STAX SR-X mk3 and SRD-7/SB
Sep 14, 2021 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

plogmannen

New Head-Fier
Hi.

I'm new in the hifi world, just have some Qpad 1339, Zero Audio tenore, Aiaiai and the good old Porta Pro, and could need some advice.

I have the opportunity to buy a combo of STAX SR-X mk3 and SRD-7/SB for 115$

+ Is this a good deal?
+ It's there anything I should look out for?
+ What earpads can I buy to replace the old, thin ones, that will enhance bass and comfort?
+ How well do they respond to eq for enhancing bass?

Should I wait and look out for used Lambdas instead?

Hope for some insight :)

Best regards,
P

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 20
Very good deal. These are not bass monsters, but do provide bass. Pads are no longer available but you could use other brands that have the same inner and outer diameters and about 3/4 inch thick. To test them, hook up the SRD-7 to a speaker amp and plus the headphones into the SRD-7. Give them a few minutes to charge up and listen to them. Some age related problems may show up such as one or both sides dead or imbalance between the two sides. Imbalance may go away after they charge for an hour or two. Listen for buzzing or squealing, thus may be due to dust on the membrane.
Even if any of these occur other than completely dead, it is a good price. Repair can be done in some cases, such as blowing out the dust or resoldering loose wires. I say go for it.

Sep 14, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 20
Very good deal. These are not bass monsters, but do provide bass. Pads are no longer available but you could use other brands that have the same inner and outer diameters and about 3/4 inch thick. To test them, hook up the SRD-7 to a speaker amp and plus the headphones into the SRD-7. Give them a few minutes to charge up and listen to them. Some age related problems may show up such as one or both sides dead or imbalance between the two sides. Imbalance may go away after they charge for an hour or two. Listen for buzzing or squealing, thus may be due to dust on the membrane.
Even if any of these occur other than completely dead, it is a good price. Repair can be done in some cases, such as blowing out the dust or resoldering loose wires. I say go for it.
Thanks a lot!
Very good information.
Do you know if they respond to eq well, or does this damage the sound signature?

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 20
You can eq them but you will not get deep loud bass as the drivers are only 50mm in diameter. But other than that they eq very well.

Sep 15, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 20
Beyond a very good deal. The adapter is worth at least that alone. The unfortunate part would be if the SR-X mk3 is not the desirable Pro version. Dont feel down because the Pro version is rare and worth a lot more, like an extra digit more.

Sep 16, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 20
Beyond a very good deal. The adapter is worth at least that alone. The unfortunate part would be if the SR-X mk3 is not the desirable Pro version. Dont feel down because the Pro version is rare and worth a lot more, like an extra digit more.
Yes a lot more. I have a normal bias, but I still love it.

Sep 16, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 20
I had a Stax SR-X mk3 many years ago and it was an amazing experience. My first, and so far, only electrostatic headphone. Simply amazing transparency, which helps you overlook the lack of low bass, or mid-bass, or...but for the price that is a rare bargain.

Let us know how it works out.

Sep 16, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #9 of 20
Thx, it is not the pro version. The adapter comparison is good, it puts it in perspective

Sep 16, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #11 of 20
I had a Stax SR-X mk3 many years ago and it was an amazing experience. My first, and so far, only electrostatic headphone. Simply amazing transparency, which helps you overlook the lack of low bass, or mid-bass, or...but for the price that is a rare bargain.

Let us know how it works out.
Thx for the input, I've read about the subdued bass but the level of details makes it seem so attractive to get to experience.
Most concerning, given it is a good functioning pair, is the pads and replacing them for increased comfort and if possible retaining the good sound

I'll def get back on how it works out

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #12 of 20
These are the ones that were installed on mine, they work very well but the previous owner could not tell me what kind of earpads these were. They look like velour pads made by Dekoni.

I would say that I owned/heard about 5-6 normal bias SR-X Mk3 pairs in total and only half of them were working correctly, unfortunately a lot of them have damaged coating or even holes in the diapgragm and in need of a repair.
I do have a second one going through this process so once it is complete I can tell how it compares against this perfectly working one (when I got it the difference was very big and not because of the pads, the other one was quieter at both sides with almost no bass to speak of, while this one is reasonable)

SRXpads1.jpg

SRXpads2.jpg

SRXpads3.jpg

Sep 16, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #13 of 20
Okay, some things to look out for regarding sound, that's great!
The pads looks good, I've been looking at Dekoni's but don't get who's compatible, not from that site or scrolling through this forum. Brand name comes up but not the specifics.
Thanks a lot for adding the pictures 🙂

Sep 16, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #15 of 20
Nice! Can I ask if you have changed the ear pads and if yes, what type? Is there a point in getting angled pads? This is like an adventure...
I kind of doubt angled pads would work all that well as these sit on the ear not around them. But you never know they may work great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back