Stax SR-007 MK2 Cable replacement and getting the bleedin cups back on!
Apr 2, 2014 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

astrostar59

Banned
Member of the Trade: Aries Cerat Espana, Auriculares High-End
AKA Headstage, headphoneweekend
Hi all
My Border Collie jumped on my phones lead and strained the cable at the clamp area, resulting in it cutting out in the right earpiece.

So, I have replaced the cable with a genuine Stax part. Soldering was a bit fiddly as the wires are really thin. I found the best way was lay the wires in the lower cable clip, offer up the clip to the position (with the speakers out of the frames) and solder the ends. Then carefully set the clip in position, screw in on, then add the top clip cover. 

I was doing fine until I got to put the ear cups back on! Lets say a few new words and many hours were spend getting them back on. The technique I used in the end for that, was press the whole cup close to the frame with one hand, and carefully feed in the leather edge. It is very tricky, as the inner spring will slip into the front grove real easy.

Once I got half way round, it got a bit easier, with just the last bit being tight. Then get a none sharp object and carefully feed the leather right into the groves

About 2.5 hours getting the cups on!!!!!! Maybe Stax have Elves that appear with thin fingers and lots of patience who put them on while we all sleep?

They sound great now, slightly clearer I think, maybe the solder joins were a bit dodgy before, not sure.

I love the Stax sound, and have had 4 models over the years (3 Lambdas). BUT I think the build should be more robust at this price. Many many cheaper dynamic phones around are built better. 

Anyway, I still love Stax, though my other half thinks I am having a nervous breakdown!

BTW do the SR-009s have the same fiddly cups method.

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 2
I came across this old post.  I found a simple way of getting the earpads back on using a blunt knife(and I mean like a butter knife)  to poke the leather back into the slot that runs around the edge of  the earcups.   Basically you put the earpads in place but leave a portion of the leather that will hang down over the slot where it is to be tucked in.  Poke the leather gently into the slot with the blunt knife and just keep working around the earcup until it is all in.  Takes 1-2 minutes to get it all in. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back