Stax SR-X9000
Mar 20, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #1,022 of 3,073
Has anyone had a problem with the x9000s where the left or the right is louder than the other? Is a channel imbalance an issue with these headphones?

Mar 21, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #1,023 of 3,073
Has anyone had a problem with the x9000s where the left or the right is louder than the other? Is a channel imbalance an issue with these headphones?
not with mine, none of my stax so far have encounter channel imbalance issue, have you store it in a dry place with dehumidifier?

Mar 21, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #1,024 of 3,073
not with mine, none of my stax so far have encounter channel imbalance issue, have you store it in a dry place with dehumidifier?
Thanks. It seems that the left side is somewhat louder than the right on all music tested. I have also tested on two different amplifiers. I hope these expensive phones aren't so fragile that I can't have them sit out on a stand like I do all my other headphones. For now, I will put them back into the box they came in and let them stay there for a few days or a week or so. I hope that resting in the box will do the trick. Can you imagine sending these back to Japan and what that would entail? My CRBNs are being repaired at Audeze for the sticking diaphragm issue. Boy, these electrostatics are becoming somewhat of a pain!

Mar 21, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #1,025 of 3,073
I had this problem with my X9000 (channel imbalance of 10db). Returned it to swiss STAX representative. Repair took 3 months because he had to wait for two exchange drivers from Japan. Drivers can only be replaced in pairs. Swiss representative helped me out with his pair to bridge the waiting time, which I highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #1,026 of 3,073
I had this problem with my X9000 (channel imbalance of 10db). Returned it to swiss STAX representative. Repair took 3 months because he had to wait for two exchange drivers from Japan. Drivers can only be replaced in pairs. Swiss representative helped me out with his pair to bridge the waiting time, which I highly appreciated.
Thank you. That's what I was afraid of. I am really disappointed. The discrepancy between the channels is clear and I have only owned these for a short time. I guess I will contact my dealer to see what he says. I am beginning to wonder if I made a wise decision investing so much money in estats, only to have both sets I own in need of repair after a short amount of use.

Mar 21, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #1,027 of 3,073
Thanks. It seems that the left side is somewhat louder than the right on all music tested. I have also tested on two different amplifiers. I hope these expensive phones aren't so fragile that I can't have them sit out on a stand like I do all my other headphones. For now, I will put them back into the box they came in and let them stay there for a few days or a week or so. I hope that resting in the box will do the trick. Can you imagine sending these back to Japan and what that would entail? My CRBNs are being repaired at Audeze for the sticking diaphragm issue. Boy, these electrostatics are becoming somewhat of a pain!
thats what i normally do, i just put electrostatic headphone back in its original box and throw 2 pack of dehumidifier in.
my friend say the same trick will work with the Sony R10 as well, the R10 biocellose driver will become heaviler due to humid air and cause slight channel imbalance issue...I personally never expriences channel imbalance on R10 though..
but if that dont work you better send it back to stax asap before your warrenty expries lol

Mar 21, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #1,028 of 3,073
thats what i normally do, i just put electrostatic headphone back in its original box and throw 2 pack of dehumidifier in.
my friend say the same trick will work with the Sony R10 as well, the R10 biocellose driver will become heaviler due to humid air and cause slight channel imbalance issue...I personally never expriences channel imbalance on R10 though..
but if that dont work you better send it back to stax asap before your warrenty expries lol
Thanks for the tip about the dehumidifier pacs. I will get some of these pacs today and store my x9000s away for a week to see what happens. In the meantime, I'll let my dealer know that I might have a repair issue if the dehumidifier pacs don't work.

Mar 21, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #1,029 of 3,073
I have been dealing with electrostatics for over a decade, and I live in a city where the average humidity throughout the year is 80%! I have experienced the intermittent problem of imbalance in EVERY Stax unit I have ever had... one week everything is fine, the next it is bad... until one day I decided to adopt the dehumidifier cabinets and since then the problem never appeared again. I strongly suggest these devices to store electrostatics, but not only for them.

IMG_0038.jpg

Mar 21, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #1,030 of 3,073
I have been dealing with electrostatics for over a decade, and I live in a city where the average humidity throughout the year is 80%! I have experienced the intermittent problem of imbalance in EVERY Stax unit I have ever had... one week everything is fine, the next it is bad... until one day I decided to adopt the dehumidifier cabinets and since then the problem never appeared again. I strongly suggest these devices to store electrostatics, but not only for them.

IMG_0038.jpg
The cabinets are lovely, but there is no room in my New York City apartment. I’ll have to rely on the dehumidifier packets and the closed box. I hope it works. I wish I had known just how finicky estate can be!

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #1,031 of 3,073

IMG_0038.jpg
Just curious why k1000 have the same treatment as electrostatic headphone?

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #1,032 of 3,073
The cabinets are lovely, but there is no room in my New York City apartment. I’ll have to rely on the dehumidifier packets and the closed box. I hope it works. I wish I had known just how finicky estate can be!
Well not all electrostatic are that fragile, my Martin Logan electrostatic loud speaker are fine for 8years being not cover inside my hifi room
(Windows always close and air conditioning on during humid days)

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #1,033 of 3,073
If you want to be shure about the balance of your drivers, you could download an app for measurind dB on your phone. There are some for free and they are good enough for that use. Get a testsignal and put one driver after the other on your phone.
Wish you good luck with your electrostats!

The foils of electrostatic loudspeaker are much thicker than those of headphones.

Mar 21, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #1,034 of 3,073
Apparently my X9000 is coming in a week or two. I have a 3ES Elite, and I’ll post some impressions when I get them. There’s also the Stereophile article a couple of pages back, where they write about the X9000 with the 3ES. Although, it isn’t terribly helpful, but he liked the pairing.
Hi. Did you receive your x9000 yet? Very interested in hearing your opinion of the X9000 with the 3ES Elite!

Mar 21, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #1,035 of 3,073
If you want to be shure about the balance of your drivers, you could download an app for measurind dB on your phone. There are some for free and they are good enough for that use. Get a testsignal and put one driver after the other on your phone.
Wish you good luck with your electrostats!

The foils of electrostatic loudspeaker are much thicker than those of headphones.
Thanks. I do have a dB app on my phone and I will measure the L/R drivers in a week after they have been in the closed case with dehumidifying packets. I live in a normal NYC apartment with a normal amount of dust in the air. I wonder if plain old dust in the air is enough to cause a driver imbalance. It's nice to get so much good advice and support from members of this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back