• staxsr22.jpg
    staxsr22.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 0
  • staxsr23.jpg
    staxsr23.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #38 of 44
I'm eyeing a pair of SR-1's but the earpads look super beaten up. What material are the pads made out of? Could they be replaced? I have a pair of SR-3's but the SR-1's look very different.
If they're not like the SR-3, I assume you're looking at an earlier set with the wire mesh and smaller earpad mounting plates, like this?

2504437-6098f177-ultra-rare-stax-sr-1-first-electrostatic-headphones.jpg

Original earpads were supposedly some kind of coated foam, have only seen examples in old brochures and photos since they disintegrate due to age. SR-3/5 earpads will go on them, just that they'll be a bit loose. Or your choice of similar looking aftermarket pads of equal or a bit smaller diameter should work fine.

Jun 2, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #39 of 44
If they're not like the SR-3, I assume you're looking at an earlier set with the wire mesh and smaller earpad mounting plates, like this?

2504437-6098f177-ultra-rare-stax-sr-1-first-electrostatic-headphones.jpg

Original earpads were supposedly some kind of coated foam, have only seen examples in old brochures and photos since they disintegrate due to age. SR-3/5 earpads will go on them, just that they'll be a bit loose. Or your choice of similar looking aftermarket pads of equal or a bit smaller diameter should work fine.
Thanks, yeah it looks exactly like the ones you’re showing, I couldn’t tell if the cups were originally foam or plastic or how easily they could be replaced. I’ve replaced my SR-3 pads with 105mm pads, so maybe 100mm pads would fit these well.

Jun 4, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #40 of 44
I'm eyeing a pair of SR-1's but the earpads look super beaten up. What material are the pads made out of? Could they be replaced? I have a pair of SR-3's but the SR-1's look very different.
The original was coated foam, similar to old stress ball before memory foam was mainstream. I'm actually trying to source a company locally in Australia to custom make one for my 2 pairs.

Dec 7, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #41 of 44
Just came across this thread. :) Thought I would share photos of the SR-1 I came across as well. It is amazing that it works nicely.

IMG_1167.jpeg
IMG_1172.jpeg
IMG_1173.jpeg
IMG_1174.jpeg

Dec 31, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #43 of 44
So curiosity got the better of me and I plugged my SR 1 into the normal bias socket of my T1. It's an early (pre 1964) SR 1 with the metal mesh on the inner baffle instead of the later full plastic baffle, so it's most likely a 150V bias phone (I've been using my New SR 3 with the T1 with no humming and that should be 200V bias). Instantly heard a humming noise even with the volume all the way down, but I continued on and fired it up to play a tune for like 30 seconds. Both channels work with no real imbalance, pretty amazing for these 60 year old things (my New SR 3 in comparison starts with a major channel imbalance and takes a while to balance out). No real sound impressions yet with such a short duration and no pads, but just from this short test, it obviously reminds me of the New SR 3.

Obviously, I'm not going to risk the SR 1 further on the T1. I do have an SRD 6 that came with the New SR 3 that I'll try out to drive the SR 1.

Now I just need pads on these classics. I know they are slightly smaller than the SR 3 and later, but SR 3 pads should work. Anyone know where you can still grab SR 3 pads?

Alternatively is there any pad that's closest to the original pads that came on the SR 1? Want to keep it as real as possible here lol

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #44 of 44
so i just took the pads off the new sr 3 (loose as hell but it works) and fired up the srd 6 and gave this thing a bit of listening earlier today

It still hums a bit on the SRD 6 too (not as loud on the T1 though) so not sure what should be used to properly drive these? Maybe a T1W with adjustable bias or one of the third party amps that have adjustable bias like the Analog Squared Paper TUR 06es? In any case I dont have plans to keep this for long but I am just amazed this thing is making sounds still (many of the SR 1s around are the post 1964 200V bias ones).

In terms of sound quality it is probably just OK now and I didn't do direct comparisons with the New SR 3 (because I only got one set of pads right now) but I think the New SR 3 is better from audio memory as it is just a bit clearer and has a bit more highs.

The midrange just sounds right though which more modern post 1995 STAX do not seem to quite get right anymore maybe just because of modern tastes and tunings.

I can see the lineage of STAX coming from this to the New SR 3 to the SR 30 Professional to the SR Ω.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back