Apr 13, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #1,142 of 3,045
That's a beautiful shot. Nice.
I need to do a proper photoshoot with the Stax ☹️
i only have for the Bartok/LCD/HD800S 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

EB757426-752F-4BF2-8678-DA0F459BE871.jpeg
0A6673C1-BF9D-470A-BF58-2139DE895052.jpeg
E2095A89-3CC3-4476-9A0A-5583285AD229.jpeg

Apr 13, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #1,143 of 3,045
Here is my perspective as a new Stax owner on the x9000, 007Mk2 and the CRBN. My perspective is based on how each of these headphones reveal the music and how they take me deeper into hearing the music. I can't speak with authority on the various technicalities, and I don't want to. Others are much better at that. What I am hearing is that the x9000 (before I sent it in for repairs) was so balanced and layered and spacious, that I didn't think about anything but how beautifully the music I was hearing was coming across. I really did stop thinking about the headphone itself. The 007Mk2 has, for me, some of that essence, but I was aware that in some recordings I felt the tuning of the headphone needed adjustment, or there was too much or too little of something. But I still enjoy it. Unfortunately, for me, the CRBNs lack the subtle layering and space and timbre that I hear in both of the Stax phones.

I really like this approach, since I have consistent experience on what is the point where headphones previously lacking, start to display "the subtle layering and space and timbre" you are talking about. It has been about finding optimal damping with a speaker, and now optimal damping in a headphone. There is an underdamped point near the optimal damping point that makes a quality shift with so many headphones I tried.

That is not to say the drivers are not different - they are wildly different, but also often they permit a variably large range of fine tuning, which can make a big subjective difference on the terms above, while not changing the basic traits too much.

IMHO the X9K is ever so slightly too underdamped (or near perfect), the CRBN seems to be overdamped.
The X9K might benefit either from slightly thicker pads, or ones with smaller inner opening. You can try stuffing very thin foam/felt/ pieces under the back and front side of the pads, or inside the pad shell. Make sure they are not losing particles.
The CRBN might benefit from thinner pads (less foam mass in the pads) and/or larger inner openings. When trimming internal foams, start from the edges of the inside perimeter, then back and front thickness for slanted pads from the inner, then outer edge, slowly, as even 0.1 g difference is audible (imagine that, without changing the leather shell), depending on the foam structure and weight. Of course, advisably on replacement pads.

Which is better in their optimal form (and optimal may be subjective), I can't tell yet, but I am pretty sure both can be moved towards the other direction, likely the CRBN much more than the X9K.

If one is not interested in the abominations above, there is pretty good info in the sentence "Unfortunately, for me, the CRBNs lack the subtle layering and space and timbre that I hear in both of the Stax phones.", though others opinion is equally to be considered as well.

Apr 13, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #1,144 of 3,045
Here is my perspective as a new Stax owner on the x9000, 007Mk2 and the CRBN. My perspective is based on how each of these headphones reveal the music and how they take me deeper into hearing the music. I can't speak with authority on the various technicalities, and I don't want to. Others are much better at that. What I am hearing is that the x9000 (before I sent it in for repairs) was so balanced and layered and spacious, that I didn't think about anything but how beautifully the music I was hearing was coming across. I really did stop thinking about the headphone itself. The 007Mk2 has, for me, some of that essence, but I was aware that in some recordings I felt the tuning of the headphone needed adjustment, or there was too much or too little of something. But I still enjoy it. Unfortunately, for me, the CRBNs lack the subtle layering and space and timbre that I hear in both of the Stax phones. I have learned so much about what I am really looking for in a headphone. For me, it's not about bass or mid or sparkle, it's about a perfect musical balance that lets the music come forward. When my Shangri-La Sr phones finally arrive I hope that between the x9000s and the SGLs I will have the ideal situation to experience and enjoy recorded music at the highest level. A year and a half ago, I had never heard of Stax and had no idea what estats were all about. This has all been so much fun!

I'm just really glad you stuck with it to get a really good grasp with quite a few different stats. I was hoping you wouldn't jump ship without trying a few more.

I've been enjoying reading your impressions as you go, and I'm looking forward to when you have the x9000 and SGL Sr. :)

Apr 13, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #1,145 of 3,045
Big difference between trolling and sharing a valid perspective based on first hand experience
To me this is the most important point….
Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion and express it here as well as entitled to agree or disagree BUT how somebody (I don’t care who and including me) have a valid and valuable to share opinion when have no direct experience with the piece for as little it could be? That just blows my mind.

I own the 009 for a few years and used to own the 007 mk II (which I sold after sometime besucase it was just not for me). I have on order the X9000 since early November just based on what I have read but I have not express any opinion just simply because I have no experience with it so how I can contribute with any validity?

The idea is to share our experiences not to just create noise in my opinion.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 13, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #1,146 of 3,045
After my first CanJam experience I will never buy any products basic on what other people said about a product. Yes, some of the sound descriptions are agreeable. However, reading what to expect and listening to your own ears are different experiences. My brief experience with the the X9000 was overall positive, but I would like to hear it on a different setup as I didn't really like the Woo 3ES pairing with the X9000 sounded too laid back.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #1,147 of 3,045
To me this is the most important point….
Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion and express it here as well as entitled to agree or disagree BUT how somebody (I don’t care who and including me) have a valid and valuable to share opinion when have no direct experience with the piece for as little it could be? That just blows my mind.

I own the 009 for a few years and used to own the 007 mk II (which I sold after sometime besucase it was just not for me). I have on order the X9000 since early November just based on what I have read but I have not express any opinion just simply because I have no experience with it so how I can contribute with any validity?

The idea is to share our experiences not to just create noise in my opinion.
I agree that ideally people should not share opinions about gear they have not heard, although it happens all the time on Head-Fi. I think that in this case, he has been pretty clear that he has not heard it, so it is not a big deal to me. But I get where you guys are coming from on that.

Apr 13, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #1,148 of 3,045
After my first CanJam experience I will never buy any products basic on what other people said about a product. Yes, some of the sound descriptions are agreeable. However, reading what to expect and listening to your own ears are different experiences. My brief experience with the the X9000 was overall positive, but I would like to hear it on a different setup as I didn't really like the Woo 3ES pairing with the X9000 sounded too laid back.
That could be due to the Woo 3ES.
I am normally a Woo lover but when I heard that amo with the Voce I did not like it. To me the sound was too dull and without any character.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 14, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #1,150 of 3,045
That could be due to the Woo 3ES.
I am normally a Woo lover but when I heard that amo with the Voce I did not like it. To me the sound was too dull and without any character.
I shared similar impression that the Woo 3ES is quite dull, probably would be a better pairing with the SR-009S with it's forward presentation.

Apr 15, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #1,151 of 3,045
Ignoring income and $ I can say I’d take the HE1 10 times out of 10 if I could.

Heard X9000 off BHSE, WES & T2/ Aeras at Canjam NY. Sounded good on T2 & Aeras (Custom DAC so not sure how it’s voiced)

Heard it off all Stax amps at Montreal Audio Show (sounded great on T8000)

Had it extensively at home and listened through a custom build SR-X Plus (with BHSE output stage) & custom build (“DSST-E”, best Stax amp I’ve heard but in development stages - lacks gain at the moment).

......its so easy to hear what the x9000 can not do and what the HE1 can do 😉
(The sax and guitars are great with the X👍.....but a third is missing of the performance from this track )

NOMAX

@Trance_Gott

PS.there is no body and no moving air mass with the Stax....and no matter with which amp
Now I don't want to continue to disturb the Stax fans with my views

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #1,153 of 3,045
(The sax and guitars are great with the X👍.....but a third is missing of the performance from this track )

NOMAX

@Trance_Gott

PS.there is no body and no moving air mass with the Stax....and no matter with which amp
Now I don't want to continue to disturb the Stax fans with my views

Really disagree about bass not being there

disagree about 1/3 missing. Like reallllllllllly disagree lol.

I definitely need to take a break from head fi.

Reading through comments like this baffles me. You even say “it’s gonna make people angry”. Yeah it doesn’t help.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #1,154 of 3,045

But what can the HE1 do here that the X9K cannot? (more details?)

Though I am not sure this is the best recording for stating something like that... too ethereal, compressed and no body indeed, with any headphones... (tried about 6).
Which makes me think, how often the musical source and musical preferences are not mentioned when people are comparing headphones, but we are taking opinions as they were relevant to our musical sources and preferences?

(in this case the source and preference were mentioned, which helped me estimate the relevance for me) :)

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #1,155 of 3,045
Really disagree about bass not being there

disagree about 1/3 missing. Like reallllllllllly disagree lol.

I definitely need to take a break from head fi.

Reading through comments like this baffles me. You even say “it’s gonna make people angry”. Yeah it doesn’t help.

You are a owner of the 1266 TC and X9000?
Compared it side by side this track

Which one moves more air mass?
Which one makes more air pressure?
X9000 or TC?

NOMAX

PS.everbody knows the answer 😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back