Stax SR-X1 (new entry model)
Feb 12, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #16 of 62
I think the sound signature of the SR-X (mk3) comes more from the damping and stator design rather than the pads (at least ime trying various pads of differing thickness etc had a noticable, but not huge difference for me... the "up-front in your face mids" always seemed to stay there, with just a bit of low-end body and extension changing).

Not noticed before but the SR-X (mk3) has two distinct hole patterns? This looks to be lacking on the SR-X1 which looks more like SR 3/5 stator in terms of hole pattern distribution. This region certainly seems to have some effect on the sound signature. (007 and X9000 both have different patterns in these regions... or in the case of the 007 no pattern).

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #17 of 62
I think the sound signature of the SR-X (mk3) comes more from the damping and stator design rather than the pads (at least ime trying various pads of differing thickness etc had a noticable, but not huge difference for me... the "up-front in your face mids" always seemed to stay there, with just a bit of low-end body and extension changing).

Not noticed before but the SR-X (mk3) has two distinct hole patterns? This looks to be lacking on the SR-X1 which looks more like SR 3/5 stator in terms of hole pattern. This region certainly seems to have some affect on the sound signature. (007 and X9000 both have different patterns in these regions... or in the case of the 007 no pattern).
Partly, the damping and the shell are very different too. Other wise the SR-5N and SR-X Mk3 and SR-Gamma/Alpha all share the exact same driver.

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #20 of 62
Any pics of the pads + ear side? I am wondering if this is supraaural like the old SR-X.
7b07be9eaeea445b.jpg

GF8teCxacAAILVr

Feb 12, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #22 of 62
This might be the way I finally enter the world of e-stats. Aside from my vintage K340 hybrid.

Feb 12, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #23 of 62
Wow thanks! So this looks realllyy like a SR-5N successor to me , with the more open style SR-X baffles.

Where are you guys getting the photos and listening impressions from? is there a Japanese website out there with people posting?

thanks

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #24 of 62
This might be the way I finally enter the world of e-stats. Aside from my vintage K340 hybrid.
I think, that's why Stax comes out with such a model - to catch some newbies.

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #25 of 62
I would be one of those newbies, if these will be possible to aquire where I live, under 1k for a complete kit is low enough for wanting to try e-stats

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #26 of 62
Stax has always had an entry-level offering <$1000. It used to be the L300 + SRM-252s. The 252s was discontinued last year or the year before that, which left a hole in their amp lineup. The 270S will fill it. Some reports suggest that the SR-X1 will replace the L300 as well. And Stax is far more common in Japan than internationally - I've seen pictures of Stax sets being sold in normal Japanese electronics retailers (their equivalent of Best Buy in the States or something like Saturn in Germany) - so I think it's not so much of a targeted "get the newbies" release as simply the next generation of their entry-level product.

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #27 of 62
I would be one of those newbies, if these will be possible to aquire where I live, under 1k for a complete kit is low enough for wanting to try e-stats
To be fair, it depends on what you’re willing to put up with. You can find decent deals on a 3100 system which includes a L300 and 252s to power it. That can be find for well under $550 easy. But again, it would need to be used.

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #28 of 62
Stax has always had an entry-level offering <$1000. It used to be the L300 + SRM-252s. The 252s was discontinued last year or the year before that, which left a hole in their amp lineup. The 270S will fill it. Some reports suggest that the SR-X1 will replace the L300 as well. And Stax is far more common in Japan than internationally - I've seen pictures of Stax sets being sold in normal Japanese electronics retailers (their equivalent of Best Buy in the States or something like Saturn in Germany) - so I think it's not so much of a targeted "get the newbies" release as simply the next generation of their entry-level product.

I mean, it's a little different this time. This new entry level product doesn't look like a piece of a characters costume from the Masters of the Universe movie. For someone that's curious about entering this subcategory, that's probably going to be pretty important.

Feb 12, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #29 of 62
Partly, the damping and the shell are very different too. Other wise the SR-5N and SR-X Mk3 and SR-Gamma/Alpha all share the exact same driver.
I agree that the housing probably has the biggest impact on the sound signature, but the SR-5N and Gamma are different headphones. In terms of just pad rolling on the mk3, do circumaural make much of a difference to the sound?

I've tried a number of different supra-aural pads and while there was a difference (low end improvement in some cases), it wasn't much and the mk3 generally kept its soundstage and wonderful mids. Personally I don't think there is one-to-rule-them-all, but for a nice intimate soundstage and clarity, I think the mk3 is hard to beat (not heard a pro though :cry:).

Part of me was hoping that the SR-X1 (given the name) would be a modern rendition of the SR-X (......mk4). However if it is more akin to a cheaper 'X' series that doesn't need modding one way or another, then I'd be all over that too.

Please don't let me down stax. I've used all my blu-tack postering my wall with SR007 pin-ups. :fingers_crossed:

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #30 of 62
I agree that the housing probably has the biggest impact on the sound signature, but the SR-5N and Gamma are different headphones. In terms of just pad rolling on the mk3, do circumaural make much of a difference to the sound?

I've tried a number of different supra-aural pads and while there was a difference (low end improvement in some cases), it wasn't much and the mk3 generally kept its soundstage and wonderful mids. Personally I don't think there is one-to-rule-them-all, but for a nice intimate soundstage and clarity, I think the mk3 is hard to beat (not heard a pro though :cry:).

Part of me was hoping that the SR-X1 (given the name) would be a modern rendition of the SR-X (......mk4). However if it is more akin to a cheaper 'X' series that doesn't need modding one way or another, then I'd be all over that too.

Please don't let me down stax. I've used all my blu-tack postering my wall with SR007 pin-ups. :fingers_crossed:
Gamma and SR-5N do sound different but they also have very different pads as well. The Gamma is actually more like a superaural and my ears hurt wearing them~.

But yeah, I think for that driver type, the housing really makes a big difference and the sr-x Mk3 has become one of my most favourite headphones. I haven't heard a pro, yet, but I do have a gamma pro and I have been considering doing an implant. Problem is my gamma pro is in excellent condition.

But yeah, if Stax just made a modern SR-X, that would be, perfect. I hope it is since they did mention this will be more professionally oriented

Users who are viewing this thread

Back