Stax SR-X9000
Jul 16, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #1,441 of 3,014
Is it uncouth to declare that the x9000s are just really, really, really, really easy and fun to listen to, with a decent chain? I'm getting to the point where I want to say the x9000s is like the world's greatest PBnJ sandwich: nothing in it is dramatically the best, yet everything is consistently lovely.
*These are technical terms

Jul 16, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #1,442 of 3,014
Is it uncouth to declare that the x9000s are just really, really, really, really easy and fun to listen to, with a decent chain? I'm getting to the point where I want to say the x9000s is like the world's greatest PBnJ sandwich: nothing in it is dramatically the best, yet everything is consistently lovely.
Much how I feel about the Orpheus HE90 but find they do most everything the best I have heard. Bass isn't what the Abyss can do but still natural and extremely good and melds well with the music being played.

Jul 19, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #1,443 of 3,014
This is what I feel as well. Sounds very good from mid-range chain and can scale up to the sky - unless you cannot overcome electrostat sound.

Jul 22, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #1,444 of 3,014

I'm happy to hear that you got them and are really enjoying them. I thought you would. :)

Jul 22, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #1,445 of 3,014
I'm happy to hear that you got them and are really enjoying them. I thought you would. :)
Yup! They have a super-high floor, now about that ceiling...Still not sure whether I'm making the most of them with my now-nearly-vanished budget, but my builder Soren is wrapping up a Megatron soon, and he's tweaking/advising on a few other components in my setup.

With my Node/Qobuz as my source, I do have source anxiety. I have not come across anything that convinces me to shell out for a 'better' streamer.

I have a feeling that the rest of the year will be spent doing a LOT of home A/B testing...

Jul 22, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #1,446 of 3,014
The ceiling (so far) is X9000 + T2 + Linn NextGen Klimax Organik.

Jul 23, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #1,448 of 3,014
The ceiling (so far) is X9000 + T2 + Linn NextGen Klimax Organik.
I can't disagree with T2's abundant reputation. But I'll put my ignorance front and centre to ask: I'm assuming you're recommending the Linn at least in part for its streaming capabilities...so, what makes one streamer superior in SQ to another?

I can buy (metaphorically and literally) the idea of a dedicated streamer sounding better than a run-the-mill laptop, which was my alternative. Still, I kept the Node more for convenience than SQ. And I've demo'd streamers priced up to 5000 euros...neither my ears nor any salesperson's explanations about tech specs lend any credence to streamers being significantly different from each other.

I even asked my builder at one point to make a GR PSU for my Node (Soren did this for my RME ADI DAC, thanks Soren!), and he said I'd just be buying air.

Chesebert, you obviously have more experience than me. Help me understand: what's the Linn got that a Node don't got?

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #1,449 of 3,014
I can't disagree with T2's abundant reputation. But I'll put my ignorance front and centre to ask: I'm assuming you're recommending the Linn at least in part for its streaming capabilities...so, what makes one streamer superior in SQ to another?

I can buy (metaphorically and literally) the idea of a dedicated streamer sounding better than a run-the-mill laptop, which was my alternative. Still, I kept the Node more for convenience than SQ. And I've demo'd streamers priced up to 5000 euros...neither my ears nor any salesperson's explanations about tech specs lend any credence to streamers being significantly different from each other.

I even asked my builder at one point to make a GR PSU for my Node (Soren did this for my RME ADI DAC, thanks Soren!), and he said I'd just be buying air.

Chesebert, you obviously have more experience than me. Help me understand: what's the Linn got that a Node don't got?

The organik is the linn dac. That said, tbh, I find higher end digital to matter more of higher end gear than the adi2. Whether it's they put all their money into the conversion and none on the input (because they assume you will buy a streamer regardless) or because getting usb out of your chain basicaly always helps, I do personaly find that streamer tends to realy level up most dacs, but more importantly, I have personaly found dacs with good integrated streamers (meitner ma3, weiss 501, etc) tend to be a step up from what you can generaly git going separates for the same price (note this is used and there are obviously exceptions here)

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #1,450 of 3,014

Linn Next Generation Klimax Organik (god I hate their product names) is an all in one streamer, preamp and dac. It currently has IMO one of the best if not the best digital reproduction your money can buy in the market right now. I have had Linn streamers since 2010 (don’t have the latest one) and the free firmware and functionality upgrades and support over the years have been insanely good.

If you think Meitner MA3 is good (I love my Emm Labs don’t get me wrong), you will have your mind blown listening to Klimax Organik. There is a reason my Linn (Katalyst) is on speaker duties and my Emm Labs (dac2x and dedicated NS1 streamer) is not.

I would find a way to listen to one.

Edit: do not blind buy - you may like dCS sound profile better (I don’t personally)

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #1,451 of 3,014
Linn Next Generation Klimax Organik (god I hate their product names) is an all in one streamer, preamp and dac. It currently has IMO one of the best if not the best digital reproduction your money can buy in the market right now. I have had Linn streamers since 2010 (don’t have the latest one) and the free firmware and functionality upgrades and support over the years have been insanely good.

If you think Meitner MA3 is good (I love my Emm Labs don’t get me wrong), you will have your mind blown listening to Klimax Organik. There is a reason my Linn (Katalyst) is on speaker duties and my Emm Labs (dac2x and dedicated NS1 streamer) is not.

Edit: do not blind buy - you may like dCS sound profile better (I don’t personally)
Have you tried playback designs, which to my ears is one of the most analogue sounding dac whose Preamp is also stunning.

I ordered its new Mono Organik and I will try Emm Labs soon.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #1,452 of 3,014
Have you tried playback designs, which to my ears is one of the most analogue sounding dac whose Preamp is also stunning.
I really like Playback Designs. There are a lot of similarities between them and Emm Labs (not surprised given the history). Linn Klimax is more organic and analog.

There is no wrong answer among PBD, Linn, dCS, MSB and Emm Labs. You will for sure find the one that sounds the best to you.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #1,453 of 3,014

Meitner MA3 is only an affordable version for big brother of Emm Labs. I tried Metiner in my system which is clearly below dacs of Playback Designs, Mojo Mystique and even cheaper Rockna Wavedream Edition

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #1,454 of 3,014
Linn Next Generation Klimax Organik (god I hate their product names) is an all in one streamer, preamp and dac. It currently has IMO one of the best if not the best digital reproduction your money can buy in the market right now. I have had Linn streamers since 2010 (don’t have the latest one) and the free firmware and functionality upgrades and support over the years have been insanely good. If you think Meitner MA3 is good (I love my Emm Labs don’t get me wrong), you will have your mind blown listening to Klimax Organik. There is a reason my Linn (Katalyst) is on speaker duties and my Emm Labs (dac2x and dedicated NS1 streamer) is not. I would find a way to listen to one. Edit: do not blind buy - you may like dCS sound profile better (I don’t personally)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back