Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem?
Nov 27, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #646 of 928
  Thank you for your reply AnakChan.  Much appreciated. 

The BHSE disappointment I have is in the BHSE thread / posts.  

The Owner of the BHSE feels fine as he said in his rig at home (he has a Nagra single ended DAC) his BHSE sounds amazing even through his Stax 007's.   He does listen at very low volume levels though (max 25 to 30%) as opposed to me which is anything from 35% upwards depending on the genre of music etc.   For me to get anything out of his BHSE in balanced mode the volume had to be turned up 60% plus and for single RCA input (we tried both through my QBD76 DAC which gives ample 6V output) I had to turn up the volume to 100% to get any respectable sound level and to be loud enough to hear some detail. !  

Wow, any idea how loud that is in decibels? You may want to consider listening at lower levels, not sure how loud the BHSE goes with the 009, but I imagine that full volume would be very loud. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #647 of 928
 For me to get anything out of his BHSE in balanced mode the volume had to be turned up 60% plus and for single RCA input (we tried both through my QBD76 DAC which gives ample 6V output) I had to turn up the volume to 100% to get any respectable sound level and to be loud enough to hear some detail. !  

There's got to be something very wrong with either the source or the cables used if the BHSE is fine in the owners home. Last case here, the SR009 got shipped twice to Stax, 2nd time no repair as it turns out the amp was faulty. In your case, are you 100% sure it's not one of your ICs that is busted or the DAC that's problematic? It's pretty disappointing when it goes back to Stax just to find out the SR009 was fine all along.

cheers,
arnaud

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #648 of 928
  Wow, any idea how loud that is in decibels? You may want to consider listening at lower levels, not sure how loud the BHSE goes with the 009, but I imagine that full volume would be very loud. 

:)  

No it wasn't very loud at all hence me having to turn the volume pot up on the BHSE to max with single RCA input to get any respectable sound volume so I could hear the music properly !  

Put it this way it was so low a sound level I could still hear things in the room I was listening in ! 

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #649 of 928

No it wasn't very loud at all hence me having to turn the volume pot up on the BHSE to max with single RCA input to get any respectable sound volume so I could hear the music properly !  

Put it this way it was so low a sound level I could still hear things in the room I was listening in ! 

Could it be possible that you are used to listening at very high volumes? 

Have you been to any meets and compared how loud you were listening to music to others? I try to keep my listening under 80 db to protect my ears. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #650 of 928
Actually, was the SR009 fine before you played it through the BHSE? I wonder if something seriously wrong with the amp (owner not realising it as he can accommodate low SPL out) and your SR009 suffered permanent damage. When inserting bad tubes in a BHSE, there can be nasty surprises I recall reading.

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #651 of 928

There's got to be something very wrong with either the source or the cables used if the BHSE is fine in the owners home. Last case here, the SR009 got shipped twice to Stax, 2nd time no repair as it turns out the amp was faulty. In your case, are you 100% sure it's not one of your ICs that is busted or the DAC that's problematic? It's pretty disappointing when it goes back to Stax just to find out the SR009 was fine all along.

cheers,
arnaud

Hi arnaud,
Thank you for your post and pointers.  Much appreciated.

Im sure the source (QBD76 DAC) and interconnecting cables are fine as I have them also linked to my Woo Audio dynamic headphone rigs and they don't give me this problem.   

The 009's are connected to my Woo Wee and Chord Cyan Click Integrated amp.

Just in case I will send my DAC back to Chord Electronics next week to check it's performance and will try different interconnects as well just in case before I send the 009's back to be checked. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #652 of 928

For sure something was wrong somewhere, and I doubt it was the BHSE as the owner said when he got it home it was back to normal.

As a reference, my DAC is 7.5v (balanced), and if I get the volume to 10:00 o'clock it's very loud. RCA is 3.6v, and 11:00 o'clock is probably too loud.

I thought he also mentioned there was a DYI receptacle used - did you ever check to make sure it was wired correctly?

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #653 of 928
  For sure something was wrong somewhere, and I doubt it was the BHSE as the owner said when he got it home it was back to normal.

As a reference, my DAC is 7.5v (balanced), and if I get the volume to 10:00 o'clock it's very loud. RCA is 3.6v, and 11:00 o'clock is probably too loud.

I thought he also mentioned there was a DYI receptacle used - did you ever check to make sure it was wired correctly?

Hi Golfnutz,
The DIY receptacle was only an extension lead.   Nothing wrong with it i.e. it gives a power supply to items plugged into it.   It was a cheap extension but don't think it has contributed to such a bad sound as my Chord Cyan Click integrated amp and Woo Wee have been connected to it as well as a more upmarket extension lead and no difference in sound quality !

MY QBD76 DAC output is 6V so from you 7.5V would expect by 11 O'Clock it would also be more than loud enough not 2 to 5 O'Clock ! 

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #654 of 928

This is all I had to read to know something was wrong...

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #655 of 928
  Hi arnaud,
Thank you for your post and pointers.  Much appreciated.

Im sure the source (QBD76 DAC) and interconnecting cables are fine as I have them also linked to my Woo Audio dynamic headphone rigs and they don't give me this problem.   

The 009's are connected to my Woo Wee and Chord Cyan Click Integrated amp.

Just in case I will send my DAC back to Chord Electronics next week to check it's performance and will try different interconnects as well just in case before I send the 009's back to be checked. 

Have you tried the woo-wee on a different power amplifier as on certain types there can be problems due to the internal wiring of the wee
All the black speaker posts are tied together on the wee and in a bridged amp this will cause problems

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #656 of 928

Have you tried the woo-wee on a different power amplifier as on certain types there can be problems due to the internal wiring of the wee
All the black speaker posts are tied together on the wee and in a bridged amp this will cause problems

Hi Complin,
Thank you for your post. 

My Chord Cyan Click integrated amp is not bridged / mono block amplifier.  

The buzzing issue I had seems to have disappeared when I was playing music weekend gone.   I hadn't used my 009's and Woo WEE over Xmas and New year as was back at my home in Spain.  

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #658 of 928
  It seems like a huge problem now. Is it the problem built in the headphone?

Ehh? If you mean the imbalance, I have read / know of less than 8 separate buyers who have experienced this issue. If it happens it is in the first few weeks of ownership and the dealer would replace the headphone. I would suggest you don't post inflammatory  assumptions here as if the 009 is flawed on a grand scale....

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #659 of 928
  Ehh? If you mean the imbalance, I have read / know of less than 8 separate buyers who have experienced this issue. If it happens it is in the first few weeks of ownership and the dealer would replace the headphone. I would suggest you don't post inflammatory  assumptions here as if the 009 is flawed on a grand scale....

Three plus years of complaints in this forum.  Sure sounds like a manufacturing/design defect to me.

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #660 of 928
I agree with astrostar59... I followed this thread during the last years. After all, there's really no hint of a manufacturing/design defect. To conclude such a thing, solely based on the age of the thread is surely not correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back