Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem?
Jul 12, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #436 of 928
I agree David. I have had Stax for years,and had no problems so far. The Abyss is a bit unproved. Ok cable company, but so what. This foray into highest headphones could be a risk. I would not being a bit of a worrier, spend hard earned wads of cash on it. it also lucks butt ugly. Sorry to Abyss owners, but hey, even Skoda car look good nowaday!

I can't say as regards the LCDs or HD800s or other good quality alternatives. I did hear the HD800s briefly at a hifi show and was not impressed at all.

I know many have said it before, then started again, but I have stopped looking now. My 009s and my (recent) KGSShv with NOS DAC is cheer heaven. I can't imagine better.
Or until I hear the 0011's ha ha!! Lets hope if they ever surface, they don't look like the back end of a donkey.

http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/cool.gif

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #437 of 928
Hi Complin
Great point that - scaling

So for me a very, very hard act to follow and they scale extremely well with better amplification and source, I don't find this to be the case with the majority of alternatives, which is why most of my collection of headphones are stats

I notice with the 009s a similar trait but with different tracks. For example, if the track or studio engineer has mixed it will a lot of bass energy, you get that - lots of bass yet controlled and fast.
If the recording is light and delicate with lots of decay, you get right up close to it and hear everything.

Thus, the difference between tracks and mixes, microphone placement and studio acoustics is expanded for all types of recording.
I think this is a true test of a great transducer and amp. I think inner Fidelity called the 009 a chameleon, and that is correct. It is not one note bass heavy,
or everything is bright and 'hifi' sounding.

I am speaking about what I hear with my KGSShv driving the 009s. When I had the 717 amp it was brighter on everything and thin and cold sounding.

I guess no headphone is perfect, but 'maybe' hardened collector have started that hobby with various phones doing this right or that. Could it finally be
the 009s does it all well? I think it may be close to that IMO. But after spending all this money on headphone systems, I am glad it has got this far.

Going back to scale, I wonder if the 009s have even more left? I can't say if the KGSShv or BHSE is taking them to the limit? Not unless I hear the T2 I guess.
But at least my electric meter isn't spinning like a top with the T2!

Jul 12, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #438 of 928
I said I wouldn't knock the Abyss's looks anymore but I just can't help it.
IMO, WHY can't headphone designers, design a headphone to look similar to the HE-90.
For me the perfect looking headphone would be a HE-90 but with the headband made of carbon fibre and the wood on the ear pieces being Amboyna Burl.

Regarding someone like myself being so bothered about the looks of headphones and audio equipment, someone wrote a post saying if those that won't listen to a headphone because of it's looks, then they're not true headphone listeners.
I guess I'm not a true headphone listener.

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #441 of 928
  My new PJ sourced SR-009 landed early this week. Running them in, at about 40 hours now. They're sounding simply sublime out of a Mjolnir Audio KGSShv and fully Modwright'd Denon 3910 (my "simple" system alternative to the big 2ch setup). Channel balance is absolutely dead-on perfect, and I'm going to remain optimistic on this until proven otherwise.

Hey Mike, I saw your previous post before this was a week earlier. Was that the time it took between ordering and receiving them from PJ? I have been a bit out of the loop, but a couple of years ago I recall the wait being several months.

He doesn't have imbalance issues. He just doesn't yet have an amp to power his 009s yet so doesn't know whether he will encounter any issues.

Right, I probably shouldn't have quoted just his post. The question is open to anyone that has had to get them repaired via PJ/Stax Japan out of warranty.

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #442 of 928
Regarding someone like myself being so bothered about the looks of headphones and audio equipment, someone wrote a post saying if those that won't listen to a headphone because of it's looks, then they're not true headphone listeners.
I guess I'm not a true h
eadphone listener.

No David, you are a true headphone listener. If you used those 009s anymore hours per day, they would merge into your head like Tramps socks (sorry horrid comparison there).

But thing is, SQ is everything yes, but if one is paying 5K US for a headphone, it might as well be well constructed AND nice looking. We could have ugly sports cars that
go just as fast, but would you like driving around in some freak car?

Seriously, big money products should be both great sounding and great looking IMO. The Abyss is like the ugly sister nobody wants to wed! I almost feel sorry for it.....

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #443 of 928

Hey Mike, I saw your previous post before this was a week earlier. Was that the time it took between ordering and receiving them from PJ? I have been a bit out of the loop, but a couple of years ago I recall the wait being several months.

Hey Deepak -- turnaround was extremely quick! Ordered on Monday night (week of the July 4 holiday) and got them the very next Monday (Fedex option). PJ had the "In Stock" banner on their front page next to the SR-009, which also factored into my decision to buy from there.

Jul 12, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #445 of 928
The only time I saw an Abyss, I thought it looked so abysmal that I didn't even want to try it. If someone brings a set to the upcoming Bay Area meet, I'll just keep my eyes closed, try it, and report back about how it sounds. For costing more than (fairly attractive) SR-009s and looking as it does, the Abyss had better sound out-of-this-universe amazing.

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #448 of 928
David 1961

Abyss are ready to listen in very nice place called Hifi Lounge , 139 miles from you.

I believe that's the same place head-fier IanG heard it, but as they look I will never put them on my head.
Anyway, I couldn't be happier with the SQ I'm getting from my 009 / BHSE so I'm not interested in hearing the Abyss.

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #449 of 928
Agree with the others' sentiments on the Abyss -- they're so insanely ugly and expensive that there's just no way. Reminds me a bit of the VPI Direct Drive -- ok, so that table's not quite flat-out ugly, but at $30K it needs to look sweet. Is it really "all about the sound" if it's a $5.5K headphone or a $30K turntable? 

The SR-009 look great; just wish Stax would redesign that ridiculously boxy outer headband (Abyss-like, even) to something more 007-like. 

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #450 of 928
Tell true David you just afraid they will blow away your 009 ,that is why you never put them on your head :)
( just joking )

My friend was there yesterday and he listen Abbys ,009 , Oppo , Audeze and K812.He said to me "after Abyss other headphones sounded bit poor"
I don't know how much right it is because it's not me listened them but It made me to chack flight to Londod for weekend.
I will definitely put them on my head no matter how they look.

David 1961
Do you know is any place around London I can try 009 with BHSE ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back