Stax SR-34 impressions?
Oct 12, 2004 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bln

Headphoneus Supremus
I just bought a Stax SR-34 off Audiogon for $90.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....oni&1102735111

Kind of an impulse purchase, but I'm without cans at the moment and can afford to experiment for $90. I've read the limited impressions from past users on Head-fi, but if anyone else has thoughts I'd like to hear them.

About the amp: I have to hook the Stax adapter up to my speaker amp? My amp has terminals for two pairs of speakers, A and B. B is currently not in use. If I hoop the Stax amp up to B, will it interfere with my speaker listening at all?

Oct 12, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 7
i bought mine for 55 bucks
they're pretty great.

they were my first real cans.

they have great clarity (though my opinion of them is based on some inexperienced ears), very detailed, not very musical, not much bass at all.

they're not electrostatic either. their electret (whatever the hell that means)

there's a switch on the amp so you it won't bother your speakers

cheers!

Oct 12, 2004 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
Think they'll best a Grado SR-60?

I have used both for quite some time. To me they have very different sounds, and are different in their characteristics. The SR-34 is an excellent entry into the wonderful electrostatics sound of Stax, it cannot match up with the higher end models, but when driven with a good amp, it still has that wonderful transparency and relaxed effortless feel. I use one in my office for listening to classical musics. The SR-60 is much easier to drive and it has more punch for rock music. Both are top choices for low-cost headphones.

Enjoy,
W

Oct 12, 2004 at 7:26 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
i bought mine for 55 bucks
they have great clarity (though my opinion of them is based on some inexperienced ears), very detailed, not very musical, not much bass at all.

That is a fairly good description of the sound. I listen to a lot of classical chamber music with it in my office, an excellent match for that purpose. It is not as comfortable, but I find it more comfortable than the SR-60.

Cheers,
W

Oct 12, 2004 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks Wilson. My broken SR-60 will be replaced a little after I receive the Stax headphones, I'm looking forward to comparing the two. I can envision keeping both and choosing between them based on the type of sound I'm looking for on a particular night.

Oct 12, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
they're not electrostatic either. their electret (whatever the hell that means)

Well, with electret condenser microphones, it means that the mic is charged with a polarizing voltage at the factory, rather than getting it from the (phantom) power it uses (I think). The only problem with this is that the charge fades over time, so the mics actually stop working after a while, although this can take many years.

I'm not sure if any of this applies for these headphones, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back