STAX SR-5 earpads replacement help
Aug 4, 2017 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Chinoloco078

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone. I've just bought a pair of SR-5 & SRD-6 combo. Been playing the SR-5s off my SRM-1 MK-2 and they sound detailed and fun. Obviously they are not big on the bass department, but I noticed that if I pushed the headphones towards my head and created a better deal, the bass was more present. Hence I'd love to buy a pair of replacement pads that will get me a more proper seal.

I can't seem to find replacements in the usual places like eBay, staxusa not on the FS forums here. Any idea where to get them?

Attachments

• IMG_20170803_202459.jpg
    IMG_20170803_202459.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 4, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 14
While I can't link you to a shop that sells them outright at this time, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

For reference, here's an archived link for the pads you're looking for.

http://web.archive.org/web/20160820...com/parts/ear-pads/stax-sr-3-sr-5-earpad.html

(STAXUSA.com is owned by Yama's Enterprises, who are no longer an authorized STAX distributor.)

RPD Ltd. is in the process of being STAX's new US distributor. Here's a link for info on them. It should be updated with more info later.

http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/Distributor-USA2.html

In the meantime, you could get in touch with other STAX distributors in the US such as ElusiveDisc.com and HeadAmp.com. They may be able to assist you. If that doesn't work out, you could branch out and try to contact distributors from other countries or even STAX themselves.

Aug 5, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 14
While I can't link you to a shop that sells them outright at this time, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

For reference, here's an archived link for the pads you're looking for.

http://web.archive.org/web/20160820...com/parts/ear-pads/stax-sr-3-sr-5-earpad.html

(STAXUSA.com is owned by Yama's Enterprises, who are no longer an authorized STAX distributor.)

RPD Ltd. is in the process of being STAX's new US distributor. Here's a link for info on them. It should be updated with more info later.

http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/Distributor-USA2.html

In the meantime, you could get in touch with other STAX distributors in the US such as ElusiveDisc.com and HeadAmp.com. They may be able to assist you. If that doesn't work out, you could branch out and try to contact distributors from other countries or even STAX themselves.

Thanks for the wide range of info. I really appreciate the complete picture about Yama as I've not dealt with them directly myself. I'll check out the links and vendors you mentioned as I'll be a STAX user for the foreseeable future. Thanks again.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #5 of 14
Damn. Thanks Music Alchemy. I own a pair of the massdrop TH-4xx and I didn't even think about the possibility. I also have a pair of Alcántara Shure 1540 pads lying around. I'm going to start messing with them this weekend and report back.

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 14
Ok. So I woke up and couldn't wait to try the shure1540 Alcántara. I ripped them off my t50rp mk3 and proceeded to also disassemble the SR-5 pads. There's pics below showing the two pads side by side. Then mounted on the earcups of the SR-5 side by side. There was some dots of dou Le tape holding the old SR-5 stock pads, easily peeled off, and I wish the Lambda were these easy to padroll.

I assembled the SR-5 back together and I'm listening now. The new pads have added a little distance for the earcups from my ears, which makes the music sound at a more comfortable distance and adds minimal soundstage so the vocals aren't so forward. Sibilance has also been tamed a bit since the new pads have a mesh between the cup and my ears. The bass is a bit more pronounced since the seal is way better. And I suspect that the added distance between the ear and cup might add a bit to the perceived bass bump.

Thanks again Music Alchemy to get me trying things here at home. I love these SR-5s now!!!!

IMG_20170805_104051.jpg
IMG_20170805_104101.jpg
IMG_20170805_104131.jpg
IMG_20170805_104255.jpg
IMG_20170805_104533.jpg
IMG_20170805_104146.jpg
IMG_20170805_104227.jpg
IMG_20170805_104514.jpg
IMG_20170805_104522.jpg

Aug 5, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 14
Awesome! Yeah, that shape makes things easier for pad rolling.

I get a kick out of all the ways people get my user name wrong. This is the first time someone's called me Music Alchemy. (Though I did think of that phrase myself before.) haha

I've been curious about the SR-5 for awhile now. I've only owned the SR-L300, SR-207, SR-Lambda, and SR-30 so far.

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #8 of 14
Oh Crap....yes my bad. Music Alchemist is much better.

My path to STAX was the 207s by way of the 2170 system. Sold it and now use the 304s, the 507s w the SRM-1 MK-2 and the 323 amp at times. Just fell in love with electrostatic sound and never looked back.

Now looking to hear more of the vintage STAX and started w the SR-5. It's quite rewarding. Such great sound for so little money.

Aug 5, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 14
My path to STAX was the 207s by way of the 2170 system. Sold it and now use the 304s, the 507s w the SRM-1 MK-2 and the 323 amp at times. Just fell in love with electrostatic sound and never looked back.

Now looking to hear more of the vintage STAX and started w the SR-5. It's quite rewarding. Such great sound for so little money.

Yeah, the SR-207 is the perfect introduction to the electrostatic sound. (I think the new SR-L300 sounds like a cross between a 'stat and dynamic, with a more solid and focused sound.) It's too bad the price got jacked up once it was discontinued. I'm also one of those people who prefer electrostats over everything else regardless of price. The SR-Lambda and SR-30 also have a unique sound that's worth checking out if you're into collecting.

Aug 5, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 14
Interesting about the sr-30. The original lambda for sure is in my list. I've not heard the new L series. I'm most curious about the L700, but I'm going to wait for used prices to come down a couple hundred more before making that purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back