Stax SR-009 and T2 successors confirmed for spring 2017
Aug 22, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #138 of 256
Sep 2, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #140 of 256
I own a 009 with à 007t2 amp
Bas anyone compared the 009 with the new t8000 and the bleu Hawaï amp ?
Yes I heard the T-8000 and the BHSE on the 009s within 15 minutes of each other at Can-Jam in London a few weeks back. With my 2 test tracks I heard it as follows:

1 BHSE =10 (at Head-Amp stand)
2 T-8000 = 5 (at Symmetry stand)
3 KGSShv Carbon 9.5/10 (my amp)
4. SRM-717 = 4
6. SRM007t = 4

I used to own the 717 and it was a bit more dynamic and better bass than the 007t which I heard alongside it when I bought it. Basically the T-8000 is a micro improvement to the previous Stax amps. The KG amps big jump IMO. I have also heard the BHSE quite a few times previously, 2 of those occasions 1/2 day demo / testing.

Depending on your budgets I would say either order the BHSE and wait, or look for a used KGSShv or Carbon amp, or locate a builder to build one for you.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #141 of 256
So in your opinion, the carbon is right there with the BHSE? I just got the Carbon couple of weeks ago. And it really is something special with the SR009s. Granted my other ES Amp was the SR252s, so I don't really have another reference point. But boy am I enjoying this combo.

Sep 2, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #142 of 256
So in your opinion, the carbon is right there with the BHSE? I just got the Carbon couple of weeks ago. And it really is something special with the SR009s. Granted my other ES Amp was the SR252s, so I don't really have another reference point. But boy am I enjoying this combo.

Yes, IMO they are on par but sound different. The bass may have a bit more impact and goes deeper on the Carbon, the midrange on the BHSE may be slightly warmer / more realistic. But it is subtle, not night and day IMO. The Carbon also has various versions with or without the LV boards and different parts and pot. I wonder if they can sound slightly different between versions? I have not heard enough to compare that though.

Generally I am in the 'tubes somewhere' camp, and in my mind having tubes in the DAC or amp can be the thing that makes the system gel. It seems to work better for me anyway, YMMV. You can tweak the sound a bit with the BHSE by rolling tubes, even though it has fets stages before the final EL34 stage, it can still make a difference depending what you are after.

Sep 2, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #144 of 256
Then the T2 will be 13/10. Justin said that the T2 should be slightly better than his amp as the circuit is more complex. Honestly, the Carbon is amazing though I still prefer the overall smooth and sweeter sound of the BHSE. The Carbon has even more solution and more holographic soundstage.

Sep 2, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #145 of 256
Then the T2 will be 13/10. Justin said that the T2 should be slightly better than his amp as the circuit is more complex. Honestly, the Carbon is amazing though I still prefer the overall smooth and sweeter sound of the BHSE. The Carbon has even more solution and more holographic soundstage.

Is Justin's soon to be released new amp a version of the T2 (KGs amp)?

Sep 2, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #147 of 256
Sorry, misunderstood the previous post by Purk. So next question, anyone know what the new amp from Justin will be like (design) and when it will be on sale?

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #148 of 256
Is Justin's soon to be released new amp a version of the T2 (KGs amp)?

Justin will release an "All Tubes" (not Hybrid like the BHSE) of his own design.

Sep 3, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #150 of 256
Dht output tubes with solid state current sources

Interesting. So like the Shangri-La all tube stage (input and output). The T2 is a hybrid so this new amp is going to be something radical by the sounds of it. Any idea how far it has got, and price of it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back