Stax SR-X9000
Oct 11, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #151 of 3,014
Bass of 009 is anemic I wished that's not the case with X9000.

Measurements tell otherwise. The 009 has better bass extension than the 007 Mk1, Mk2 and latest ones.
However, I do agree it sounds kind of thin, especially lately when I am used with more realistic sound. It's a physiological effect. Also, the amp plays quite big part with the 009.
For instance I have 2 e-stats that sounds more physical with better bass impact than the 009, but measurements tell they have similar bass extension as the 009 (ok, just slightly better in the low 20s) - the main difference is in mids, highs and the overall spectrogram. The 007 Mk2 is rolled off in bass but has higher bass impact in the low 40s, hence better suited for jazz for instance, even though it's not really a rocker.
So I'd argue that small quantitative difference in bass/mids rendition might make a bigger physiological effect in the case of the X9K, so don't write it off yet :). Besides, it seems to have quite good dynamic headroom, so you can safely use EQ with rock/metal, they are distorted from the source anyway :).

Anyone had the chance to compare the X9K with the CRBN?

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #152 of 3,014
Bass of 009 is anemic I wished that's not the case with X9000.
I also really wonder how it is compared to the 9S. I have the 009 also and from what I heard (with my own ears) the 9S has better bass. The issue with the 009 to EQ the bass up is that it just hits a safety ceiling for the film too fast for me, so I wonder how it compares to the 9S vs the 9. I would think it would be closer to the 9S already at least?

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #154 of 3,014
I got my SR-X9000 3 days ago.
Compared to SR-009, I like it very much.
・ Slightly light
・ The sound field is wide and I feel like I am in the center of the sound.
・ Detailed sound
I've heard SR-Omega only once before, but I think it's a bit similar.

Takoyaki congratulations,
I have a question about the fit/headband vs the 009
1) does the headband have more adjustment settings than the sr009? The sr009 is a little sloppy and always feels too lose/big for my head.
2) is the overall structure as flexible as the sr009? One criticism of the sr009 is how flimsy the entire arch is - and how over time it gets even looser

Oct 12, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #155 of 3,014
Hello all, the following is my brief experience with the STAX SR-X9000:

I don't often write thoughts or opinions of headphones therefore it is somewhat of a challenge for me to portray how I heard things but will do the best I can. I had the chance to listen to the SR-X9000 at E-Earphone Saturday and found them to be quite enjoyable with the few tracks of a coupe different genres I tried in a short period of time(approximately 25 minutes).

It was also a pleasure to speak with the STAX Sales Director Shimizu-san who assisted me with the audition.

The STAX driver unit used was the SRM-T8000 along with an ADI-2 FS DAC and my iPhone 12pm as source.

Overall I feel they are an improvement over the SR-009S, treble is a touch smoother without losing any of the speed and resolution of the 009/009S series. The bass and midrange presence is a bit more but the difference is not significant, overall I found the SR-X9000 to have a neutral sound signature still that will be true to its source.

The weight is very light which was the first thing I noticed when I first held it, they almost disappeared on my head. As Arnaud mentioned the headband durability may be of concern, for storage it would be best to avoid a stand that places constant pressure on the leather headband imo.

I brought my SR-007MkI along with me for comparison and the SR-X9000 sound signature leans more towards the 009S in tonality. The SR-007MkI is considerably warmer, soundstage is narrower, less precise and is less resolving though the warmer tonality makes it more of a complementary headphone to the SR-X9000.

The X9000 retains the speed and resolution of higher frequencies but it’s not forced when compared to the 009/009S which makes it more of an easier listening experience with music where treble may be peaky/harsh but it does this while maintaining a neutral sound signature.

The X9000 places you a bit further back in the soundstage but also is more layered and precise though if a singer is meant to be singing near your vicinity the X9000 will portray that. Because of the better layering and perception of depth its easier to tell where sounds of musical instruments and singers are placed along the stage giving it a better sense of the ambient space in the recording, providing more of a holographic feel which impressed me.

When listening to Yo-Yo Ma, the SR-X9000 felt a bit under powered with the SRM-T8000 and therefore it may be best paired with a Kevin Gilmore amp with the KGST being the minimum requirement if listening to classical though I assume most people purchasing the SR-X9000 will be pairing it with a top tier amplifier.

If I was in the market for an electrostatic headphone the SR-X9000 would be one that I would highly consider acquiring but I am on a hiatus when it comes to Hi-Fi purchases for now.

Tracks listened to:

Yo-Yo Ma – The Mission – Gabriel’s Oboe

Bob Moses – Desire

Gorgon City – Tell me its true

Armin van Buuren – Never say never

Kuba - Trustafari

Eagles - Hotel California (live)

Fleetwood Mac – Landslide & Gold Dust Woman

Oct 12, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #156 of 3,014
But when the bass amount is not clear a step up 009 it is not a headphone for rock and metal. Susvara has a lot more body in the lows then 009.
Because of the bass I prefer a lot my 007 bass port mod.
I did not hear the SGL with Carbon only DIY T2 but I'd bet you'd really enjoy the low-end (as well as everything else) of the SGL much more than any other stat and quite a bit more than Susvara.

Oct 12, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #157 of 3,014
I honestly have never heard of similar headphones.
The following headphones are a little similar.
・ SR-009 / 009S
・ HD800
・ SR-Omega
Would you say the difference of the X9000 to a, say SR-009 would realy be that substantial to call it "worth it"??

Oct 12, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #158 of 3,014
Takoyaki congratulations,
I have a question about the fit/headband vs the 009
1) does the headband have more adjustment settings than the sr009? The sr009 is a little sloppy and always feels too lose/big for my head.
2) is the overall structure as flexible as the sr009? One criticism of the sr009 is how flimsy the entire arch is - and how over time it gets even looser
1. Headband setting adjustment seems to be the same in 10 steps.
2. I don't think there is a big difference in the flexibility of the overall structure. However, while the 009 arch assembly is plastic, the X9000 arch assembly has been changed to a thin metal rod, so durability may be different.

Oct 12, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #159 of 3,014
Would you say the difference of the X9000 to a, say SR-009 would realy be that substantial to call it "worth it"??
009 is a good ear speaker.
The X9000 is an even better ear speaker, but since the sound field expression is different, it can be used properly depending on the sound source. So I'm not going to let go of 009.

Oct 12, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #161 of 3,014
Hello all, the following is my brief experience with the STAX SR-X9000:

I don't often write thoughts or opinions of headphones therefore it is somewhat of a challenge for me to portray how I heard things but will do the best I can. I had the chance to listen to the SR-X9000 at E-Earphone Saturday and found them to be quite enjoyable with the few tracks of a coupe different genres I tried in a short period of time(approximately 25 minutes).

It was also a pleasure to speak with the STAX Sales Director Shimizu-san who assisted me with the audition.

The STAX driver unit used was the SRM-T8000 along with an ADI-2 FS DAC and my iPhone 12pm as source.

Overall I feel they are an improvement over the SR-009S, treble is a touch smoother without losing any of the speed and resolution of the 009/009S series. The bass and midrange presence is a bit more but the difference is not significant, overall I found the SR-X9000 to have a neutral sound signature still that will be true to its source.

The weight is very light which was the first thing I noticed when I first held it, they almost disappeared on my head. As Arnaud mentioned the headband durability may be of concern, for storage it would be best to avoid a stand that places constant pressure on the leather headband imo.

I brought my SR-007MkI along with me for comparison and the SR-X9000 sound signature leans more towards the 009S in tonality. The SR-007MkI is considerably warmer, soundstage is narrower, less precise and is less resolving though the warmer tonality makes it more of a complementary headphone to the SR-X9000.

The X9000 retains the speed and resolution of higher frequencies but it’s not forced when compared to the 009/009S which makes it more of an easier listening experience with music where treble may be peaky/harsh but it does this while maintaining a neutral sound signature.

The X9000 places you a bit further back in the soundstage but also is more layered and precise though if a singer is meant to be singing near your vicinity the X9000 will portray that. Because of the better layering and perception of depth its easier to tell where sounds of musical instruments and singers are placed along the stage giving it a better sense of the ambient space in the recording, providing more of a holographic feel which impressed me.

When listening to Yo-Yo Ma, the SR-X9000 felt a bit under powered with the SRM-T8000 and therefore it may be best paired with a Kevin Gilmore amp with the KGST being the minimum requirement if listening to classical though I assume most people purchasing the SR-X9000 will be pairing it with a top tier amplifier.

If I was in the market for an electrostatic headphone the SR-X9000 would be one that I would highly consider acquiring but I am on a hiatus when it comes to Hi-Fi purchases for now.

Tracks listened to:

Yo-Yo Ma – The Mission – Gabriel’s Oboe

Bob Moses – Desire

Gorgon City – Tell me its true

Armin van Buuren – Never say never

Kuba - Trustafari

Eagles - Hotel California (live)

Fleetwood Mac – Landslide & Gold Dust Woman

Thanks for these impressions. For the most part, everything sounds about where any stax/009 fan could hope for it to be. The only thing I keep seeing that's a bit concerning is that it "places you further back in the presentation". I've seen that a couple times now.

Are we essentially saying that the midrange is recessed? Knowing Stax, I would assume that's not the case and that maybe I'm just misinterpreting?

Oct 12, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #164 of 3,014
They made the headphone to match the T8000.
That's an interesting idea/theory.

And not a particularly happy one. A forward-looking plan would have been to lean the SRX9000 towards a future planned new TOTL amp. This suggests they really don't have something in the pipeline to hit a higher plateau.

Doesn't seem like anybody has the capacity to build KGSSHVs, Blue Hawaii's and the like at anything like an industrial scale. They're artesian products.

We're looking at a widening gap between the production of new TOTL e-stat headphones and the TOTL amps/energizers needed to have the h/p's perform at their peak.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #165 of 3,014
That's an interesting idea/theory.

And not a particularly happy one. A forward-looking plan would have been to lean the SRX9000 towards a future planned new TOTL amp. This suggests they really don't something in the pipeline to hit a higher plateau.

Doesn't seem like anybody has the capacity to build KGSSHVs, Blue Hawaii's and the like at anything like an industrial scale. They're artesian products.

We're looking at a widening gap between the production of new TOTL e-stat headphones and the TOTL amps/energizers needed to have the h/p's perform at their peak.
It's a difficult position to fill. I know some CFA3 interest raised question/desire of stepping outside the DIY pocket and into a more commercial venture.
You must ask Justin where/why he doesn't release his Carbon outfit to complement the BHSE.

The market is there for the taking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back