Stax SR-303
Feb 11, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoliloCey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised you didn't bite back at my k1000 remark mathis
tongue.gif

Well, I did catch it but moved on.
Sometimes its just smarter to ignore and move on. I know what the K1000 is capable of, and hence don't always need to fight for its right..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashirgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I meant to say that SR-303 is overpriced, considering the technology behind it. It is very possible that many people like its sound. I am astonished how it can reproduce some certain things (Norah Jones, DMB, jazz).

(singing something), Ash

Please give us a break!
Point us to a different 'phone which give us equal amount of sound quality for the same money ($350 new).

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, but I found one cheaper with the same sound quality: The KSC75 for $15.

your joking right?
the little koss are good and even share some quality of open area sound. they are not stax good. i only have the original lambda and they are the phones i reach for most often.

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #19 of 40
^ O... my... god...

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ri_toast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
your joking right?
the little koss are good and even share some quality of open area sound. they are not stax good. i only have the original lambda and they are the phones i reach for most often.

Eh, imo its pretty subjective past the point of $10 'phones. I'm pretty sure I'd hate any SR-007 setup.

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #22 of 40
I'm pretty sure you would love it, and someday you will buy it
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #24 of 40
So many things to refute, and I suspect I could be feeding the troll, but here goes anyway....
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashirgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I did not have these words of discouragement for you to write...

At first: look how are they built. Lots of obviously cheap plastics (it is my assumption, but that material does look cheap), OFC cable (common with numerous models of headphones), straightforward and simple construction of transducer (you may find some DIY projects of electrostatic headphones and all the authors say "it is cheap and very easy to make").
What's wrong with plastic - their products have very long lifetimes.

Furthermore: Stax produces its products for many years and the cost of discovering and designing the technical principles behind these headphones must have returned over that time.
Are you suggesting they should reduce their prices after they have recouped their development costs?

What is more: many a man here around claims that their present amplifier designs are done so as to reduce the cost as far as possible (still preserving the "audiophile" atmosphere, of course).
So not true
And the final straw: even the packaging is cost-effective
biggrin.gif

.....but effective you have to admit!

I know it is a pile of laughingstock so far, but in time you will notice all the weaknesses of their sound
wink.gif

Still waiting to find these "weaknesses" after owning the Lambda Nova Signatures for 13 years (and the plastic looks as new my friends).
The time will reveal what I am not daring to write, for I do not want to ruin my good spirits now (but yet you should know that I strived to like SR-303 and many people share my "doubts").

Fare thee well!

Ash

PS

And there is some scepticism of Stax lovers, fans and generally experts
smily_headphones1.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sta...ummary-355517/

Don't let anyone rain on your parade, Gregg. They are great phones and glad I could help in joining the Stax mafia.

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Not if I am already extremely happy with my K701.

That will last only 2 months, it always does
frown.gif
damn headfi

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So many things to refute, and I suspect I could be feeding the troll, but here goes anyway....

Don't let anyone rain on your parade, Gregg. They are great phones and glad I could help in joining the Stax mafia.

Offcourse I agree with you on every point John, but DON'T FEED THE TROLL!!!!

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #26 of 40
...and please make sure the SRM1 Mk 2 is not on the carpet when on. A Class A amp with the underside ventilation blocked off is a recipe for disaster.

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

I think I hyped them up abit too much, but I'm glad I got these and not the MS-Pro.

I'd like to thank JohnBuchanan, and Webbie64 for the equipment. Both are these people are great, and good people to deal with!

Thanks for the compliment and glad you're enjoying them.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Im sure spritzers knowledge, and beefy.s soldering skills could make a better headphone. I don't doubt that.

And don't forget [AK]Zip. I'd listen to an ESP, and electrostatic equipment, built by him anyday.

Quote:

Quote:

...and please make sure the SRM1 Mk 2 is not on the carpet when on. A Class A amp with the underside ventilation blocked off is a recipe for disaster.

X2

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Sure, but I found one cheaper with the same sound quality: The KSC75 for $15.

You've said some pretty ridiculous things about Stax in past threads, but this comment actually made me laugh out. When can I get tickets for your gig?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've said some pretty ridiculous things about Stax in past threads, but this comment actually made me laugh out. When can I get tickets for your gig?
smily_headphones1.gif

I think they are OK sounding headphones. I don't think my opinions are ridiculous.

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

I think they are OK sounding headphones. I don't think my opinions are ridiculous.

i will say this friend, i don't think there's a better value than the koss. consider i paid 5.88, i went right back and got 3 more. enjoy your akgs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back