Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #526 of 1,163
Yep! And I got to compare them all using both 252S and 353X. If I remember correctly, Zeos was borrowing your L700 for his review, yeah? My buddy is the one that let Zeos borrow his L300 and L500 for the other part of the review. I think once the review dropped he decided he needed to get the L700 as well haha. He loves Stax and didn't even own any other headphones until I sold him my EMU Teak.

Stax doesn't quite fit my preferences for primary listening, but the Lambda series does so many unique and interesting things that I feel like I want to have one in the collection for special cases.

Yessir, the L700 and SRM-1 Mk2 amp in the review were mine. After the review came out, I hitched up my britches and ordered 353X, so now I own all 3 at once. And for the amps, my ears largely agree with Z's assessment....SRM-1 steps up detail a fair amount from 252S, but may be slightly bass-light. I would be remiss if I didn't insert a disclaimer that my personal SRM-1 *may* need to be recapped, and *may* sound bass-light as a result. I use 353X pretty exclusively now.

Pretty neat that you know the other guy as well. Tell him "thank you" from me, the L300 review video is what put L700 on my radar.

Feb 2, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #527 of 1,163
Yessir, the L700 and SRM-1 Mk2 amp in the review were mine. After the review came out, I hitched up my britches and ordered 353X, so now I own all 3 at once. And for the amps, my ears largely agree with Z's assessment....SRM-1 steps up detail a fair amount from 252S, but may be slightly bass-light. I would be remiss if I didn't insert a disclaimer that my personal SRM-1 *may* need to be recapped, and *may* sound bass-light as a result. I use 353X pretty exclusively now.

Pretty neat that you know the other guy as well. Tell him "thank you" from me, the L300 review video is what put L700 on my radar.

Haha so you guys basically egged each other on then! He got you to eventually buy the L700, and in turn your L700 eventually got him to buy one too. Crazy hobby man.

Feb 2, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #528 of 1,163
Haha so you guys basically egged each other on then! He got you to eventually buy the L700, and in turn your L700 eventually got him to buy one too. Crazy hobby man.

LOL I guess you're right! That video got me started looking. Found the right deal on a barely-used L700 plus SRM-1 bundle and had to jump on it. Talked with Z during the whole process..........had L700 in my possession ONE DAY and turned it right around to him. That was super tough to do......but I figured the thousands that would see the review outweighed my needs. And I had my 2170 system to keep me company for those 6 months.

Feb 2, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #536 of 1,163
Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #537 of 1,163
It's such a struggle because Stax USA got shut down or something and the prices on ebay are out of my range.
Stax 'USA' is Woo Audio now:

Woo Audio is not the American distributor for STAX; they are just a dealer, and have been for years.

Yama's Enterprises (the company behind STAXUSA.com) used to be the American distributor.

Info on the upcoming American distributor (RPD) is here: http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/Distributor-USA2.html

Also, it would appear that STAX are finally selling direct. (Though they may have a partnership with other entities.)

https://stax.theshop.jp

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #538 of 1,163
Hmm, searching around, seems like a few people have fried their 252 and/or fuses using the "proper" jameco power supply. Wonder what the issue is

Not a clue. I can tell ya my 252S still works just fine with the Jameco wall wart after almost 2 years.

Feb 7, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #539 of 1,163
My L300 friends.

Man, these are some fantastic headphones. They have put all my other cans out of use, seemingly permanently. I am putting my dynamic headphones up for sale. Some of which I was sure I would never ever sell.

I have some questions for you. How similar or dissimilar are the L700 from the L300? Some seem to strongly prefer one over the other. Generally it seems people agree the L700 are the "better" or more technical headphones. I also would like to hear some thoughts on HD800 vs L300.

My own "analysis" of the L300 are..

- Small soundstage, lacks depth but somewhat wide
- Amazing levels of detail and very fast, however can get congested at times (busy tracks)
- Very, very natural timbre and tone. Absolutely nailed it imo!
- A bit harsh/hard treble AT TIMES, and only on loud volumes. Can be sibilant. This may also be the 252s not handling volume well (?)

As far as I can understand, L700 is similar but bigger soundstage, overall higher resolution. HD800 obviously much larger soundstage. What other differences? More bass?

Feb 7, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #540 of 1,163
My L300 friends.

Man, these are some fantastic headphones. They have put all my other cans out of use, seemingly permanently. I am putting my dynamic headphones up for sale. Some of which I was sure I would never ever sell.

I have some questions for you. How similar or dissimilar are the L700 from the L300? Some seem to strongly prefer one over the other. Generally it seems people agree the L700 are the "better" or more technical headphones. I also would like to hear some thoughts on HD800 vs L300.

My own "analysis" of the L300 are..

- Small soundstage, lacks depth but somewhat wide
- Amazing levels of detail and very fast, however can get congested at times (busy tracks)
- Very, very natural timbre and tone. Absolutely nailed it imo!
- A bit harsh/hard treble AT TIMES, and only on loud volumes. Can be sibilant. This may also be the 252s not handling volume well (?)

As far as I can understand, L700 is similar but bigger soundstage, overall higher resolution. HD800 obviously much larger soundstage. What other differences? More bass?

What a minute. A stax, congested? O_o This is the first time I've ever read this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back