Stax SR-X mk3 broken?
Dec 18, 2012 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

granoj

New Head-Fier
Hi all

I recently acquired SR-X mk3 with two SRD7sb energizers. I`ve been testing them and I`m pretty sure the headphones aren`t working properly. There is no bass at all. With some heavy EQ lift there is some bass but the sound is unnatural and very tiring. I´ve tested with both energizers and the results are the same. My reference is Stax SR-303. Any ideas? 

Thanx,

Jarno

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 8
Dec 19, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 8
oh I overlooked that you just got them so yes that's definitely the first step to try.  I remember once i pulled the adapter plug out of the wall during cleaning and forgot about it, then thought the headphones were shot, luckily I
bigsmile_face.gif
noticed 

Glad you found something to check out.

The SB( self bias ) adapters only get the power when the stereo is on, whereas the AC adapter boxes draw power from the wall , just a reminder. You probably knew that though

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #6 of 8
okay, headphones are warming up now. I made a quad output on my soundcard so I can listen through speakers while charging the Stax...
I am a little afraid this is the problem

Quote:
Most of these are due to the massive volume mismatch between the headphones and speakers connected to the loopout.  Forget to turn down the volume before turning the switch and you get 400+Vp-p- on the stators and the diaphragm starts to arc. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back