Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #61 of 1,163
I have 207, and L300 should come this week. So we both will figure out at same time
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Please update on differences.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #62 of 1,163
I´m also curious, now i use "bass fart mod" 207, with 507 pads and 307 band pad.:confused:

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #63 of 1,163

As you can see, most part are same from old Λ. Good to have spare parts available. Funny idea to put grey/brown band from old lambdas...it should fit.
Detail is better, but bass is firmer- feels less louder. It´s not fair comparison to bass fart 207´s, but you get idea. Original 207 is bass shy, but not anymore after that mod. L300 bass is bit less than modded 207, maybe because it´s tighter. Yeah like low Qts vs high Qts woofer.
I must admit details are bit more, without being annoying.
So for trance, techno i´ll use modded 207, and everything else (jazz, 80´s...) the L300.
L300 sound feels bit more "comfortable" like granturismo, but you get not sport ride sense, like with hothatch (207).
Also limousine is ok for long trips, where hothatch can make you tired sooner

007 is comfort king- limousine, you don´t feel wearing it. Also treble are even less sharp, there is a cloth above drivers.
L300 has just a thin plastic mesh. Cloth on 207 is thickest, sharp treble.
Bass fart mod i see is impossible to do on L.
With L300 i do not have wear problem, unless your ears protrude like

SR-L it is a step evolution, but not revolution.
All are secondhand (with new parts), so YMMV.

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #65 of 1,163
Hi,

The pads on the L300 looks much thinner than the pads on the 207. Can you confirm that ? 

How do the sound compare without any mods between 207 and L300?

Thanks

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #66 of 1,163
spent evening with them, after that i have to improve the score :wink: my 1st observation was somewhat negative.
My gear is diy "Pluto 2A3/SE" w/ transformers. Again YMMV
Pads have non symmetric gasket, put one way it will seal less at front.
At stock, L globally feels better, (sometimes above 007) Some coloration on 007 gets audible
L pads are very soft to touch, 207 are hard fake leather, 507 pads are soft leather
Small comfort issues i have with 207, they like to sag

Short answer , get L and do not need look elsewhere.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #67 of 1,163

hpeter, 
I sealed/restored infinite baffle to my L300 (the through-baffle "bassport" holes in the baffles) with gorilla tape [The three of them per channel].

I believe the holes may help with the Staxfart, as the D/S may be even less with these highly efficient headphones. I don't like the 50hz rolloff with the L series at all.. I want the Stax to execute below 30hz. Still they are fine headphones.

I do find the L300 has some resolution problems/issues.. It is good, but it seems like Tyll is correct in that there's an indistinctness in the upper midrange/and strings, et al frequency area. You tell me.. 

I know the 009 has a fair bit more resolution and it sounds like the L500 is closer to the L700... than L300. 
L300 may have a fine but lesser diaphragm material(?), Don't know. 

I think DIY (larger, elliptical or circular) drivers may be the only option but I am considering purchasing the L500
too before doing that... to compare. 

Also, pull that rubbery plasticized mesh out of them and then listen.
blink.gif
 I have no reasonable ideas why those thing's are in there anyway....

For people asking about the pads below, yes they are very different... 

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #74 of 1,163
imho, entry stax can fight with 1k $ dynamic phones, what do you think?
for example hd700 i believe no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back