrostatic hp has been such a great experience this year that I felt the need to "defend" stax for not going any heavier on bass on the x9k. Again, I can agree it looks from these few reviews the x9 may (again?) not be the overall best hp out there across most genres and simply not suited for some, I 100% dont think everyone looking for a totl should listen to mostly classical. But for my 2 cents, Id actually be worried if I was reading the x9 is the new bass king, as I already noted I prefer the L700 to the 007 when listening to that particular genre

People can surely discuss the space for the company introducing new options of products with different sound signatures. I kinda hope it does now it has the support of a bigger company, that Stax doesnt stop here or focus just on flagships. as I just said above I have the 007A, regarded as one of the bassier stax phones, and even then I think it is rather light compared to some dynamic hp Ive heard (let alone the planars I didnt)

Actually, it is more about personal taste.

Take hotels as example. Listen to X9000 is like living in a top level Onsen Ryokan like Kagaya, it is absolutely stunning experience. But you actually enjoying the inner peace and slow pace of life. You certainly can't expect something luxury in Regis Hotel or lifestyle in W Hotel in a Onsen hotel lol.

Oct 18, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #218 of 3,014
Thanks for the very helpful first review.
1. I've asked this a few times - for people that tried the unit but were unable to confirm -
a) does the headband have more fit settings or the same amount
b) is the clamp the same or tighter/looser than the sr009

2. Is the soundstage wider and taller ? E.G. is it like the "bubble" of space is bigger or is it that the depth Left to Right seems to extend further

3. Do you plan on ordering the CRBN? I felt during my quick impression at CanJam it reminded me a lot of the He90 but with more low end. Would be interested to see where this fits against the X9000

4. Finally.... do you think that you will use the X9000 as your primary headphone?

1a. The headband itself is fixed, but you can adjust two small blocks to make it fit your head. It is similar with design of SR009/009S. I think my head is relatively large and it fits just well. It should fit most of people.

1634579732729.png

1b. The arc is made by metal and 009S arc is made by plastic. It is more durable. The clamp is slightly looser than SR-009S. I feel very comfortable when wearing it. Actually, more comfortable than 009S as it is looser and slightly less heavier.

2. Yes, the soundstage is definitely wider and taller. It is like a bubble with a blur barrier (sound can actually emission out of the barrier I mean). The space is bigger and wider than SR-009S and left to right extend much further.

3. I probably not gonna to order a CRBN. There are some people saying that it sounds like HE90, I will get one in future but I would rather wait until a pair pop up at the 2nd hand market. I am a big fan of STAX and one of a few headphones I purchase new are 009 and X9000.

4. I will sell my 009S straight away and I will use HE90 for instrumental music and X9000 for other kinds of music. Maybe 70%~30% ratio.

Oct 18, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #219 of 3,014
Thank you for the well written impression. Please tell us more the treble and imaging.

The overall treble performance is similar to 009S. The upper mid/treble is slightly smoother and well controlled than 009S, while still have good dynamics. It is slighly darker than 009.

I am not quite sure about the definition of imaging. But X9000 do provide a more vivid picture than 009S. Sounds are well arranged and played in a composed and steady way even there are lot of details.

Oct 19, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #221 of 3,014
@rzy6cn when speaking of the sound being relaxed, would you say it's more relaxed/less forward than the 007 as well?

Oct 19, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #224 of 3,014
At this point I'm waiting for some one to make a proper comparison/shootout between the SR-X9000, CRBN, LCD-5 and the susvara.
I guess we're starting to see the picture:
* CRBN has a smaller soundstage than the sr009, but a silky presentation with unusual low-end for an estat
* LCD-5 is slower than the CRBN and has an even smaller soundstage, but thicker tangible sound with better dynamics
* SR9000x is a wide-open soundstage, with a passive sound signature that doesn't have electric highs or deep lows - the most ear "speaker" like of all e-stats.

In comparison the Sr009/s is hotter than the three, but may still have a place as a forward-treble monster

Oct 19, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #225 of 3,014
I guess we're starting to see the picture:
* CRBN has a smaller soundstage than the sr009, but a silky presentation with unusual low-end for an estat
* LCD-5 is slower than the CRBN and has an even smaller soundstage, but thicker tangible sound with better dynamics
* SR9000x is a wide-open soundstage, with a passive sound signature that doesn't have electric highs or deep lows - the most ear "speaker" like of all e-stats.

In comparison the Sr009/s is hotter than the three, but may still have a place as a forward-treble monster
It's both nice and at the same time difficult to have so many choices now...unless you can have them all. I have a 007mk1, 009 and ES1A, and figure the CRBN would be the one to get to add more diversity to the estat mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back