Stax SR-X9000
Jun 25, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #1,426 of 3,032
Ok so I have had a bit time to spend with the X9000 now. Please keep in mind these are impressions after about a day of listening and totally subject to further listening and changes of opinion going forward once I get to know them more.

Overall I'm very impressed. Based off of others impressions, I thought that in terms of overall character they might be a laid back warmer listen, but they aren't coming across as that, at all really. I don't really feel like they are an improved 007, or an improved 009(S.) They are doing their own thing. More treble than I was expecting, or maybe it's just a spike somewhere in the treble rather than an overall elevation of the highs. They are the "biggest" sounding stax I've heard but not as big as the Shangri-La Sr sounds. When I say "big" I mean in terms of the overall sound, not necessarily soundstage width etc. Its hard to explain, but to me there is a difference between soundstage, and how "big" the overall sonic picture is.

Soundstage width is wider than the SR007 and SR009. Imaging seems to be a very strong point for these. The space between instruments within the soundstage is very impressive, and there is real depth going on. Also they are most detailed stax I've heard, but they seem to lack the last 5% of micro detail and "delicate" sound the Shangri-La Sr have. I have not heard the original omega from Stax so can't comment there.

Build quality and materials feels awesome and they are super comfy also.

Glad you're enjoying them. I agree with everything here. They feel pretty different than both the 009 and 007, grabbing elements from both. Very early I felt like they were maybe a mashup of the two, but I don't think that's accurate either. Also, as far as the differences between the Shrangri-La Sr. and it, also spot on.

I know I've mentioned that they are laid back, but it's not to a huge degree. That was a questionable point for me before purchasing. They are quite a bit laid back compared to the 009, SGL Sr., etc., but not hugely in their own right. Still a very enjoyable presentation. This does vary considerably by amp and chain though.

Jun 25, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #1,427 of 3,032
I've really enjoyed my x9000s with a Soren Brix-built Carbon. His Megatron should arrive later this month. While I don't hear the infinite clarity I had hoped for, everything is "bigger" with the Carbon--in fact, "everything sounds bigger" is exactly how I described it to my wife. My wife thinks the "bigness" maybe even does a disservice to her preference for classical music listening, while I am enjoying more "big-sounding" music like rock and metal.

I also demo'd the x9000s and Carbon together with a Holo Spring and Holo May yesterday with a raspberry pi streamer...I was expecting a bigger (i.e. noticeable) uptick from my Node/RME ADI DAC, and that was not the case at all with the Spring, only slightly with the May. I know Holo May measures as the greatest DAC of all time...I was left wondering what the fuss was all about.
Did you make sure to run the May in NOS mode?
I was very happy with the upgrade from my RME ADI-2 FS dac to the MAY - especially after starting to use HQPLAYER upsamling to 1536KHz on my Innuos Zenith. To me that is as good as i have heard any digital setup. Only upgrade I would like to try is EC7 modulated DSD1024 but there is still no CPU capable of that - i am hoping the 13900 or Zen4 will be fast enough!

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #1,428 of 3,032
Did you make sure to run the May in NOS mode?
I was very happy with the upgrade from my RME ADI-2 FS dac to the MAY - especially after starting to use HQPLAYER upsamling to 1536KHz on my Innuos Zenith. To me that is as good as i have heard any digital setup. Only upgrade I would like to try is EC7 modulated DSD1024 but there is still no CPU capable of that - i am hoping the 13900 or Zen4 will be fast enough!
I ran it in all modes. I was literally standing there with my bank card in hand, totally ready to let my bias convince me to buy it. Whatever I was hearing was different and maybe better than the RME...but not 5k different. Like I said though, I look forward to maybe a longer home demo later this year.

Jun 25, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #1,429 of 3,032
I ran it in all modes. I was literally standing there with my bank card in hand, totally ready to let my bias convince me to buy it. Whatever I was hearing was different and maybe better than the RME...but not 5k different. Like I said though, I look forward to maybe a longer home demo later this year.
Hqplayer at 1.5mhz should be instantly noticeable

Even at 768(mscaler) you’re getting a major change in sound

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #1,430 of 3,032
Hqplayer at 1.5mhz should be instantly noticeable

Even at 768 you’re getting a major change in sound
You're saying HQplayer with a PC as opposed to using a recent Node as source? I have been trying to avoid using my PC (I will just blow up a Mac Mini if I try to do it myself)...

Jun 25, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #1,431 of 3,032
You're saying HQplayer with a PC as opposed to using a recent Node as source? I have been trying to avoid using my PC (I will just blow up a Mac Mini if I try to do it myself)...
I use a separate server

Some people run it from their PC. Or separate nuc. I have heard some say they use a Mac mini but I have no experience with that. Needs a semi hefty processor.

Jun 26, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #1,432 of 3,032
I mean...I paid 7250 for my x9000s, and I admit I paid with the thought, "Well at least this is a finished product so I won't have to hear about mods all the time."

I'm pretty sure Ferraris don't require mods to reach peak performance. I could be wrong, but isn't that what Phenomens are for?
In this case of ears touching might be closer to having a Ferrari with someone who is 2 meters tall. Mods may be needed if you want to enjoy the car (or learn to drive with your knees) even though nothing wrong with the car.

Jun 30, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #1,433 of 3,032
Good morning 9k users,
does anyone have any further knowledge or experience of replacing the SR.-X 9000 ex amplifier connection cable?
My 9k arrives tomorrow after a 7 month wait. The friendly dealer has done a comprehensive functional check and the DHL tracking data shows that the STAX is only 100 km away from me. :gs1000smile:

I have been able to intensively experience a "journey into the world of cables / mains cables" with pleasing results. Of course, I don't yet know whether the 9k has a need here or whether it makes sense to correct its audio performance.

It remains exciting!

With best regards from Rainer

Jul 2, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #1,434 of 3,032
Ok, checking back in after some more listening. Lots more actually.

First, the positive - The bass. Honestly surprising. I'm running a modest low shelve from 100hz on down as I do with most headphones to some degree, and the bass is very satisfying. It takes the light low shelve like a champ, no distortion, or other problems.

The negative? 3khz. There was something I couldn't put my finger on. It wasn't "brightness" in an overall sense from the treble. It was just anything above a medium volume level, especially with vocal stuff, was annoying the heck out of me and ultimately ruining the listening experience. Doing a 3.5db reduction at 3khz fixed it entirely and now they are very much in my favourite headphones group for their overall experience. I know some people will blame it on my cables, or my amp (though I'll hopefully have my new amp by august but I digress,) or DAC, or whatever. I've never experienced anything like that making enough of a difference at a specific frequency to fix something to that extent, but hey maybe they would be right.

Its 3khz peak isn't as bad as the CRBN, and when I say "bad" I mean for me personally. Some people love the CRBNs stock tuning, and it is even more forward than the X9000, so YMMV.

Build quality continues to impress, and the leather for the earpads is probably the nicest I've felt thus far.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #1,435 of 3,032
Ok, checking back in after some more listening. Lots more actually.

First, the positive - The bass. Honestly surprising. I'm running a modest low shelve from 100hz on down as I do with most headphones to some degree, and the bass is very satisfying. It takes the light low shelve like a champ, no distortion, or other problems.

The negative? 3khz. There was something I couldn't put my finger on. It wasn't "brightness" in an overall sense from the treble. It was just anything above a medium volume level, especially with vocal stuff, was annoying the heck out of me and ultimately ruining the listening experience. Doing a 3.5db reduction at 3khz fixed it entirely and now they are very much in my favourite headphones group for their overall experience. I know some people will blame it on my cables, or my amp (though I'll hopefully have my new amp by august but I digress,) or DAC, or whatever. I've never experienced anything like that making enough of a difference at a specific frequency to fix something to that extent, but hey maybe they would be right.

Its 3khz peak isn't as bad as the CRBN, and when I say "bad" I mean for me personally. Some people love the CRBNs stock tuning, and it is even more forward than the X9000, so YMMV.

Build quality continues to impress, and the leather for the earpads is probably the nicest I've felt thus far.
Not just bass, being only a step behind best in class, I thought X9000 got some actual visceral impact that I don't normally associate with stax. Still felt PRaT as a whole is still just about average. I heard the same 2-3khz bump and I also heard some 4-5khz elevation. I also thought it didn't sound as correct in timbre as 007. As a package, X9000 is probably the best stax.

Forgot to add: some tasteful minor EQ adjustments will push these cans to TOTL/near TOTL in all aspects, except PRaT (probably even close to TOTL in PRaT if you have it on T2)

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #1,436 of 3,032
Nice impression! @ufospls2 I have a couple of Qs.

It takes the light low shelve like a champ, no distortion, or other problems.

If possible, can you specify what decibels you used for X9k and what level you apply for other headphones? Specific example will help.
Also, (without applying bass boosts) how would you compare x9k bass to HFM/Audeze/Abyss/T+A planar bass?

The negative? 3khz.

Can you list headphones that are ideal in 3khz to you? Want to know over what x9k has excessive energy there.

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #1,437 of 3,032
Nice impression! @ufospls2 I have a couple of Qs.

If possible, can you specify what decibels you used for X9k and what level you apply for other headphones? Specific example will help.
Also, (without applying bass boosts) how would you compare x9k bass to HFM/Audeze/Abyss/T+A planar bass?

Can you list headphones that are ideal in 3khz to you? Want to know over what x9k has excessive energy there.

I'd try a low shelve from 100hz and under at 3 to 3.5db, and adjust to taste. Other headphones varies, Susvara usually 4-5db, abyss 1266TC 2db.

That said, I don't really like recommending EQ's for other people. Everyone is different and experimenting on your own and finding out what you prefer is best.

Without EQ its a bit light on the bass vs my personal preferences, but I could see how people would enjoy them stock. Probbly similar in level to Susvara stock bass with slightly less sub bass.

Ideal at 3khz? depends on the headphone and the rest of the headphones overall tuning and how it relates to 3khz. 3khz never bothered me on the susvara for example.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #1,438 of 3,032
Not just bass, being only a step behind best in class, I thought X9000 got some actual visceral impact that I don't normally associate with stax. Still felt PRaT as a whole is still just about average. I heard the same 2-3khz bump and I also heard some 4-5khz elevation. I also thought it didn't sound as correct in timbre as 007. As a package, X9000 is probably the best stax.

Forgot to add: some tasteful minor EQ adjustments will push these cans to TOTL/near TOTL in all aspects, except PRaT (probably even close to TOTL in PRaT if you have it on T2)
Agree very much. With the SR009, no matter how much you boost the bass, it just has no impact or "slam" whatsoever pretty much. 009S has slightly more but the X9000 I don't notice it missing much at all. As I mentioned, I could happily live with them as my only headphones with regards to that quality, though the 1266TC still remains my reference for it.

Jul 16, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #1,440 of 3,032
Heads up for anyone interested, after 9 long months, my original pair of x9000 is headed to me--should be here Sunday. As mentioned here, I originally intended to sell the pair I have now discounted, as I think it was a demo pair due to a few nicks it came with, but I'm going to keep them (I actually overpaid for them significantly when the supply/demand was absolutely terrible). Will sell the new pair, NIB, still under retail. Message me if interested, if not I'll put them in the classifieds later this week. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back