Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem?
Apr 21, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #226 of 928
I meant testing as a set. If the 727 amp truly has such difference in output it should show right up in the SPL data. At least for the SR009, you can pretty much get repeatibility within half a dB if you don't reseat the phone between measurements...

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #228 of 928
Quote:
Sad to report my SR-009 have developed this imbalance.  Been getting worse for 2 months, now R is -7dB.  SN 1773.  Will keep you posted.

They are packed up & on the way to Accutech now.  Contemplating weeks without the SR-009 is making me appreciate just how good the SR-202's really are.  The damn things that got me into Staxology in the first place.  Get SRS-2020 casually bundled with a Smyth Realiser, next thing you know you have a BHSE on order..... 

The SR-009's measured on sine wave were finally -19dBA R-L at 200Hz rising to -24dBA at 12kHz.  I wish we were closer to understanding this.  The only time I've had anything remotely similar is on full-range DIY 'stat speakers when the film tension/spacer distance allowed the diaphragm to attach itself to stators with coating that hadn't cured properly (sticky). I can't buy the dust angle.  They would have to be assembled in a coal shed for that.

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #229 of 928
I hate to be the one to dig up this particular old thread, but I am experiencing some imbalance in my recently received 009's. I was good for about the first week and then I noticed the drop on one side.  No distortion that I can notice.

I've done the basics; swapped amps, compared to another headphones, unplugged and touched the pins... I've got them playing from a SS amp now so I'll let them go for an extended time to see if anything gets better or worse.

C'est la vie!  One way or another I'll get them right.

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #230 of 928
Sorry to hear that, just hopw my sent dont go the same way
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
I hate to be the one to dig up this particular old thread, but I am experiencing some imbalance in my recently received 009's. I was good for about the first week and then I noticed the drop on one side.  No distortion that I can notice.

I've done the basics; swapped amps, compared to another headphones, unplugged and touched the pins... I've got them playing from a SS amp now so I'll let them go for an extended time to see if anything gets better or worse.

Jun 28, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #231 of 928
Quote:

Accutech didn't repair mine, they replaced them with a pair sent directly from Japan.  I now have SZ9-2075, 302 units further along than what I sent them (bought in October last year).  They look & feel new and these appear to be OK.  Fingers crossed.  

If you suspect you have this problem, measure it at the earcups with a cheap mic.  No amount of changing amps, charging, discharging changed mine.  It was obvious after a month and just got worse.  I waited too long.  It does appear that you either get this issue, or you don't.  

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #233 of 928
Quote:

That's bad news.
I've got mine for 2 weeks and, finger crossed, they are fine. Going back to anything different from the 009 would be awful.

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #239 of 928
I've got a small imbalance on my SR-009...bu it seems to come from my SRM-727II.
The two parts of the volume knob are ok (first thing I've checked), but there is no imbalance when plugging my SR-009 on a SRD-7 (normal bias).
More precisely : it's not a volume imbalance, but a slight lack of treble on the left side when plugged on the SRM-727II
Known issue ?

Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back