STAX SR-1 (Vintage) ' 1st Electrostatic Earspeaker'
Aug 13, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #16 of 44
They very similar.They are like time machine ,you put them on your head and you go back to the sixties :)
Sound is not very good compare to Lambdas.They have poor stereophony compare to later Stax so it is time machine,part of a histry,colectors item more then for listening.
So many years since the was born and drivers still working well.

Impressive that the drivers are still working. That is truly a work of art. I bet you keep them in a glass box. Dust it once in a while. I wonder if you ever try to hunt down the infamous SR-2 ? I heard only a small amount were made and they quickly jump to SR-3 for mass production instead.

I agree that lambdas are on a whole different level. Even the current L700 is a beast on its own and could challenge many other electrostatic headphones today

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #18 of 44
There is very little informations about SR-1 ,and almost nothing about SR-2 ,even nothing in the Stax Histry :
http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/History.html
I think hunt them is almost impossible.
Just wonder are there any of SR-2 still exist

It is true that STAX history is very hard to fully understand. Not much about them except the massive amount of Ear-speakers they release. I notice when I was doing all my articles on them I got lots of inside history of staxs by there ear speaker releases and the process of how they are made. Onces you dive deep into the rabbit hole of "Sigmas" , Alphas , Lambdas etch you get part of the missing piece of staxs history. :)

Back to the SR-2, the only thing about them is that they are impossible to come across. I did saw one in Japan auction one time. I believe 2014.

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #19 of 44
Really? How many have actually heard it? It was pretty rare back in the old days, it must be even rarer now.

I bet out of the "big 3", Original Orpheus, Original Omega and R10 the R10 is most produced. Not many made each year but a production run from 89-02. The only one out of the 3 that I know of that has 3 or 4 driver changes as well. It is the the fact their drivers will most likely wear out before the other 2 that makes them so sought after and plenty and I mean plenty of people have heard them in Japan. Like many great things Sony from yesteryear not many left Japan.

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #20 of 44
I bet out of the "big 3", Original Orpheus, Original Omega and R10 the R10 is most produced. Not many made each year but a production run from 89-02. The only one out of the 3 that I know of that has 3 or 4 driver changes as well. It is the the fact their drivers will most likely wear out before the other 2 that makes them so sought after and plenty and I mean plenty of people have heard them in Japan. Like many great things Sony from yesteryear not many left Japan.

-Orpheus manufacture #300 units. It ended after #300 units

-Sony MDR-R10 manufacture #1300 to 2000. I finally came to the realization that this whole #2000 unit estimate is incorrect . The only recorded R-10 is #1286 or something. Nothing higher. So they probably only did about #1300 units . End of production 1998. Discontinue 2004

-STAX SR-Omega manufacture #542. They went bankrupt afterwards. Started 1993. STAX went bankrupt 1995. End of production. (Check out my article on this. More infor)

Audio Technica L3000 #500 units - Yes these are heavy hitters and easily can challenge legendary headphones. Btw it is a legendary headphone. So it has that going for it :)
Check out my article on it. I think I need to update it. Limited edition started 2003. Ended at #500 units

Grado HP1000 - #1000 - Another heavy hitter - check article

Sony 010 "Qualia" - masterpiece. Try to find one less than $5000.00 (The product line Qualia is epic)
Qualia -camcorders, video processors, Qualia Televisions, projectors, sooo many........

--why the Qualia line was epic, everything was damn expensive ranges from IEM $500 to Qualia 004 video projector $25,000USD. And then Sony released their 3rd legendary headphone Qualia 010

There are about 7 to 10 in total legendary Headphones! So it is the "BIG 7". NOT THE BIG 3. Just saying.

In my profile I listed pretty much what are the 10 top legendary headphones of all time..... it is definitely not 3 !

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #21 of 44
[Not related]

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #22 of 44
Just have to plant some flag here, since I'm a happy camper with a late SR-1 unit, bought from @DolphinG
Extension is so-so, as well as details / impact, but hey, everything's you're expected from a good stat is already there. Impressive to say the least, as those babies are more than 55 years old...

Ali

Oct 6, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #23 of 44
Just have to plant some flag here, since I'm a happy camper with a late SR-1 unit, bought from @DolphinG
Extension is so-so, as well as details / impact, but hey, everything's you're expected from a good stat is already there. Impressive to say the least, as those babies are more than 55 years old...

Ali

I just updated this page. Long over due.

BTW hows the ear-pads? You replace them? or still using the original? Is it leather ? Any closed pictures of it? Also is it removable?

Where will you put them in order of tonality? lambda series? order versions or newer?

What amp are you using it with? dose it need power? hows it with the BHSE? Notice you have one?

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #24 of 44
I just updated this page. Long over due.

BTW hows the ear-pads? You replace them? or still using the original? Is it leather ? Any closed pictures of it? Also is it removable?

Where will you put them in order of tonality? lambda series? order versions or newer?

What amp are you using it with? dose it need power? hows it with the BHSE? Notice you have one?

on the subject of old stax, i just got a box of items pushing 50: the 1971 New SR-3, a pair of SR-5, and also SRX-Mk3.

it's been a fun couple of days listening, but the sound of all of these has been discussed all over the web, and i really came here to say two things about these headphones that i haven't read elsewhere:

1. if you're wishing you could play stax at work, but don't want the sound disturbing your work friends--good news. all three of these earspeakers are BARELY audible to the outside world...they're not like Lambdas at all in that sense. they sound like closed cans, so you really can play them at work, unless you work in a church.

2. the other thing is about SRD adapters. i was listening to these with the SRD-6, and feeling rather disappointed with the sr-3 and 5, hearing glare and muddle. I changed to a rusty but functioning SRD-7 normal bias adaptor, and the sound is 90% better! I haven't seen anybody talk about the sounds of the different adapters, but it's obvious just from hefting them that the 7 has much larger transformers than the 6, and iperhaps the cores on the 6 tend to saturate.

anyway the sr-3 was on my head all day today (that nice split swivelling headband helps) and i've taken the fostex home and put it in the closet...this isn't lambda world, but it's quite a sound for very little money plus an old NAD 3020 amp to drive them...! (i know...can't have spritzer-level sound when you've got no cash, but at least i'm getting my dynaco amp fixed to pair with the lambda pros at home..)

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #25 of 44
on the subject of old stax, i just got a box of items pushing 50: the 1971 New SR-3, a pair of SR-5, and also SRX-Mk3.

it's been a fun couple of days listening, but the sound of all of these has been discussed all over the web, and i really came here to say two things about these headphones that i haven't read elsewhere:

1. if you're wishing you could play stax at work, but don't want the sound disturbing your work friends--good news. all three of these earspeakers are BARELY audible to the outside world...they're not like Lambdas at all in that sense. they sound like closed cans, so you really can play them at work, unless you work in a church.

2. the other thing is about SRD adapters. i was listening to these with the SRD-6, and feeling rather disappointed with the sr-3 and 5, hearing glare and muddle. I changed to a rusty but functioning SRD-7 normal bias adaptor, and the sound is 90% better! I haven't seen anybody talk about the sounds of the different adapters, but it's obvious just from hefting them that the 7 has much larger transformers than the 6, and iperhaps the cores on the 6 tend to saturate.

anyway the sr-3 was on my head all day today (that nice split swivelling headband helps) and i've taken the fostex home and put it in the closet...this isn't lambda world, but it's quite a sound for very little money plus an old NAD 3020 amp to drive them...! (i know...can't have spritzer-level sound when you've got no cash, but at least i'm getting my dynaco amp fixed to pair with the lambda pros at home..)
The SRD-6 and any energizer that old will sound like trash. All the capacitor would have leaked and would need to be replaced.

Jun 28, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #26 of 44
It is true that STAX history is very hard to fully understand. Not much about them except the massive amount of Ear-speakers they release. I notice when I was doing all my articles on them I got lots of inside history of staxs by there ear speaker releases and the process of how they are made. Onces you dive deep into the rabbit hole of "Sigmas" , Alphas , Lambdas etch you get part of the missing piece of staxs history. :)

Back to the SR-2, the only thing about them is that they are impossible to come across. I did saw one in Japan auction one time. I believe 2014.
Im gonna necro this I own a pair of sr-2's and they sound a little different than my sr-3's

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #27 of 44
Im gonna necro this I own a pair of sr-2's and they sound a little different than my sr-3's
You got to post some pictures of this hidden gem 💎 Full 4K shots 😀

For posterity of course. 😀

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #29 of 44
@c12Windfury

Under the reply/comment box there should be a "Attach file" box. Click it, and find file and post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back