STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4 Years Of Ownership
Aug 11, 2003 at 2:20 AM Post #46 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
*shrug* Different strokes for different folks.
wink.gif

Yeah, yeah. You're right, Vert...that's a great sitcom!

dstrokesauto3.jpg

biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #47 of 58
Do you realize that 3 of the people in that picture have spent some serious time in jail?

Aug 11, 2003 at 8:58 AM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat
You took great care to define and differentiate the terms headstage and soundstage, and to show why listening to the Omega II is such a joy because of its strengths in the area of spatial reproduction. My primary question is this: How important are headstage and soundstage perception when the general goal is music reproduction? How important are spatial issues for our real-life musical experience? Aren't we aware that all headphones are naturally limited in that regard because the effects of head-related transfer functions are largely suspended when we listen with headphones? Isn't music listening through headphones enjoyable in spite of this limitation?

lets say you got a damn uncomfortable headphone. wouldn't that ruin your experience, no matter how good is the sound for you?
the artificial headstage feature in headphones bothers me, i can call the headstage a type of comfort issue, because the character of it will be in the way to the music in some degree- and music reproduction is all about you and how you expand psychologicaly into the hi-fidelity experience - as a live concert fan, you should understand! - and i'll would take the descripition of a certain headphone in that regard into consideration.
Aren't headphones enjoyable in their own right because they possess strengths that are far more meaningful for music reproduction? Outstanding low-level resolution and the harmonic and rhythmic cohesion only a full-range transducer can offer, for example.
Quote:

...I believe audiophiles love discussing soundstages because they are easily perceived and they lend themselves to an analytical listening approach. However, perceiving soundstage information is nothing that seems important when we listen in a real-life concert. In a real concert, we can see the instruments of the symphonic orchestra, we can see the string quartet.

but we aren't in a real concert..
Quote:

I believe the audiophile's preoccupation with spatial clues is, in fact, a preoccupation with visual clues that are so obviously missing in reproduced music. Where a musician and his instrument are on the stage is far less important than what is played, how it is played, and when. Getting the harmonic, rhythmic and dynamic relationships within a musical piece and within an orchestra right, to me, that's the task of music reproduction. I want the recreation of music, not space. In order to be emotionally affected by music, in order to recreate the musical experience, I don't have to see it - I want to hear it.

i can't see how that contradicts darth's saying.. we all analytical in some way - that doesn't say the sound of our system are analytical to our ears. more then that, it's not only a habbit of headphone listeners (the sound world would be in trouble if it was..)
darth displayed a different approach - maybe he didn't talk about the inners of the specific music and his feel of the music because it's about his personal favourite music and personal emotional response to it.
instead, he describes the technical tasks for a system to provide you of what you want. maybe it's hard to see it because his article is a bit misleading - it's not a headphone evaluation tool provider, as an analysis of the behaviour of sound (in real life too) and some ways you can use it to evaluate that fake thing you are wearing on your head.
the world was mathematical before our brain started o precieve it, we can't ignore that.

Aug 15, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #49 of 58
damn, son. this was an amazing piece. you truly deserve the title of the anti-goose.

thanks for the wonderful work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2003 at 7:49 AM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by bifcake
I wish someone would write a comprehensive review comparing the Stax 007/t to the Orpheus. I wonder if at 3 times the price, the Orpheus delivers better performance thanj the Stax.

While I can't say anything about the 007t vs. the HEV90, I did spend a good deal of time comparing the Omega2 (SR-007) with the HE90s at the recent Seattle meet (using zzz's Cary as the source and his Weebl/Kevin Gilmore Hybrid as the amp... this was before the Weebl decided to commit hari-kiri). I found that for me, at least, the HE90s sound much more neutral, tonally speaking, though at the cost of some bass weight [not to be confused with response - using my KGSS with the volume turned up (FOR A VERY SHORT PERIOD OF TIME) I've *felt* the HE90s earpads vibrate to the bass]; the HE90s sounded amazing with classical music but peaky and painfully bright for Pink Floyd/Radiohead/etc. The SR-007s, in comparison, were dark with heavy emphasis on the bass - a combination that sounded quite awful for classical music but quite good for rock music. Of course, since you can rotate the earpads and change the sound quite considerably, it's quite possible that I could have reduced what I found was a considerable bass-hump if I'd found the right earpad position.

Aug 23, 2003 at 8:03 AM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson M.
Amusing. You say the Omegas have a bass hump while zzz told me that the Orpheus has a mid-bass dip.
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

See, I'm used to the HE90s, he's used to the Omegas...

Aug 23, 2003 at 8:30 AM Post #53 of 58
Eric,

Given a choice, would you go with the HD600/equinox and Cary 300SEI combo or the Orpheus if money wasn't an issue? How about the above Senn combo vs Stax?

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #57 of 58
Leave it to a headfier to take a fairly simple concept, and write pages of gargled mouth fodder. Still, a very artistic take of the otherwise rudimentary logic necessary to come to your conclusions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back