Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem?
Jun 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #196 of 928
after i got the haedphone back from the first repair i tried testing it for a longer time.
when the 009 looses the right channel as a result of hearing a lot of music, the headphone recovers slowly after a week not using it.
why this happens--i dont know.
then i started a new stresstest to see how it will develop and let it rest for a week again.

as i was 100% shure that the 009 will always behave the same way, we send it in for a new repair-service. 
but inbetween i got my new motorcycle and a longer vacation and, and .....  so it took some time. 

in fact, the second service ended with a new headphone but no comment from the repaircenter.
for now everything seems to be ok. 15 hours of burn-in and no imbalance occurred.

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #197 of 928
Has anyone else gotten this channel imbalance lately?

I purchased my pair approximately 2 weeks ago. I am getting the same issue described here. The R channel is about 25% softer than the L channel (I used the digital balance EQ on my PC). Even if I use the dual volume knob on the SRM-323S to balance the volume between the channels, the R channel sounds flatter and has less details.
Discharging the pins against my hand has no effect.

I've tried
(1) different sources
(2) swapped channels on my RCA cables and
(3) compared a SR-407 plugged in to the same SRM-323S at the same time and ruled out everything else.

I started noticing this problem earlier this week and packed them up and put them away for a few days. When I took them out for another listen it took about 10 minutes for the problem to show up.

It looks like it is the SR-009. I will be taking my pair in for repair this weekend.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #198 of 928
Quote:
Has anyone else gotten this channel imbalance lately?

I purchased my pair approximately 2 weeks ago. I am getting the same issue described here. The R channel is about 25% softer than the L channel (I used the digital balance EQ on my PC). Even if I use the dual volume knob on the SRM-323S to balance the volume between the channels, the R channel sounds flatter and has less details.
Discharging the pins against my hand has no effect.

I've tried
(1) different sources
(2) swapped channels on my RCA cables and
(3) compared a SR-407 plugged in to the same SRM-323S at the same time and ruled out everything else.

I started noticing this problem earlier this week and packed them up and put them away for a few days. When I took them out for another listen it took about 10 minutes for the problem to show up.

It looks like it is the SR-009. I will be taking my pair in for repair this weekend.

Disturbing to hear they're still having problems with the 009
triportsad.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #199 of 928
Hmmm, I hope this won't happen with my new SR-009's with serial 190X :frowning2:

Oh, and just ftr, I also have the 323S, everything sounds fine and no need to adjust balance on it yet...
Only had 2x 5h listening sessions with them yet tho...

Edit: amp & serial

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #200 of 928
My serial is 190x as well. I dropped it off for repair last weekend.

I am really surprised that there is still a channel imbalance issue. I drove myself nearly crazy testing and retesting to find that indeed there was an imbalance issue present.

They said the replacement/repair unit would be burned in for 2 weeks straight. I'll update when I get them back.
I hope you don't have any problems with yours CybDev. They are nothing short of amazing.

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #201 of 928
My serial is 190x as well. I dropped it off for repair last weekend.

I am really surprised that there is still a channel imbalance issue. I drove myself nearly crazy testing and retesting to find that indeed there was an imbalance issue present.

They said the replacement/repair unit would be burned in for 2 weeks straight. I'll update when I get them back.
I hope you don't have any problems with yours CybDev. They are nothing short of amazing.

This is not good news :frowning2:

How long did you have it before you started noticing problems?

I got mine on monday this week... :-/

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #202 of 928
Quote:
This is not good news :frowning2:

How long did you have it before you started noticing problems?

I got mine on monday this week... :-/

Apologies, I just double checked and mine is 191x. I do not mean to worry you.

I started noticing it after approximately 1 week. It was quite obvious after adjusting the digital EQ on my PC. It would start after listening for about 10 minutes. Flipping the headphones backwards (L->R and R->L) after listening for a few minutes and letting my ears adjust made it even more obvious.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #203 of 928
Very odd - our group buy from the second batch was flawless, none of our 15 people had any imbalance issue.  So sorry to hear this happened to you :frowning2: 

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #204 of 928
Apologies, I just double checked and mine is 191x. I do not mean to worry you.

I started noticing it after approximately 1 week. It was quite obvious after adjusting the digital EQ on my PC. It would start after listening for about 10 minutes. Flipping the headphones backwards (L->R and R->L) after listening for a few minutes and letting my ears adjust made it even more obvious.

Doesn't really make me feel much better, assuming the serials are sequential this just indicates the problem still has not been fixed...

Very odd - our group buy from the second batch was flawless, none of our 15 people had any imbalance issue.  So sorry to hear this happened to you :frowning2: 

Ah, this on the other hand is good news :)

--

I'm curious why this seems to happen to a few people, and still keeps happening to them after they get replacements/fixes...

Is there any difference in how you store the cans when not in use perhaps?

Environmental differences?

I hear electrostats do not like dust or humidity, but I'm assuming if you drop $5000 on a pair of headphones you're probably treating them rather carefully too...

I don't yet have a stand for mine, but I assume they won't take damage of laying next to my amp..

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #207 of 928
Quote:
Ok - this thread is very very helpful - NO Stax 009 for me. I'd go bizerk if I spent 7k$ (or more) for the setup and I'd have any problems. Thanks, but no, thanks,

Ignorance is bliss, so good for you I'd say :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back