STAX SR-007MK2 with MK1 drivers?
Oct 27, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #17 of 25
The difference between the two iterations is not really in the driver, it has a lot more to do with the enclosure itself, and how they addressed the issue of the "fart". If you prefer the Mk.1 sound (and you may or may not) the Mk. 2 can easily be modified by plugging the port. Birgir has posted guides on how this is accomplished, and it's not too involved.

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #18 of 25
The difference between the two iterations is not really in the driver, it has a lot more to do with the enclosure itself, and how they addressed the issue of the "fart". If you prefer the Mk.1 sound (and you may or may not) the Mk. 2 can easily be modified by plugging the port. Birgir has posted guides on how this is accomplished, and it's not too involved.

Ah, yeah, I read about that. In all likelihood, I'll end up with multiple SR-007s like him.

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #19 of 25
My understanding from Birgir (who no longer posts here, as you know) is that sz1 and sz2 share the same driver but have different housings requiring modification of the sz2 to sound like the sz1. The sz3 on the other hand, also referred to as the MK2.5, cannot be modded to sound like the sz1 because of changes to the drivers. So some MK2s can be modded and some cannot, depending upon the serial. I have never heard a sz3 model, but have heard the sz2, which is quite different from the 70xxx, 71xx, and sz1 cans i have had. Still quite good, but curious as to how they would sound modded.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #20 of 25
My understanding from Birgir (who no longer posts here, as you know) is that sz1 and sz2 share the same driver but have different housings requiring modification of the sz2 to sound like the sz1. The sz3 on the other hand, also referred to as the MK2.5, cannot be modded to sound like the sz1 because of changes to the drivers. So some MK2s can be modded and some cannot, depending upon the serial. I have never heard a sz3 model, but have heard the sz2, which is quite different from the 70xxx, 71xx, and sz1 cans i have had. Still quite good, but curious as to how they would sound modded.

I find it odd that in their promo materials (such as the manual that comes with the headphones), STAX state that the current SR-007MK2 has "improved sound quality", yet the vast majority of those who listen to the old and new SR-007 strongly feel otherwise. My main reason for still being interested in the black MK2 is that I like its looks more than any other headphone.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #21 of 25

I didn't mean that I preferred any of them, because I didn't get to A/B test them at the same time.  MK2 sounded very nice to my ears though.  

The fart that I mention is the famous "fart" like sound from the drivers of SR007 MK1.  Very often you can hear it when you're wearing the headphones and suddenly turning your head or when you're chewing something. 

Humm, I recall my (ported) mk2/sz3 making much louder farting sound than my current (~sealed) mk1.

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #22 of 25
in the interest of longevity it's probably a better idea to port mod your mk2s and keep them rather than chase after mk1s. The mk2 changes were also made to deal with the cable strain relief issues iirc

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #24 of 25
Did stax not implement similar porting on the sz3 series? I remember sprizter saying they were a bit of a lost cause but I don't think he mentioned why. 

Having poked around inside the mk1s I'd personally want a more mechanically sound solution to the cable- more than the sound, given the age/supply/blah blah

I've only heard the 70x and 71x versions though so I can't speak to the sonic differences between those and the szx series

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #25 of 25
Actually, what you see mechanically in terms of strain relief on the mk1 is pretty much the same as the mk2 (I don't see any difference). I suspect if there is any difference, it cannot be seen without opening up the cable.

And yes, all mk2 have the port, but sz2 serial have mk1 drivers while sz3 serial have something else. You also apparently need to track down mk1 earpad springs (which are smaller than the mk2 springs). This I expect would be tricky - don't know. I have a spare set that I will never part with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back