Stax SR-X1 (new entry model)
Apr 13, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #48 of 64
I've preordered the X1 (how we are all poor from impulsive purchases 😂).
But now I need to figure out what to amp it with since I've sold my 500T. Thinking of topping EHA5, or the 400S or the 700S (probably overkill for this)..
Any thoughts on these amps or other recommendations?

Apr 13, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #49 of 64
I've preordered the X1 (how we are all poor from impulsive purchases 😂).
But now I need to figure out what to amp it with since I've sold my 500T. Thinking of topping EHA5, or the 400S or the 700S (probably overkill for this)..
Any thoughts on these amps or other recommendations?
I’d recommend a used Stax T1s. Stax + tubes really is a match made in heaven the T1 is a great option for that. It’s a better 006 if the stax mafia is to be believed. I personally have a modified one

Apr 14, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #50 of 64
I have a message for this new boy: better be ready for the fight with the old boys.

By the time it arrives, these two might have a tussle of their own for the connector on the right.

And as we know, three into one won't go.

AP1GczOX4gtgcEnV9a6CoA-C7fubZ_r4-e8y-OWBFsihubTuRT1s-QFQSTTxnxH6IIlxokgPWX3vWuoPhqlF1IxTm32-GwxPha8YK0qmBu4fWZcUzzWkOY9-S1lQkVxnEJlqw_ngqyWLJwqNWltD5XjSfUfH=w1152-h720-s-no-gm

Apr 14, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #51 of 64
Exciting to hear more reviews of this Estat.

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #53 of 64
Interesting! finally not the plastic frame :-D
Since it's due for release between March to May, I wonder if I can see it at the June Canjam

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #55 of 64
Order made from the Danish distributor, I will amplify them with D10II, BHSE, Carbon CC. Waiting for them to arrive
I imagine the D10 is the best companion in terms of what most people will use it with. People with the X1 are probably never going to fork up the cash for the carbon or BHSE but of course still super interesting.

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #57 of 64
Had a chance to listen to these at an event today for about 25mins.

To me it's probably the first stax that has a balanced tuning (even the X-9000 is bright to my ears ymmv). Not bright, think harman but slightly darker up top. It sounded really nice with all genres off my lib of metal, jpops, polyphia etc. And it actually does decent sub-bass, a first for any stax. This is a win in my book, cause great tuning + resolution of electrostats is rare, unless you're talking about totl stuff.

It could be due to the small driver and/or amp power, but soundstage is quite small.

Build quality isn't the best, but it's definitely better than the old L-series. And thanks to the new circle pad design, you get proper seal and that's likely where the sub-bass came from.

Had a chance to talk to the rep too. He said everything is newly designed from the ground up. Down to the driver.

Hope this helps you guys who are wondering 😁
Sounds like a great move from Stax, a cheaper and more modern design with a more laid-back tuning is exactly what they needed to get back in the game. Curious to hear the improved bass rendition.

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #58 of 64
Somehow these have wound up being $1100 AUD in Australia...
Going to go and take a chance on an eBay import from Japan instead I think once they start becoming more readily available.
Very excited to hear everyone's reviews on them!

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #60 of 64
I wonder how this will stack up against L700s (both old and mk2).

Interested to know if it's worth upgrading from L700 to SR-X1 or not.
I’d be genuinely surprised if that would be an upgrade so much as a downgrade in almost all aspects except build and detachable cables (for L700 MK1).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back