Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem?
Mar 3, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #901 of 928
Hello Andre,

in my expereince you have a defective driver. Probably because of dust inside the driver wich could be the reason why you hear the "white noise". This is often due to very fastly repeated arcing. After a while this can burn holes into the membrane. I would recommend to stop using the 009. How long is your guarantee? In Europe we get 24 months. So you'd be covered and get repair for free. Don't know how this is in America.

I don't think that a dustcover would have prevented your 009 from developing this problem. I rather think this is a problem of quality control in the factory or problems with the coating process. Very annoying. I would get in contact with Woo Audio and ask what you can do.
Regards Julez

Hi All,

Working with Woo, they had me switch the top tubes (left two tubes are now the right two tubes, etc.)....

It looks like the EL34 tube for the right headphone are an issue. I'll order a new set of 4 and hopefully all will be well! I'll keep you posted.

Andre

Mar 7, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #902 of 928
Hi All,

Working with Woo, they had me switch the top tubes (left two tubes are now the right two tubes, etc.)....

It looks like the EL34 tube for the right headphone are an issue. I'll order a new set of 4 and hopefully all will be well! I'll keep you posted.

Andre
Problem Solved! It was the EL34 tubes (they wear out) on the Woo WES. Woo provided very good help with troubleshooting and suggested an awesome replacement to their stock EL34 tubes. The new PSVANE tubes provide a new experience. They make the SR-009 not as bright and they seem to show more nuances. Long story short.....the STAX SR009 were not to blame!

Dec 29, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #905 of 928
I created a new thread about a fix I did on an SR-009 with a bad channel imbalance (thanks to spritzer for moral support and advice) which turned out to be just a wiring fault... it may help anyone suffering channel imbalance if it's not a coating/membrane problem...
Same thing happened to my pair—channel imbalance caused by a tiny disconnected wire between the headphone cable and the driver. Disassembly and re-soldering fixed it. It’s been two years—I’d forgotten how much I liked the SR-009!

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #906 of 928
A few people have PM'ed me about disassembly instructions to get to the disconnected wires. FIRST, DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE NO RECOURSE—my SR-009 pair were completely useless, so there was no harm to disassembly. SECOND, YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK—PLEASE DON'T BLAME ME IF YOU DAMAGE YOUR HEADPHONES.

First step is to pull out the inner liner to expose the screws. Try your best not to put a fold in the hard plastic ring (but doesn't seem to be the end of the world if you do).

1 Remove liner.jpg

If you look under the leather pad, you'll see six screws that attach it. MAKE A NOTE OF THE ORIENTATION OF THE PADS! There is a thick side and thin side to the pads. The thin side with the seam goes forward.

Earcup w:o-ring.jpg

Note that there is an o-ring between the pad and the driver. I would leave the protective screen in place while you check/re-solder there wires. THE MEMBRANE MATERIAL UNDER THE SCREEN IS EXTREMELY FRAGILE—DON'T TOUCH. IT TEARS EASILY. When you reassemble, put it back on the driver, like this:

Outer o-ring.jpg

You can just lift off the Stax - Made in Japan label, and expose the wire cover. Remove the two screws and you can see if all your wires are attached, and solder them if not. Notice that I am not following my own advice and exposed the membrane. Don't do that! Also, don't think about using compressed air to clean off any dust—it will rip the membrane. (For some reason, I'm missing a photo of the exposed wires, sorry.)
Wire cover.jpg

STOP HERE! YOU SHOULD NOT NEED TO DISASSEMBLE FURTHER THAN THIS! CHECK/RE-SOLDER WIRES AND REASSEMBLE.

But if you're crazy and can't resist, remove the four long screws with nylon washer holding the driver and the two screws holding the bottom of the wire harness in place (which I don't recommend).

removing drivers.jpg

And you'll get this:

Complete disassembly.jpg

The outer screen has two o-rings holding it in place. There's a thin one on the outer side, and a thick one between the screen and the driver housing.

Reverse this to reassemble.

Hope this helps. I wrote this from memory, so please comment with refinements/corrections.

Cheers,
muski

Mar 12, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #907 of 928
Whelp, today I put on my SR-009 'phones that I bought from Woo Audio in 2018 to find that my left channel was noticeably lower than the right. I did a full system reset, tried different songs, and even had my wife listen and it's official, the left channel is much less louder than the right.

I've contacted Woo Audio for service as I have no appetite or skill for trying one of the repairs on this thread.

Does anyone have an idea of how long this takes nowadays and the cost?

Also, I've seen some discussion about not using the Stax plastic cover+stand for long term (i.e. over the weekend) storage, instead always keeping them in the box. Any thoughts on this for when they return?

Thanks guys.

Mar 15, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #908 of 928
Whelp, today I put on my SR-009 'phones that I bought from Woo Audio in 2018 to find that my left channel was noticeably lower than the right. I did a full system reset, tried different songs, and even had my wife listen and it's official, the left channel is much less louder than the right.

I've contacted Woo Audio for service as I have no appetite or skill for trying one of the repairs on this thread.

Does anyone have an idea of how long this takes nowadays and the cost?

Also, I've seen some discussion about not using the Stax plastic cover+stand for long term (i.e. over the weekend) storage, instead always keeping them in the box. Any thoughts on this for when they return?

Thanks guys.

Hey sinkr,

What kind of amp do you have? If it's a tube amp, switch the tubes from left to right and see if the issue follows the tubes.

Andre

Mar 17, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #910 of 928
I was able to get a quote from STAX Japan for the replacement of the drivers in my 009 headphones at $1080.00 USD.

Given that I could find no historical data on driver repair costs, I hope this info will be of use in the future.

While I’m a little miffed at Woo not being able to give me even a broad range, I was quickly reminded that it could be worse when I contacted Headamp and asked about buying a pair of 009S within the context of future service needs. They simply didn’t respond, so kudos to Woo for sticking with this sale 2 years later.

Finally, I’ll leave off here and posit that Woo, et al. probably sell STAX sometimes grudgingly to support their energizer side of the business (which certainly has a better profit margin than selling headphones), because the bottom of the STAX RMA says this:

Last but not least, we do recommend our STAX customer to use STAX driver to drive STAX headphone which is more safe. We have a lot of cases the headphone is blown off by other driver with a relatively high output.

Mar 17, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #911 of 928
I was able to get a quote from STAX Japan for the replacement of the drivers in my 009 headphones at $1080.00 USD.
STAX RMA says

If i may enquire further (and assuming you could be so kind), is that the total cost? Work/manhours included? And how about shipping?

As to their RMA form, it makes sense they would say that, but with full confidence, 101%, i can tell you that nothing Birgir/Gilmore make will ever harm your phones. In as far as the electret itself may be concerned, you buy from them with full, utter confidence. There are steps to take, so as to protect it from certain scenarios and i can attest to their having taking them all.

On the contrary, there are other companies that have had certain, err, mishaps with their amps ^^

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #912 of 928
If i may enquire further (and assuming you could be so kind), is that the total cost? Work/manhours included? And how about shipping?

As to their RMA form, it makes sense they would say that, but with full confidence, 101%, i can tell you that nothing Birgir/Gilmore make will ever harm your phones. In as far as the electret itself may be concerned, you buy from them with full, utter confidence. There are steps to take, so as to protect it from certain scenarios and i can attest to their having taking them all.

On the contrary, there are other companies that have had certain, err, mishaps with their amps ^^

The 1080 includes labor, but they caveat it with it might change. Unsure if return shipping is included, but you gotta pay to get it to Woo who will ship to Japan, for instance. Other retailers shipping assistance may vary or be nonexistent like Headamp’s reply to me on the issue.

Jun 1, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #915 of 928
Curious did you get your 009 back?
As much as I am annoyed by Stax's ridiculous attitude toward repairing given it is a wide spread issue, I really miss the sound.

I actually never sent them off. I traded a few emails with Spritzer, who made my energizer, and he gave me the suggestion to disconnect them, touch all the contacts of the connector and to "smack" the affected side and the sound came back to normal.

He did, however, recommend the ESLab ES1a and I bought a pair of those. I don't have the vocabulary for a real review, but suffice it to say that I am happy with what I hear and am glad to not be dependent on Stax alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back