Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem?
Jun 25, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #136 of 928
Apart from the bad bias connection Spritzer mentioned to be the problem,
and the less tension Wachara mentioned, there could also happen the following scenario:

The Sr009 collects dust (maybe more than usual, maybe just when it's new)
that forms an electrical connection between the diaphragm and the electrode(s)
through the wetness when wearing it. The diaphragm gets partially unloaded
at thereby behaves in the opposite way as normally, so the SPL decreases
and the diaphragm could even bounce/stick at the stator (maybe polarized).

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #138 of 928
Probably just some parasitic charges on the diaphragm
are responsibel for this seeming dismishing failure,
by shielding the bias loads, so that the SPL decreases,
effectively reducing the bias voltage (?), so that the diaphragm
could bounce against a stator, maybe even stick,
and binding some dust in the driver.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #140 of 928
i received my sr-009  1429 on the 31. dec 2011.
it sounds already great-----but after some days of burning in the left side is a little bit louder!
i have also a omega 2 and a 4040 lambda signature without this problem.
i switched  a lot between the headphones, software....to be shure that its the 009 and no other possibility of failure.
i probably give him a little more time - but if nothing change ill send it back.
frown.gif

Jan 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #142 of 928
Since you just got them I'd chalk this up to shipping issues.  Stax phones have been known to have channel imbalance issues after shipping.  It's rare but frequent temperature changes aren't a good thing for those large metal stators. 

Jan 7, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #145 of 928
Judging by the date of the penultimate post, is it correct to assume that the problems have been solved for good couple months ago? I am asking because I am just about to order the 009 in a week or so, probably from Price Japan.
Thanks.

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #146 of 928
my sr-009 sn: 1429 is brand new. i buy in germany where i live. my dealer told me that the new german distibutor ordered the last 009 with airmail for quick delivery. the imbalance gets worse the longer i use the 009.

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #147 of 928

Quote:
my sr-009 sn: 1429 is brand new. i buy in germany where i live. my dealer told me that the new german distibutor ordered the last 009 with airmail for quick delivery. the imbalance gets worse the longer i use the 009.

I am not quite sure what you mean: are you really saying that the more you listen to your 009 the worse it becomes? If so, what are you going to do? Have you spoken to your distributor about that? Also, just out of curiosity, which amp are you using to power them?

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #148 of 928
i really dont know how the 009 develop in future. the 009 has no distortion on the right driver. there is just a imbalance in loudness between the driver.
i think for a week or so, i will test every day if there is some change.
i use the stax SRM 006t2 amp. 
the amp works fine for the omega2 and the 4040 signature. i know that there will be better amplification solutions out there, but this will be the last step and a blue hawaii or woo audio wes is not so easy to find in germany. i bought so many things, peolpe told how great they sound. for the amp, i would like to hear it first before i buy!
and yes i spoke to my distributor and and the sr-009 will be sent back to japan for a fix or change.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #149 of 928

Quote:
i use the stax SRM 006t2 amp. 
the amp works fine for the omega2 and the 4040 signature. i know that there will be better amplification solutions out there, but this will be the last step and a blue hawaii or woo audio wes is not so easy to find in germany.

In the meantime, get yourself a pair of high quality NOS tubes (e.g. mid/late 50's RCA clear tops).   Modest cost and money well spent.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #150 of 928
Sounds like they needed to be sent in. Best of luck. Keep us posted on what happens!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back